• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Froddo has a severe otitis - need advice

I don't know. That could be the only reason anymore. But what i can do about it? If he doesn't eat, i should force feed him otherwise he will die...😟
Its so strange his behaviour. I literally put a pellet in his mouth he crash it in pieces and rehects to even taste it.... Even when he had severe pain with otitis, he wasnt like that. He at some pellets..

You might find that if you leave him alone he will start to eat. I have seen this scenario before. Obviously it’s not possible to just leave him to it for more than about 8 -10 hours. And it will be important to observe his demeanour without him being aware of the fact that you are watching him. I wouldn’t lock him in a cage either. Rabbits need access to lots of space 24/7. They are active at night so need to be able to exercise then just as much as during the day.

The other thing I do is to leave a very small amount of a different type of pellets to the usual ones fed. Not a big bowlful, just a few. I have know some anorexic Rabbits who suddenly start to eat again when offered a new type of pellet feed.

He is in cage only at night or when there is none home. He never had any problem with it. Its a big cage, 1m+
About the food. I have 5 different brands right now, he barely touch any. Only some snacks and a few hay. But ill try what you said, or even buy one more? It may entice him to eat it if its a new flavour. I dont know.

Frodo has normal behaviour now. He even did some binkies. He seems fine. But.... He eat very few hay, and some pellets, not the normal quantity. Also his appetite for snacks is almost back to normal.
Im thinking if he may became very picky, because i offer him a big variety of pellets and snacks. Maybe i should stick to one? Don't know...
Also any idea why sometimes he is doing like a piggy? 😆 Especially when i go near the snack area 😂

If you are feeding him lots of ‘snacks’ then he won’t eat enough hay or his pellet ration. He will be full from his ‘snacks’.

I would try to limit his ‘snacks’, which really are not necessary, and make sure that he always has a good selection of hays always available.

Just feed him a his normal portion of pellets.

Weigh him twice a week. This will enable you to accurately monitor his weight. If he is maintaining a healthy weight when you are NOT filling him up on ‘snacks’ then he must be eating enough hay and his pellet ration. If he is losing weight then you need to consult the Vet again.

I refer back to the need for all Rabbits to have access to very large accommodation 24/7 and not to be restricted to being locked in a cage at night or when unsupervised. How we house our Rabbits has a direct impact on their physical health.

It might help to understand a bit more about Rabbit behaviour and psychology and how we, as their care givers, can do as much as possible to meet their welfare needs in these respects. I suggest you take a look at these links as they provide useful insight into how we can provide a home for Rabbits that caters for not only their physical needs but their psychological ones too 😀

And when we get things wrong

Keeping our Rabbits physically well requires a holistic approach, taking into account both their physical and their psychological needs. We can never provide them with the environment they initially evolved to inhabit before they were domesticated. But as the domesticated Rabbit still retains some wild rabbit behaviours and responses to their environments we need to learn as much as possible to try to keep our Rabbits in a way that meets their true needs 😀 For us it’s a never ending learning curve. After 26 years of caring for Rabbits I am still learning.

Sending positive vibes he continues to eat. IM gave you excellent advice. I limit snacks with my two older bunnies and my two younger ones rarely get a snack.

Back