• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Amy Spayed- Update: The Stitches Saga

Loads of vibes for Amy - and for you too - it's a worrying time. We've had 4 girls spayed now and all recovered at different rates, the shortest being Harley who was back to normal within 24 hours, and the longest was Cheyenne who took a good 2 weeks before she was 100% back to herself. It took them all at least 12 hours before they were interested in food -and even then it was just the odd bits of tried dandelion leaf.

One thing I did which I think helped keep the gut moving - and the poops coming - was after 24 hours I let them out for a brief run around the lounge - they all popped out of their hutches/pens for just a few minutes, stretched their legs and then came back - and it seemed to help them. It was entirely their own choice though - at no point did I force them out.

Do insist on pain meds though - for some weird reason my vets won't give them and last time I had a real fight, insisting I take some home - I won that battle thank goodness and it was well worth getting stroppy.

Keep letting us know how she is getting on.:thumb:

Good luck, she probably won't want her pellets so don't worry when she doesn't. They normally want fresh food.

Just keep an eye on her, you will know when she is in pain but hopefully it will be painfree if you keep giving the metacam. I had trouble syringe feeding Doughnut so I just put the medicine on a tiny bit of weetabix which she loved. It was less stressful for both of us and also meant I didn't have to be careful of the stitches. The first lot of medicine was the following morning.

Called the vet's; Amy's doing fine, she got through it okay, they're just waiting for her to start eating and said to call again at four.

Thank you all for the vibes; I've set up her cage with her soft bed, her hidey bed (that she never hides in, only flops on), hay in her hay box where it won't be messy, pellets with a forage garnish and a couple of her biscuits (she goes crazy for those biscuits), some greens/herbs (got carrots with green tops Friday; made carrot oatmeal cookies and chopped up the tops), her water bottle, and a water bowl. She has a blanket I've been sleeping with to make it smell line me with her at the vet's that will go with her when she's back.

They did say to give the metacam (though it's under a different name up here, like how Prozac is the corporate name, not the real name) tomorrow; I did mention the forum and how helpful you all were and how I was advised to ask questions and get painkillers. Whilst they did say that an intact female and a castrated male would be fine as they didn't do spays often because of the risk (and some people probably put off by the cost), they do seem quite competent. 8/10, I'd say.

I'll probably sit with her for a bit when she's home, for comfort and reassurance (don't ask for whom). I don't want to fuss and distress her, but I'll keep a close eye with frequent checks. I'm mostly hoping that Kurt, when he gets out tomorrow, is good and quiet; I don't want him to bite me, me tell hi off fir it and upset Amy in the process.

I mostly want to nap right now.

Called the vet's; Amy's doing fine, she got through it okay, they're just waiting for her to start eating and said to call again at four.

Thank you all for the vibes; I've set up her cage with her soft bed, her hidey bed (that she never hides in, only flops on), hay in her hay box where it won't be messy, pellets with a forage garnish and a couple of her biscuits (she goes crazy for those biscuits), some greens/herbs (got carrots with green tops Friday; made carrot oatmeal cookies and chopped up the tops), her water bottle, and a water bowl. She has a blanket I've been sleeping with to make it smell line me with her at the vet's that will go with her when she's back.

They did say to give the metacam (though it's under a different name up here, like how Prozac is the corporate name, not the real name) tomorrow; I did mention the forum and how helpful you all were and how I was advised to ask questions and get painkillers. Whilst they did say that an intact female and a castrated male would be fine as they didn't do spays often because of the risk (and some people probably put off by the cost), they do seem quite competent. 8/10, I'd say.

I'll probably sit with her for a bit when she's home, for comfort and reassurance (don't ask for whom). I don't want to fuss and distress her, but I'll keep a close eye with frequent checks. I'm mostly hoping that Kurt, when he gets out tomorrow, is good and quiet; I don't want him to bite me, me tell hi off fir it and upset Amy in the process.

I mostly want to nap right now.

Ah - I am so pleased she came through the spay okay - that phone call is always a relief:thumb: And it sounds like you're very prepared for you little pampered princess :love: Loads of vibes for her continued recovery.

This is what the cage now looks like:

imagejpg2-5.jpg

imagejpg1-7.jpg

imagejpg5-4.jpg

imagejpg4-4.jpg

Hiya, sorry missed this thread too. I had two girls done this year and was so nervous for them. My experiences were that they were both quiet but by late that evening they were coming round & starting to nibble at their favourite herbs. I had to syringe feed recovery to both of them that night & also I offered water in a syringe which they both were happy to drink straight from the syringe (no needle in it obviously) main thing with rabbits is keep they tummies working so keep an eye on input and output.

My girls poops were quite small & dark to start with but soon went back to normal.

Though they are outside buns I had them indoors on complete rest for a week as per vets advice. Your set up looks comfy though I would worry about those boxes as Amy may be tempted to jump on them. Instead of providing cover inside the cage could you put a small sheet over the top of one end to make her feel more enclosed?

Vibes for her recovery :)

Hi, hope Amy is home and recovering well :thumb: I agree with Claire-uk about the boxes, you don't want anything in there that she can jump on until she is fully recovered.

We're back. Amy is quiet and not very happy (I think she's in the huff with me, actually) and took a little time to go to her cage from the carrier but has lain down and seems alright. They have me a cone of shame- small one- in case she goes for her stitches, an info sheet and Loxicom (or Meloxicam) to be given orally (or on food) once a day for a week. She hasn't eaten yet; if she still hasn't in a few hours, I might give her some Oxbrow fine grind, just to know she has something in her. I think she's still mostly asleep; I'll stay with her until dinner and check on her after.

She's not moved much, just to loaf rather than flop, and although she's drinking I don't think she's eaten. She seems very sleepy. I don't think she's pooed. The last thing I am certain she ate was just over twelve hours ago now. If she hasn't eaten in another three, I'll give her the Oxbrow mush.

She's done a nice big pee, in her litter tray too; no poo, but I'm quite certain she ate some greens and is moving about a bit now.

When I had my girls spayed they were quite dozy in the evening, I think its normal for bunnies to go off pellets but mine arent normal, mine went off hay for a couple of days. I tempted them with dandelion leaves, herbs, readigrass and pellets. It's good she's drank and had some greens, I'd keep offering her favourite foods by hand if necessary and see if you can tempt her :thumb:

I replaced her old greens with fresh ones and found a very small, hard poo beside her. She hasn't eaten much more; I'm a little surprised she hasn't nibbled her biscuits. She loves those biscuits, goes absolutely gaga over them. She's mostly keeping to that one corner, so everything is in reach.

We'll be going shopping tomorrow; do you think it would it would be okay to get a carrot and give her a wee bit? Or is that too much?

She's pooed! She did a big, soft sticky poo when I went in to talk to her. Picture to come!

ETA: Poop pic- sorry about poor quality; quick snap on iPhone. I was quite surprised that she's mannered enough to do it in her tray, but she took the few steps over.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Only just seen this thread.

When mine were spayed, I had quite a bit of trouble with getting Daisy to eat, I was syringe feeding her, and was giving her anything and everything that I knew she liked! I had success with ellas kitchen baby food, and herbs :thumb: Maizie and Daisy weren't interested in pellets etc for quite a few days afterwards.

Glad she's pooing :thumb: certainly means she's on the mend :D

Back