• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting rid of cleaning out waste

Pippin'sMum

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone, my local Rescue has been told by our local authority waste disposal that she can only take 15kg of animal waste per month to landfill. She currently has 20+ rabbits in waiting for new homes, and cleans out three times per week with spot cleans of litter trays most days. She therefore has several binliners full of cleanings out to dispose of every week. Has anyone else had a problem with disposing of used litter? Her MP is looking into this for her. She does not board rabbits, or make any money from the Rescue, and is at her wits end knowing what to do. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. She has been in touch with allotment associations and gardeners for composting, but obviously it's quite a lot of waste.

I think this might be a similar problem for me soon, with 60 rabbits I fill 5+ bags a day and they are introducing black bins for each household. I don't have any practical advice, maybe buy an incinerator which I would hate to have to do but extreme circumstances ......

Hi thanks for your post. I've tried an incinerator for my own bunnies' waste but because I use shavings as a base for bedding (as does the rescue) it tends to smoulder rather than burn, which may annoy the neighbours!

You could try private waste companies - at least in the short term.

The other place you could try would be horse/farm yards, as they might have compost heaps already.

If she doesn't already, lining the hutches with lino and only using litter in the tray can help reduce waste too.

Bunny waste makes really good compost. Our council does an email newsletter to all allotment holders about 2 or 3 times a year. The last one had an advert for free horse manure from a stable. Could she contact the local council department who run the allotments and do a similar ad? Some sites also have an Allotment Association who run their own site for the council (the council will have a list of these), and some sites may have noticeboards - you could try putting a card up on those. Offering a delivery service usually helps to speed the process up. Once you have found someone on site who is interested and will spread the word, it can be really useful - it's finding the right person. We have various people who drop off loads of woodchip or manure in bulk to an agreed / approved area and everyone can just help themselves.

Some people seem to advertise on things like Freecycle, Preloved, eBay, etc.

Thanks, that's really helpful! I think she's already contacted an allotment group but I'll let her know of your other tips

I have this problem too, even with just the two rabbits! They have several trays of hay in their shed and with our black bins only being emptied every two weeks we're usually overflowing. It makes me sad that we don't have a compost heap/allotment to use it all on. :roll:

Mine goes into the garden waste bin....
Think I'm going to try this and see if they take it. If they do then it's definitely problem solved!

Our council recently changed from accepting vegetarian pet waste in the garden waste to now no pet waste at all. It's such a pain, given that it is compostible.

I use our green bin for hay waste, hidden like you. So far so good 😄 Waste disposal is the reason I can only have 4 rabbits..

My bunnies waste currently goes in black bags & into the general household waste bin - sneaking it into the garden waste certainly seems less 'wasteful' and would save me using so many bin bags. Can everything go in? Currently using megazorb and hay in the litter tray, with a layer of paper at the bottom which I wouldn't put in the garden waste.

I use plain wood pellets or cellulose for the litter tray & it's a great fertilizer, I alternate between using it for my pots & giving it to neighbors, so I never waste it in bins.

Στάλθηκε από το MZ601 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

My bunnies waste currently goes in black bags & into the general household waste bin - sneaking it into the garden waste certainly seems less 'wasteful' and would save me using so many bin bags. Can everything go in? Currently using megazorb and hay in the litter tray, with a layer of paper at the bottom which I wouldn't put in the garden waste.
I use the same (without the paper) and it just goes straight in the garden waste bin as both hay and megazorb are natural products.

I emailed my local council and they say only garden waste in the brown bin so I'll either hide the litter or maybe start composting it myself. I have great intentions of growing lots of bunny friendly plants / herbs / veggies once the weather is better so it makes more sense to put the litter to good use. I'm not exactly green fingered so I could use all the help I can get!

Luckily I know a veg. and flower grower who takes all my rabbit's compost each week. Its amazing how much they manage to produce!

Back