• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food question

I just ordered the Alan and Page too. I hope mine like it. They love the Excel, but too much does result in lots of uneaten caecotrophs, plus it is expensive, and with the colder weather coming I will feed them more pellets.

I'll report on how they like it when it arives.

My previous rabbit Pepe was fed on Supreme Science Selective following an operation to remove an abscess from his jaw. He'd been a fussy eater all his life and I'd basically let him get away with it :? He was never a big hay fan so his back teeth didn't get the wear they should of had.
I was told to put him on Burgess Excel and to moisten it for a few days while his mouth healed a bit. No way would he eat it moist or dry! It was then that I looked around for an alternative, and found Supreme Science Selective. Boy oh boy did he relish that food! I've never seen any rabbit devour a plain looking diet like he did those pellets. I wish I'd discovered it much much sooner.

My current buns were fed on a mixture of Burgess Excel Junior and Dwarf, Rabbit Royale and Jasper Rabbit. I was told by the breeder to feed just a small handful in the morning and to give them only hay at night.
I've now modified their diet slightly feeding a smallish handful of mainly Excel junior with a teaspoon of Rabbit Royale (they like the dried dandilions in it) early in the morning, followed by the introduction of fresh veges and then hay only in the evening. They seem to be doing ok on this diet and hopefully I shall avoid any abscesses and teeth problems.

AmberUK said:
I wondered about the Burgess lite and dwarf. Why do they need dwarf surely you just feed less?

I've just been looking at the Burgess website http://www.burgesssupafeeds.co.uk/Pages/rabbit.html and to be honest I have no idea why a dwarf bun would need to be on the Junior and Dwarf range. About the only thing I could think of is that the pellets in the Junior range are infact smaller than those of the original excel. I can understand young buns and pregnant and lactating does being on it, as they need the extra protein. The Excel Lite has the nutritritional values altered too. You can see the nutritional analysis for each product if you click on the products on the left hand side of the page.
Hope this helps :)

I did check the values for them out but they all seemed to have different values. Oh well I am trying SS out anyhow.

I can see the logic is a junior version containing more protein as the bun is growing but I've not idea why a dwarf rabbit would need those levels. The Lite version is about the right fibre/protein content were as the normal version only has 14% fibre (the lowest of the lot!).

Tam

Tamsin said:
The Lite version is about the right fibre/protein content were as the normal version only has 14% fibre (the lowest of the lot!).

My buns are on standard Excel. None of them are porkers, but it sounds like it might be worth switching them to the Lite anyway. They love their Burgess and wolf it down, and it's easy to get hold of plus I doubt there's enough difference between the two that a switch of food would upset their tums. Hmm.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ,have ordered Allen and Page for my 2 then had to put Brody on a restriced pellet diet due to her sticky bum problem. now you mathematicians.... I've had to order a 20kg sack... the 2 buns are only supposed to eat 50g a day.... surely its going to be well past its ell by date before i use it all........... oops.

:oops:

Jill

Back