• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Future pet plans?

my plans have changed. i used to think that when i retire, i'd have a westie. i was saving that dog up for that special time, been longing for the doggie for years (about 20 years!).

however, since having two bunnies, i've realised i don't want that responsibility.

two more bunnies are on their way. that will be four, and me out of pocket, covered in hair and living in a rabbit hutch perhaps for the next ten years.
of course, i'll love it. i love all four bunnies.

but when nature takes its course, if i find the house empty and me still in it, i'm sticking to big hairy hamsters, the best pets of all!

Have I missed something, what's the story about 2 more buns?

I've got 3 guinea-pigs at the moment, 2 rabbits and a cat. I wouldn't change much I don't think, I would love to eventually have a big group of 6 or 8 female guinea-pigs (which my Mum said I can do so I've just got to get a big enough hutch :D ) I don't think I'd get any more rabbits, I like having a pair and I'm happy with one cat too :)

I don't think you could have a herd that big living comfortably in a hutch unless it was like, 6x3 or something.

But I'm sure they'd be fun to watch:D

Lol I often think about this.......

Sad in some ways because I also think about what pets I won't have when they have 'passed' which isn't at all nice to think about but I find it much easier to make these kind of decisions before emotions get in the way and my heart rules my head! :(

I currently have 6 mice (all rescues and in a huge rat cage - mice are better in cages than glass tanks or plastic tanks) but will probably not have mice again once these lovelies have lived out their lives with me. Have been keeping mice for over 3 years now and much as I love them I really, really want to have ratties again (miss them so much!) and keeping mice and rats in the same room would be risky never mind the fact that am not sure I'd have time to clean both rats *and* mice out and rearrange their cages/swap toys round to mentally stimulate them every week. :)

Also currently have 2 Syrian hamsters (also both rescues - unwanted 'freebies' from Preloved sadly) but no plans to have any more when these have passed on. Similar reasons as above really.

Would like to move the guinea piggles downstairs eventually - be safe for them if I do get rats in the future and would just be nice to have them downstairs with us. Long-term I haven't thought too much about as they are only 2 1/2 ish so am hoping that's one decision I won't have to think too much about for a while.

Rabbits - will always have rabbits I feel. They are such a big part of our lives now and we love them to pieces. Am happy with their current set up though would like to add a lawn run and if possible attach the rabbits' current set up to our brick shed. No plans to have any more. They a have such a lovely close bond. I just don't want to risk breaking it. Can't believe I've only had them for just one year, bless 'em - they're wonderful! :love:

Perhaps selfishly; I am determined to sort the house out as much as possible this year so this year my plans are to **not** buy any more cages and not add to my current pets lol. :oops:

Oh and am very happy with my budgies but have decided not to add to them. Sadly lost one suddenly this week - :cry: - so will stick to my current pair for now and try to tame them a bit more.

Would love a dog but doubt we'll ever have one for various reasons. In many ways; we got the rabbits because we knew a dog would be a step too far for us for now. I'd been wanting rabbits for ages and the more we thought about it the more we decided they would be better pets for us.

Oh apologies for waffling! :oops: :oops:

I've got 3 guinea-pigs at the moment, 2 rabbits and a cat. I wouldn't change much I don't think, I would love to eventually have a big group of 6 or 8 female guinea-pigs (which my Mum said I can do so I've just got to get a big enough hutch :D ) I don't think I'd get any more rabbits, I like having a pair and I'm happy with one cat too :)

You'll need a 2X10 space for eight guinea pigs :p

I have it all planned out in case I ever have a house with a garden which I'm allowed to modify :love:

Half the garden will be securely fenced, with a central circular lawn, and the borders all herbs and other bunny safe plants - but fenced off withmesh, so they can nom on the bits that grow through, without killing everything. So they can free range safely (under supervision) and eat tasty things. :D

Probably neeeeever goign to happen...but I can dream :love:

Lol I often think about this.......

Sad in some ways because I also think about what pets I won't have when they have 'passed' which isn't at all nice to think about but I find it much easier to make these kind of decisions before emotions get in the way and my heart rules my head! :(

I currently have 6 mice (all rescues and in a huge rat cage - mice are better in cages than glass tanks or plastic tanks) but will probably not have mice again once these lovelies have lived out their lives with me. Have been keeping mice for over 3 years now and much as I love them I really, really want to have ratties again (miss them so much!) and keeping mice and rats in the same room would be risky never mind the fact that am not sure I'd have time to clean both rats *and* mice out and rearrange their cages/swap toys round to mentally stimulate them every week. :)

Also currently have 2 Syrian hamsters (also both rescues - unwanted 'freebies' from Preloved sadly) but no plans to have any more when these have passed on. Similar reasons as above really.

Would like to move the guinea piggles downstairs eventually - be safe for them if I do get rats in the future and would just be nice to have them downstairs with us. Long-term I haven't thought too much about as they are only 2 1/2 ish so am hoping that's one decision I won't have to think too much about for a while.

Rabbits - will always have rabbits I feel. They are such a big part of our lives now and we love them to pieces. Am happy with their current set up though would like to add a lawn run and if possible attach the rabbits' current set up to our brick shed. No plans to have any more. They a have such a lovely close bond. I just don't want to risk breaking it. Can't believe I've only had them for just one year, bless 'em - they're wonderful! :love:

Perhaps selfishly; I am determined to sort the house out as much as possible this year so this year my plans are to **not** buy any more cages and not add to my current pets lol. :oops:

Oh and am very happy with my budgies but have decided not to add to them. Sadly lost one suddenly this week - :cry: - so will stick to my current pair for now and try to tame them a bit more.

Would love a dog but doubt we'll ever have one for various reasons. In many ways; we got the rabbits because we knew a dog would be a step too far for us for now. I'd been wanting rabbits for ages and the more we thought about it the more we decided they would be better pets for us.

Oh apologies for waffling! :oops: :oops:

Wow:love:

Ive come a long way since having Marley as a single bun in a 3ft double tier hutch! :shock::oops: He could still be living like that id i hadnt found RU!! :shock:

For the moment though im very happy with M&Ds set up, i would like a bigger run though (8x4 instead of their current 6x4) and an extra 4sqft in the playhouse would be nice (6x4 instead of their current 5x4), but they do have a good set up which some people would love to have, so i dont take it for granted. I miss them living indoors, and would love the space to give them their own room - maybe one day when i move out ;) I would really love a trio, but im too afraid to bond Marley & Dolly, and im also concerned about taking on more than i can manage when im ill. I hate myself for giving the piggies up, but it really was best for them and they have the most amazing home now.

In the future though, i hope to rescue/rehome any other pets i get. I would like to consider fostering too. In terms of other pets, i would love to own guinea pigs again in the future, I miss my 3 girls dearly :cry: I would also like a hamster again after fostering Pooh :love: and falling in love all over again.

I will also have a horse again one day, I would love so much to be able to buy Jerry back :cry:

Saying this though, ive suffered so much with my health over the past year, i try not to think about other pets too much. Id be no good to any of them if i continue as i have been :roll:

Last edited:
what with losing sullivan a year ago, i realy dont like to think too much into the future because i couldnt bear not having my guys i have now :(

so for now, bella, jasper the buns and our dog bentley (cavi) is all i need to be happy :)

with that said, i know one day i will own a labrador again, sullivan was an amazing dog and taught me alot. as for buns, they will always be in my life. i hope to own a french lop one day but they will be a single house bun when im home all the time :)

I'd like a group of 3 rabbits, I&J and a boy called Arran or Coll.

I'd like 5 dogs - 2 greyhounds, 1 Saluki, 1 Deerhound and a Lurcher.

I'd like to stick to two cats, I have 2 at the moment. But in the future I will have a ginger or ginger/white moggy and a Norwegian Forest Cat (preferably red or red/white).

No guinea pigs...the three I have are too many :lol:

I'd always like to have 1 hamster, I have one just now, a Dwarf, but my next will be another Syrian, preferably cream/white.

As for pets I don't currently have - I'd love a pair of ferrets. And a hedgehog.

ETA: And all shall be rescues. That's one of the reasons I haven't already got my Deerhound and Saluki. They don't come up in rescue very often up here, if ever. And I don't drive yet. But someday.

Last edited:
I'd like a group of 3 rabbits, I&J and a boy called Arran or Coll.

I'd like 5 dogs - 2 greyhounds, 1 Saluki, 1 Deerhound and a Lurcher.

I'd like to stick to two cats, I have 2 at the moment. But in the future I will have a ginger or ginger/white moggy and a Norwegian Forest Cat (preferably red or red/white).

No guinea pigs...the three I have are too many :lol:

I'd always like to have 1 hamster, I have one just now, a Dwarf, but my next will be another Syrian, preferably cream/white.

As for pets I don't currently have - I'd love a pair of ferrets. And a hedgehog.

Wow, you've got it all planned out!:p

Well, I may just have to disclose my plans as well:oops:

I want my three as long as possible, I adore them, but in future I want a group of lops:
An agouti minilop called Teddy
An orange butterfly dwarf lop called Pickles
And I also want a french lop, german lop and more dwarf lops:oops:

However, I want to rescue, so I will take what I'm given!:D

Oh, names!

I *still* aspire to having a trio of nethies called Pigeon, Wigeon and Smidgen :)

Darn it, no one can say I don't have ambitions!

my future plans are - no more bunnies for me after the 4 i have. i am leaving school in may next year and want to go on to train as a vet, or mounted police officer so wont be able to take any bunny's with me :(

Well if we are naming...my Saluki shall be female and called Sabrina. My Deerhound shall also be female and called Freya, and my Lurcher will be male and called Finn. :D

Hamster will be called Peanut!

I want male red/ginger cats called Dearg (red in Gaelic), Ruadh (another one for red in Gaelic) and Jaffa.

My ferrets will have names when I think of them :lol:

Iv'e got four rabbits but would like a chocolate to add to my collection.

Have 3 cats, nomore they are enough and all young

1 hammy, although after she goes I wont be getting another

Now only have the 1 pony, don't plan on anymre for a cople of years then I would love to get another.

Have a puppy who will be coming in 3weeks, she was a friend for chad but as he sadly passed away will be waiting until shes been spayed then get her a friend. Would love another westie or westie x

Back