• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Amy Spayed- Update: The Stitches Saga

Do you think it would be alright if I let Amy out in the playpen a while tomorrow? I suddenly have a lot more free time.

she mustn't be allowed to jump onto anything but a little bit of exercise should be all right. Has Amy had a 2-day check?

I think she's been biting at her stitches. I have a cone of shame but she's being very grumpy with me and I don't want to hurt her putting it on. What should I do?

Keep a really close eye on her & if she is chewing them she will probably need to wear the cone as it really needs to heal.

Well, I put the playpen next to her cage, connected the doors, and let her out. She bounced around a while, then started going for her stitches again. I told her off, and she is so mortally offended that she's spent half the time in her cage. She's in the huff with me now. Good news is that she's started to eat her pellets now; if she finishes the bowl I'll go back to her regular feeding schedule. She really doesn't like the taste of the painkillers either, she got pretty ,ad at me for that too.

Taken her through to the couch for a little while, since she's almost back to eating normally and seems to be a bit stir crazy. Took some pictures of her stitches on my phone; uploading them now.

Stitches:

image-1.jpg

I've asked Jane if she will have a look as your rabbit looks diferent to mine after spay.

Thank you. It doesn't look inflamed to me, and I don't think she's pulled anything out yet. I'm not too sure what the dark thing at the bottom is; looks like a scab to me, but I could be completely wrong. My mother was the one taking the actual pictures as I held her up, and couldn't get it too close. Amy loves being cuddled and sitting on my lap, but hates being picked up or held, and I didn't want to stress her out. The only way to get a very close look would be to trance, which I of course don't want to do.

I've been keeping an eye on her; it takes about five Mississipi's for her to eat her soft poos, and she only licks it during normal washing, or her flanks and feet as well. I'll probably call the vet tomorrow for any advice they can give other than the cone; I do like the ides of a tube bandage or shirt sleeve, but it is very low down her body and voila be difficult to cover.

Just a reminder; the stitches are the dissolving kind, and we are to go back for a check up (and vaccinations) in ten to fourteen days. I've been giving her painkillers every day at five since Wednesday, she's eating most of her pellets though I don't think she's back to eating hay yet.

Last edited:
Something I've just remembered: a week or so ago, before the spay, I found some fur she'd pulled out in a pile by her cage; she's also shedding, but this was quite a bit, and because it was white and I couldn't find any bald spots, I assumed she'd plucked some from her dewlap/chest. And now earlier, when I went to give her the painkillers, I found a similar though slightly larger pile by her cage again, white and fluffy. Not sure where that came from; could she be taking some from her tummy due to discomfort, or something?

That looks neat, tidy and fine to my untrained eye. Often they use internal stitches but here there are external ones. Doesn't look like she has been annoying them much and the skin is a nice pink colour. If it has been a few days chances are she will heal just fine now.

She will hopefully be back to herself soon.

Looks as though she may have nibbled some sutures out, but there will also be subcutaneous ones and the wound appears to be healing OK.

The fur pulling may be hormonal, sounds as though she has been having pseudo-pregnancies. Her hormones will take a few weeks to calm down.

Looks as though she may have nibbled some sutures out, but there will also be subcutaneous ones and the wound appears to be healing OK.

The fur pulling may be hormonal, sounds as though she has been having pseudo-pregnancies. Her hormones will take a few weeks to calm down.

She had at least one not long after I first got her; I saw her nesting but no fur pulling. Would probably explain her current moodiness.

That's a relief; thank you. I'll try and check them often and nudge her to stop when I catch her doing it. I'm putting her back now as I need to go in the shower.

I had two spayed on Friday and I have them on vet bed with some hay in and a fleece over the top of their indoor cage although at the moment it's quite humid. One of them Alice a tiny nethie just started to eat properly last night and the other one Pebbles has eaten half her breakfast today. Both look very unhappy but then it's a big op and they will be very sore for a few days and we are just giving them some pain relief. I'm keeping them in their indoor cages while they are healing and I'm hoping by tomorrow they are better than today. I've also checked their op site's on them both today to make sure they have no infections and it all looked nice and clean.

I find that very few eat the same day as their op especially the females , most will eat later on the following day and some can take up to 3-4 days to eat but we usually have started syringe feeding by then :)

Back