• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frasier - Ear infection or Epilepsy - Confliting Vets so confused!! U/D 3 Nov 17:40pm

Frasier is doing well today. Still quiet. He ran away when I had to do his meds which I think is a good sign! He did accept the meds once I caught him like a good boy. He is still showing interest in his surroundings and food. Roll on tomorrow and hopefully a result from the culture.

Glad he's having a good day. :) You've mentioned him being 'quiet' a few times - is he normally quite a lively bunny? :wave:

Frasier is an older bun now so he does love to snooze a lot. When I go to the kitchen or the bathroom he does follow but when I'm sat here he is snoozing in his house. If I call his name he comes for a treat. He just seems a bit more subdued than what he normall is. I normally find him pawing at my legs for a treat.

Frasier is doing good today. He has left two bits of excess soft poop but also plenty of nice big hard hay poops. I think the soft poop is my fault as he was begging for more food and I felt guilty as he is ill so let him have an extra piece of cabbage.:oops: No news from the vets about the culture results yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Frasier is doing good today. He has left two bits of excess soft poop but also plenty of nice big hard hay poops. I think the soft poop is my fault as he was begging for more food and I felt guilty as he is ill so let him have an extra piece of cabbage.:oops: No news from the vets about the culture results yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Hope you get the c+s news today. Do let us know won't you! :wave: Good luck x

p.s. don't worry, I gave Poppy soft poops yesterday by over feeding Liz's bunny biscuits (they have pellets in them and my buns aren't used to pellets...I'm a sucker for a begging bun! :roll::oops:)

Frasier is good today. Apart from being just a little bit quieter he is pretty much normal. Eating pooing etc fine. Its really scarey as if I hadn't of seen his fit and taken him to the vet where he had the ear exam and found the infection, I wouldn't know he was ill really. My vet said we got it really early and she's obviously right - Its scarey to see how much they hide it until it gets really bad.:shock:

No news from the vet again today. If I don't hear by lunchtime tomorrow then I might just phone her up and chase for it. Do you know how long these culture tests take normally? I need to get more meds as well soon as both baytril and metacam running low.

Frasier is good today. Apart from being just a little bit quieter he is pretty much normal. Eating pooing etc fine. Its really scarey as if I hadn't of seen his fit and taken him to the vet where he had the ear exam and found the infection, I wouldn't know he was ill really. My vet said we got it really early and she's obviously right - Its scarey to see how much they hide it until it gets really bad.:shock:

No news from the vet again today. If I don't hear by lunchtime tomorrow then I might just phone her up and chase for it. Do you know how long these culture tests take normally? I need to get more meds as well soon as both baytril and metacam running low.

A couple of days for c+s at the most I should think.

They are experts at hiding pain, don't feel bad. When my original old vet who is often away in SA saw Nino's Xray pics a few months back for the first time (my new regular vet has been dealing with it) he couldn't believe how bad his arthritis was and how mobile and normal his gait is - they hide SO much pain.

I hope you hear back tomorrow - if not, then yes chase them why not! I do :D Good luck and glad to hear he is feeling perky enough. :)

Okay I chased my vet this morning and she chased up the results and called me back this afternoon. Apparently they have found no pasturella or common bacteria but are doing further tests to see if anything else "grows". My vet then admitted that it was possible that what she had said was puss may have been watery wax!!!!! She couldn't say why he had a fit but that this may be due to old age or something that would develop later. I have Frasier booked in for a further ear exam on Friday with another of the vets for a second opinion just in case (my vet recommended this too). I'm so happy that it might just be wax but still feel stupid that I've been crying over it! :oops:

Okay I chased my vet this morning and she chased up the results and called me back this afternoon. Apparently they have found no pasturella or common bacteria but are doing further tests to see if anything else "grows". My vet then admitted that it was possible that what she had said was puss may have been watery wax!!!!! She couldn't say why he had a fit but that this may be due to old age or something that would develop later. I have Frasier booked in for a further ear exam on Friday with another of the vets for a second opinion just in case (my vet recommended this too). I'm so happy that it might just be wax but still feel stupid that I've been crying over it! :oops:

Oh dear, don't feel bad. It's okay to get upset over those that we love.

How odd re. the cultures? Maybe a deeper ear swab is needed if ear infection-type symptoms are persisting? In which case bun might need light sedation or a GA in order to obtain a deeper sample.

Will keep everything crossed it was wax related.

Fitting suggests something neurological.... I can't remember i'm so sorry, does he have a history of EC or been treated for it? Obviously EC and neuro stuff isn't only reason for bun to fit.
Could your vet make an exotics referral if there are questions still left unanswered?

I took Frasier for a second opinion with a completely different vet practice today. She gave him a thorough check and said he is in good health for his age - no ear infection or inflamation present. She believes that Frasier had an epileptic fit. But as he has only had one that I've seen so far (touch wood), and is healthy otherwise (pooing, eating, drinking, hopping around normally) that he needs no treatment. I have to keep diary of his fits and if they become regular or last longer and any other symptoms arise then to bring him back for treatment.

Its a relief to have finally hopefully gotten to the bottom of it. I felt bad dragging poor Frasey to the vets again when he seems okay but I had to get the second opinion in case something had been missed. I feel more secure about leaving it be now and keeping fingers and pawsies crossed that it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm so confused. This afternoon I got a call from my original vet saying that the prolonged growth culture tests have now come up with an anaerobic bacteria which can live without oxygen. So even though the outer part of his ear is now clear and shows no sign of infection this bacteria could still be growing deeper inside his ear. She advised he have at least two weeks of antibiotics to kill the remainder of this bacteria. I agreed and went round to collect it. I was suprised as she has prescribed Baytril again. I'm sure someone on here told me baytril isn't the best for ear infections. Anyway I tried to question it but the vet had already left. I also asked the receptionist to check the records to see if the bacteria was named so I could look it up but it wasn't. I may try and phone tomorrow. I felt really bad asking so many questions - they are nice but they really don't like you asking or questioning medicine etc.

Top it off they tried to over-charge me again which I spotted and questioned and got a refund this time - £30.24 for baytril when it was supposed to be £11!! So felt embarrassed that I was being awkward questioning everything.

I'm just so confused - does my Fraisy have an ear infection or epilepsy????!!! :(:(

Personally I think an ear infection is MUCH more likely than Epilepsy

Also, a diagnosis of Epilepsy cannot possibly be made on the basis of the reporting of one seizure.

My Vet would be likely to prescribe Baytril and Metronidazole or Depocillin and Metronidazole to try to get ontop of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

What do you think I should do, Jane?

First of all I think continuity of care is essential. So personally I'd stick with the Vet who has done the diagnostics.

I would ask him/her if he/she thinks giving Metronidazole ASWELL as Baytril may be of benefit.

Back