• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Get well" wishes would be welcome

Thank you all for whatever you have been sending us. I've had a lot of sleep & thought over the relationship between Thumper & I.
I don't think he's any different from any other rabbit. It's just that we were brought together in unusual circumstances, because I've been almost house bound throughout, & so able to spend much more time with him than most people, just watching to try to understand him - realize that we live in the same world but he perceives it very differently, - try to encourage communication by responding appropriately.

Doubtless I'll lose all credibility, but I've been avoiding a repeated observation that there are a lot of times when Thumper knows what I'm thinking, in considerable detail. He invariably responds every time I make an appointment to see the vet. On Tues he rushed back upstairs & started to eat as soon as I put the 'phone down. Then "hid" under the side board. When it was time to go I hand fed him some pellets, he was enjoying them until I thought about putting his toy rabbit & a jumper I'd been wearing for the smell of me in his carrier. The reaction was dramatic. [I distinguish 3 types of thumping. "I want something - Look at me & I'll show you". There's "That isn't on - don't do it" and the standard - "There's danger around".] He gave a "That's not on" thump & refused to be caught! It's the only time he ever runs away from me. I just prefer he doesn't get hot & bothered before we start, so there are no preparations. He just goes straight in the carrier, (which he'll use as a safe place the rest of the time!) then his "comforters" & we're off. There are endless examples in different situations.
I've concluded that Thumper communicates best by ESP but I can't do it.
A forum member wrote "rabbits communicate by whispering in a frequency we can't hear". I more than suspect that not only can we not hear it, but don't even know how to detect it.:shock:
So if I'm right - poor little boy will have picked up every time I've worried about us being separated, & my efforts to work out a way we can stay together, with enough indoor & safe outdoor space for him.
The odd thing is, that although he's very frightened when we go for a dental - he's not stressed out by it. His wee is nice & pale when he comes home.
It's rather discomforting to think that your bunny may know you far better than you know him or her - well mine does. Crackers? Well it's taken me 4 years to "get there". I can't find an alternative explanation for the facts.
So we've had a long talk about vets - I'll never just abandon him somewhere - loads of "cuddles & I think tomorrow will be better.

Hi Judy,I'm so glad Thumper is feeling better.I wish people could see with their own eyes just what Thumper is like.IL never forget when i came to your house and he was ringing a bell.you said he rings the bell once for food and twice for knooky:shock::shock:,I hope I got that in the right order.Also when Thumper is in the garden you just have to call his name and little dog rabbit comes in like a shot.I can honestly say i have never seen anything like the relationship that you have with him and I truly believe he understands everything you say.I wish I could call my bunnies and they would come in:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:I will give you a ring later

Thank you for all your get well wishes. Yes Maizey, Thumper & I have an unusual relationship. Strangely he's really good at relating to visitors too. He likes people. All credit to rabbits, & their ability to communicate to "thick" hoomans, & adapt to our environment.

Well he's brighter, but eating is still an issue, not enough poops for HIM. I just know him so well now. He has to eat loads of fiber or he slowly slips into tummy probs. & the key is getting things going in the earliest stages. We'll try some fennel this evening. He can't be obstructed, so if that doesn't work I think I'll give a 1 off dose of zantac. I just try to keep meds in reserve for when necessary. He's 4 now, I guess he'll start to need meds more frequently as he gets older.

Judy you are one of the kindest,genuine,loveliest ladies I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and you are so willing to help everyone even though you have so many problems yourself.I wish people on RU could see you and Thumper to see what a special bond you have.I'm praying so hard for you because you deserve to have a happy life,you have helped save so many lives when you were a doctor,so why is life so cr:censored: for you now.God bless you and your bestist friend.I love you very much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSending massive banish depression vibes and pooing vibes for your baby xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well Thumper is obviously much more comfortable in his mouth after the dental, & not ill. I think he's very insecure because I'm poorly & very tired. He's showing me much of the behaviour a bonded partner shows to the sick partner, particularly today. He won't leave me or eat when I'm sleeping/resting so I'll try to change things around a bit & try to reassure him. He's been really trying to get me up & on my feet today - content enough if I'm up & doing something.
I'll probably go a bit quiet on here, just read a bit. Posting takes a lot of concentration, so I get tired. It can take ages for 1 post, as I have a run round with Thumps until he's hot & tired, flops out by my foot & then I resume the forum! He's so patient & considerate, although by temperament quite an active bun.

I'll not forget the poorly buns, or those who care for them one bit.
I think it's "reassuring vibes" for Thumps that I love him to pieces & I'll get well again!

Hoping you both feel back on form soon. Thumps sounds like the best companion anyone could ask for and that's he's doing his bit for you, just like you do for him when he's not well. x

Back