• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting excited about buying a bale of hay!

Yep definitely the same lady!! That Border Collie followed me all the way down the track, I was worrying about running her over!! The hay is lovely, there's loads of wild flowers in it and she doesn't use fertilisers so all organic. Even Zac, who's not a massive hay eater has been tucking in! I'll definitely be going back.

Definitely the same place then. I was worried about running the doggy over too. I had to reverse down the driveway to the bales of hay and the dog kept going out of my sight, the dog was probably very sensible but I hated reversing knowing she was running around.

Did you get photos? :D:D

£5 a bale is still a huge saving; I hope the bunnies like it. :thumb:

I've a feeling I've read in the Highway Code that it's illegal to take photographs of cyclists' bottoms whilst driving. I was doing less than five miles an hour some of the time though so it might be worth checking the sub-paragraphs to see if it's legal in that case.:p

I've a feeling I've read in the Highway Code that it's illegal to take photographs of cyclists' bottoms whilst driving. I was doing less than five miles an hour some of the time though so it might be worth checking the sub-paragraphs to see if it's legal in that case.:p

:lol::lol::lol: Yes do check, and hope they're cycling past again the next time you go. :lol:

I bought my first bale a couple of weeks ago for £3.50 and i was sooo chuffed because i was spending about £25 for the same amount (possibly more) i got nearly 7 bin bags out of it and the buns went nuts for it - it's got dried flowers and things in it and smells sooo much nicer than the pet shop stuff. :love:

My problem is storing it and the person i get it from is only having one more delivery this year :shock: So i've ordered another bale and he'll keep it for me til needed (tempted to order another one but i dont know if hay 'goes off'??)

I bought my first bale a couple of weeks ago for £3.50 and i was sooo chuffed because i was spending about £25 for the same amount (possibly more) i got nearly 7 bin bags out of it and the buns went nuts for it - it's got dried flowers and things in it and smells sooo much nicer than the pet shop stuff. :love:

My problem is storing it and the person i get it from is only having one more delivery this year :shock: So i've ordered another bale and he'll keep it for me til needed (tempted to order another one but i dont know if hay 'goes off'??)

It'll only go off if stored in damp conditions ;) Or anywhere mices or bugs can get to it.

It'll only go off if stored in damp conditions ;) Or anywhere mices or bugs can get to it.

So i should really order another 2 bales then! :lol: I was soo worried at the quality with it being that cheap but it is soo much better than the stuff i was getting (and i was told that it was really good quality stuff too).

Thanks - will put my order in today and hope it's not too late. The fab thing is, my Dad works with the fella - so my Dad brings it to me - so no mess in the car! Lol!! He used big bags to put it in and Dad said his car was ok after too.

:thumb:

The hay we're buying now was cut last summer anyway; as long as it's not somewhere damp or where it will sweat (a hot shed in a plastic bag for example) it keeps fine. :)

:thumb:

The hay we're buying now was cut last summer anyway; as long as it's not somewhere damp or where it will sweat (a hot shed in a plastic bag for example) it keeps fine. :)

It's kept in the cupboard under the stairs - i never thought of it sweating - i will check it later. Thanks you x

So i should really order another 2 bales then! :lol: I was soo worried at the quality with it being that cheap but it is soo much better than the stuff i was getting (and i was told that it was really good quality stuff too).

Thanks - will put my order in today and hope it's not too late. The fab thing is, my Dad works with the fella - so my Dad brings it to me - so no mess in the car! Lol!! He used big bags to put it in and Dad said his car was ok after too.

Yeah I always wonder about getting a few bales when it's really nice but it's usually nice stuff and I don't really have room to keep more than one, two at a push.

It's kept in the cupboard under the stairs - i never thought of it sweating - i will check it later. Thanks you x

Indoors is probably fine if it's in plastic. :thumb: Outdoors is more of a problem, and even then it's more the middle of summer when it's like a greenhouse in the shed. :thumb:

We have a little coal shed next to the main brick one & we keep ours in there as it's so much cooler than the main shed.

Indoors is probably fine if it's in plastic. :thumb: Outdoors is more of a problem, and even then it's more the middle of summer when it's like a greenhouse in the shed. :thumb:

We have a little coal shed next to the main brick one & we keep ours in there as it's so much cooler than the main shed.

We've a coal shed on our outhouse but hubby keep his junk in there and i am terrified of the huuuuge spider that live in there. :oops: If the bin gets moved to near the door there - i wont use it because i am scared of them coming out to get me! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Our coal shed used to be full of spiders until I started storing the hay in there; you'd put your face inside the doorway and be covered in spider webs. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now the shed is in constant use though, they don't seem to like it and have moved on. *phew* :lol::lol:

Ditto our garage although there are still a few spiders around *shudder* I just try not to think about them and do what I need to as quick as poss!

Well, i just went through all the bin bags and they all seem fine - my house smells lovely of hay now!! :lol: I'll keep them indoors. :D

Back