• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Amy Spayed- Update: The Stitches Saga

As most people no when I had Skye spayed she was at the vets for nearly 3 days as she had been refusing to eat or go to the toilet. It was a worrying time but I am glad I got her spayed as Skye's and pepsi's bond is a lot stronger now

Hope Amy is feeling a little brighter this morning, they love some grass after their op, is it possible to pick some? Don't worry if she is still uninterested in eating properly today, she just needs to be kept quiet.

It can take a bit of time for them to start being interested in food properly again - took Cheyenne 2 weeks after her spay.

Hope Amy is feeling a bit better this morning.

I picked Doughnut up about 6pm and she didn't start eating really until the following day at about 1pm, just to give you an idea! As long as a little something is going in and out to keep the gut going. I also gave her fibreplex when she was spayed. She loved the taste as it's carrotty and it keeps the gut moving, so you could always try that.

Maybe some fresh grass as well to tempt her. At least you have the metacam so she will be kept pain free.

She was a bit brighter this morning. She did a few more squishy poos before I was in bed, and there were some small normal looking ones today. I don't think she ate much more; I'll give her some fresh greens, pellets and water and change her tray in a bit and see if I can pick some grass from the garden. Not sure if we're going shopping today; if we are, I'll get some yummy greens and weetabix. Not entirely sure how I'll get to check the wound and give her the painkillers yet, but we'll manage.

She sounds like she is recovering well. You can put the Metacam on a little piece of Weetabix. Have you got to go for a 2-day check tomorrow?

She sounds like she is recovering well. You can put the Metacam on a little piece of Weetabix. Have you got to go for a 2-day check tomorrow?

No; they said to take her in for a check in ten to fourteen days. The stitches are the dissolving kind. I'll arrange for her vaccinations at that time too.

This might be an odd question, but will her dewlap go away? I think she's a little overweight, so I'll be reducing her pellets and biscuits once she's back to normal, but is one year too old for it to disappear post spay? I'm in two minds about how it makes her look; when she's loafing it's like a cute in built pillow, but when she's moving about it's sticking out and is a bit unappealing. Not that my baby isn't the cutest rabbit in the world ever, of course, but I've just never really liked the look of dewlaps.

Well, she must be feeling better, as she decided to rip the old newspaper in her litter tray as I was changing it, then sat on the fresh one and looked at me as if to say 'now what?'

I've given her some broken up crackers and digestives; I'll see about getting grass in a little while, as mum has gone up to the vet's to get the dog's ashes and her sand dad have literally just come home.

She made the most hilariously disgusted reaction when I gave her the painkillers. She didn't want to take them at first, but I just did a quick squirt in her mouth. Lost a couple of drops but most of it got in. She's done a few more poos as well.

Yay sounds like she is getting back to normal. I think Doughnut fancied her pellets after about 3 days, until then it was fresh herbs, grass and hay.

Amy's doing okay; though, sadly, I woke this morning to find my chinchilla, Kurt, dead. He was about eighteen months, we've had him just over a year, and I have no :censored: idea why he died; something hormonal, a brain tumour maybe, or just plain old heatstroke. Between this and the dog having to be euthanised on the Fourth, I just don't know, though Amy did give me some kisses.

Pleased Amy is feeling a little better but sorry about your Chinni and dog. :( Sending vibes that Amy continues to recover.

Thank you for the vibes. Amy's feeling well enough to start chewing the newspaper up and be mischievous. I'll refresh her water bowl and greens in a bit.

How's Amy doing today? I know I felt bad when my two girls were sitting there looking poorly. Hope she is eating better today, lots more vibes :)

Sorry was typing a reply then your other posts appeared, I'm really sorry to hear about Kurt & your dog. Run free at the bridge little ones x

Sometimes things seem to come all at once, stay strong, hugs

Last edited:
Back