• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Froddo has a severe otitis - need advice

Frodo ate some pellets overnight. He is more himself. He is even running for food, but won't eat it. He seems like he wants to eat but he hesitates.
I hand fed him some more pellets today morning, a few straws of hay and some fresh freens.
Maybe the appetite loss is from teeth trimming as i read many people reporting appetite loss for a few days after trimming.
Hope he will be better soon.

Frodo ate some pellets overnight. He is more himself. He is even running for food, but won't eat it. He seems like he wants to eat but he hesitates.
I hand fed him some more pellets today morning, a few straws of hay and some fresh freens.
Maybe the appetite loss is from teeth trimming as i read many people reporting appetite loss for a few days after trimming.
Hope he will be better soon.

If he has tooth root elongation ( skull radiographs are the only way to assess the tooth roots) then treatment on the crowns of the teeth can cause discomfort for several days. Can you ask the Vet if Froddo can remain on Meloxicam for more than three days. He is obviously hungry but it seems that eating hurts him. That’s what I would do anyway.

He had some spurs trimmed in case this was the reason he wasn't eating much hay lately.
Im gonna talk with my vet to give more days of meloxicam ofcourse.
I didn't know that teeth trimming is causing discomfort. Though it would be easier...

He had some spurs trimmed in case this was the reason he wasn't eating much hay lately.
Im gonna talk with my vet to give more days of meloxicam ofcourse.
I didn't know that teeth trimming is causing discomfort. Though it would be easier...

The teeth are burred down, not trimmed. The vibration of the dental burr can irritate the nerves in the tooth roots. This can be painful if the tooth roots are overgrown. Rather like when we get sensitive teeth which can give pain if we bite down hard or if hot or cold food or drink touches the teeth.

Hello all again.
Im writing here so you would remember what was going on with Frodo.
He is fine, but the last week i have a problem with him that is driving me crazy.
All he do when he is out of the cave is to ask for snacks. I always was giving him 1 oxbow treat, but all of the sudden it seems is not enough for him. He adopted a behaviour of going in the cage and digging irritated. He is not playing not doing anything else like he used to. Also the last week one day he will eat hay, the other wont, no natter how many different brands i tried. And the main problem of all these that has made me no sleeping more than 3 hours at night is Frodo digging like a maniac his cage every morning from 4a.m. He doesnt want food, he is not eating the hay. Just digging until around 9-10a.m that he stops and sleeps.
Dont know why his behaviour changed so drastically.
Forgot to say that when he is out of cage he is humping when i even go close enough to the place i hide the treats...
Any help is welcome....🥴

His behavioural changes might be due to a recurrence of ear pain. So this needs to be assessed by your Vet. Rabbits are crepuscular and very active at dawn and dusk. They are active for some time overnight too. That’s why Rabbits should always have access to enough space to exercise 24/7, not shut in a cage overnight

Is Frodo neutered ? Constant and worsening hormonal behaviour in neutered Rabbits can be indicative of a problem with their adrenal glands. Adrenal gland hyperplasia

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK*

With his poor hay eating it’s likely he has some dental problems that might need treatment. He could be wanting more pellets because he cannot eat enough hay rather than that he won’t eat more hay.

So I would suggest you get your Vet to give Frodo another thorough check over to rule out a recurrence of his ear problems, check his teeth and you could also discuss his recent hormonal behaviour.

Yesterday and today he ate hay but suddenly now he stopped eating at all.
I guess he has some ear problem again. Thought after the surgery he would be fine. Ill have to get him to vet tomorrow.

Yesterday and today he ate hay but suddenly now he stopped eating at all.
I guess he has some ear problem again. Thought after the surgery he would be fine. Ill have to get him to vet tomorrow.
Unfortunately recurrence of disease can occur even after major surgery. I do hope that the Vet can help. I am glad you are getting Froddo seen promptly. The last thing he needs is secondary gut stasis.

His teeth could be another issue to consider. It isn’t possible to view 100% of the inside of a Rabbit’s mouth without sedating the Rabbit. Sometimes it’s only after sedation that problems can be found on the molar teeth at the very back of the mouth. Cheek retractors have to be used and this cannot be done when the Rabbit is awake.

More skull radiographs/CT scans would be needed to thoroughly assess his ear disease.

Frodo is at vet right now.
His ears are in good condition, but unfortunately he has a cracked back tooth. They don't know how this happened neither do i. The only hard thing he ate lately are some Dandelion roots. Could be this that caused it?
They believe this is the reason he is not eating properly hay lately and stopped eating yesterday.
Anyway, they will have him sedates to trim the cracked tooth and have a better look and if needed the nay extract the tooth.
Hope he will be fine after this! 🙏
Poor Frodo this year was not good for him! ☹️

There were 2 cracked teeth. One on the upper jaw one at the lower, like he chew something very hard and cracked the teeth. Still can't think anything else other than dandelion roots. Im very careful with him, no way he ate something else.
They trimmed them down so they will have time to grow again. Rest of the teeth were in good condition.
He stayed at vet overnight, we hope he will start to eat soon. Anyone have any experience with a cracked tooth?

No experience with cracked teeth but sending lots of vibes for your lovely Frodo. Dandelion roots are very hard, so I imagine it could be that, which caused the problem.

There were 2 cracked teeth. One on the upper jaw one at the lower, like he chew something very hard and cracked the teeth. Still can't think anything else other than dandelion roots. Im very careful with him, no way he ate something else.
They trimmed them down so they will have time to grow again. Rest of the teeth were in good condition.
He stayed at vet overnight, we hope he will start to eat soon. Anyone have any experience with a cracked tooth?
Has he had a recent full blood profile ? Cracked teeth can occur if the Rabbit has a calcium deficiency. Although calcium deficiency is not as common in Rabbits it can occur. Dandelion roots shouldn’t cause healthy teeth to break.Was there any evidence of infection around the broken teeth

Does he have any horizontal lines across his incisors ? This is indicative of hypocalcaemia.

Im back again. Frodo again started not to eat hay at first, a few days later he was reducing eating pellets. So we went to vet on Thursday. The vet didn't find anything wrong, except a very small spur that shouldn't cause any problem. But vet said some rabbits are very sensitive and may stop eating with just a small spur. So we had him sedated and trimmed the spur, we got him back home with a meloxicam for 3 days and prokinetic. Since then and today 4 days later he doesn't eat much pellets, a few fresh greens, but again with not much interest, little to no hay and he seems sleepy, like he has no interest in anything. Also he poop but not much and small.
What could be the problem? Should i ask for x rays or something else? Vet just didn't believe it was necessary.
Could this be a side effect of sedation? Other than that teeth were in good shape.

He has output, so your vet may suggest syringe feeds. Is he still getting meloxicam and proknetic?
Vet may suggest skull x ray to check his tooth roots and inside his ear where he cannot see on exam.
Sending vibes.

I agree with bunny momma re him probably requiring prokinetic medication.

Is he drinking enough ? Fluid therapy might also be necessary.

Further diagnostics might be useful, but there’s no guarantee about that.

Back