• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frasier - Ear infection or Epilepsy - Confliting Vets so confused!! U/D 3 Nov 17:40pm

Somebody has made a mistake. My 32ml bottles cost £30 from the vet and is only half that if bought online. £31 for a 3ml bottle!!!! :shock::shock: are you sure? Someone has tapped the wrong key on the keyboard me thinks (receptionist not you!) ... I would be questioning that immediately!

The surgery is now closed. Checked my receipt - yup. Went through my vet records - I always get printed itemised bills to file so that if anything happens to me, anyone can find out my rabbits health history. Anyway in the past they have given me a 10ml bottle of Metacam for £28. So there definately has been a mistake. But that even sounds really expensive if you're getting 30ml for £30

Sorry Romy, I wasn't clear.

Daisy's infection was lower ear and wasnt visible on examination. It was so severe that it became incurable. The meds "held" the infection for two years and its been fantastic. Bristol vet hospital prescribed the meds.

Frasier's ear infection is in a more treatable area, so the antibiotics and metacam should hopefully get rid of it.

Sorry if I worried you.

Think they made a mistake with the price of metacam.

I'm sorry to hear about Frasier's ear infection- it's good that you are having culture and sensitivity so that you can tackle the infection with the right choice of antibiotic. The results should only take a couple of days.

I agree that anti-inflammatories are advisable for ear infections- two things to bear in mind is that the 3ml medicine is the cat strength which is 1/3rd the strenght of dog metacam, and the shelf life once opened is apparently only 2 weeks, unlike the larger sizes for some reason xx

Hi :wave:
This sounds so similar to the problem I had when my Mimi had an ear infection. My vet was extremely reluctant to give her Metacam (understandable as he was just being cautiois which im pleased about) i had to physically go in and demand it. The difference it made to her was palpable. Her infection was accompanied with a head tilt which in itself is painful as it causes great strain on the neck muscles.
He too gave me a small amount and I then had to go in and discuss it further. In the end we came to an agreement that she would have it for 3 days, then have a break for 3 days, then get back on it. So maybe you could come to a similar compromise here?
Sending loads of vibes, ear infections are horrible :( But they can get better, my Mimis proof of it :love:

Thanks for the vibes.

I'm sorry to hear about Frasier's ear infection- it's good that you are having culture and sensitivity so that you can tackle the infection with the right choice of antibiotic. The results should only take a couple of days.

I agree that anti-inflammatories are advisable for ear infections- two things to bear in mind is that the 3ml medicine is the cat strength which is 1/3rd the strenght of dog metacam, and the shelf life once opened is apparently only 2 weeks, unlike the larger sizes for some reason xx

Yes I noticed that last night too, about the how long it lasts. But I can't imagine it lasting 2 weeks anyway so won't go off. I just can't wait to hear the results from the culture so we know what we are dealing with and get him on the right meds.

Frasier has been quieter today. He is eating, drinking and pooing (lovely big ones) fine which is good. He is snoozing right now and comes to me for a treat. He has not had another seizure/fit thank heavens and fingers paws crossed he never will again. So glad I saw it and was able to keep him treatment this early. Here is Fraisy tonight...please spare any vibes you can.....

P1010049_edited-1.jpg

Oh poor Frasier :( I'm sorry I've only just caught up with his thread Romy.

Sending your little man lots & lots of vibes to feel better soon xxxx

Thanks for the vibes everyone x

Frasier is quiet again today but he is eating and drinking and pooing fine which is good. He is funny though, he takes his Baytril syringe without complaint - even licks his lips afterwards! But he hates hte metacam, he clams up his mouth and puts his paws up over his mouth. I have to really insist to get it in. He forgives me once he gets his treat tho. Its funny as I always thought that Baytril was the one rabbits didn't like the taste of and metacam was the sweeter tasting...

Thanks for the vibes everyone x

Frasier is quiet again today but he is eating and drinking and pooing fine which is good. He is funny though, he takes his Baytril syringe without complaint - even licks his lips afterwards! But he hates hte metacam, he clams up his mouth and puts his paws up over his mouth. I have to really insist to get it in. He forgives me once he gets his treat tho. Its funny as I always thought that Baytril was the one rabbits didn't like the taste of and metacam was the sweeter tasting...

I'd heard that too about baytril and metacam. :? Continuing to send vibes that his medicines (liked and disliked) do their jobs.

It might the syringe he doesnt like -maybe his head hurts. Daisy will eat all her meds drizzled on her pellets.

TJ will also lick metacam off a large spoon.

It might the syringe he doesnt like -maybe his head hurts. Daisy will eat all her meds drizzled on her pellets.

TJ will also lick metacam off a large spoon.

Maybe. He doesn't complain with the Baytril though.. The syringe is just a normal small one (same size as the one for the Baytril) that came in the box - vet directed.

He's a funny bun- most hate baytril- it's so bitter.

I'll let you into a secret: Tippex takes her metacam dripped onto a little piece of bread- she loves it! Don't tell my vet though, all my bunnies are supposed to be on a diet xx

Maybe. He doesn't complain with the Baytril though.. The syringe is just a normal small one (same size as the one for the Baytril) that came in the box - vet directed.

Fantastic you have no trouble with getting him to take the Baytril. Im just grateful mine will eat their meds off food as I am useless with a syringe.

Back