• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ginger again :(

This isn't working :'(

She's refusing food AGAIN this morning and is lethargic :cry:

What am i doing wrong :(

Back to the vets again shortly, i can't go to the emergency vets, i genuinely have not enough money to pay for the out of hours fee. I have the first appt available this morning though. She's had metacam, emiprid and fibreplex this morning, as directed by the vet to give if it happened again, but it's not perked her up like it did yesterday.

parsnipbun, thank you for your post :) Ginger has pathetic kidney function, pasteurella and unknown genetic problems, so we already know we may have further issues are may now be on borrowed time.

I can't handle this, i think she's giving up :cry:

So sorry to see this. Hope you get on ok at the vets and Ginger soons picks up.

Hugs to all of you. x

The pattern of eating then not eating is awfully reminiscent of my kidney stone buns Bramble and Damson. The pain came intermttently as a stone would move or re-adjust and is excruciatingly painful. We used strong painkiller (beyond metacam - we used ketamin as bupronorphine make them very woozy and less likely to eat again making the gut sluggish) . It was like a miracle - 15 mins after an injection they would be stuffing and looking at me as if to say 'why have you been starving me???"

In the longer term obviously this is not a solution but maybe worth trying just to discount severe pain as a factor?

The pattern of eating then not eating is awfully reminiscent of my kidney stone buns Bramble and Damson. The pain came intermttently as a stone would move or re-adjust and is excruciatingly painful. We used strong painkiller (beyond metacam - we used ketamin as bupronorphine make them very woozy and less likely to eat again making the gut sluggish) . It was like a miracle - 15 mins after an injection they would be stuffing and looking at me as if to say 'why have you been starving me???"

In the longer term obviously this is not a solution but maybe worth trying just to discount severe pain as a factor?

She's been admitted again and i've mentioned your idea (prior to reading this post) and if she feels xrays are necessary, she'll do them today.

Thank you :)

I really, really hope you and ginger get on well this morning.

Lots of love and vibes, I will be keeping an eye on this thread xxx

She's gone under GA for xrays, it's risky as she's lost weight and isn't eating, but the vet can't find anything else wrong :(

Back