• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike case at work today

Daphne got flystrike a few years ago. :oops: Luckily I caught it early so it wasn't bad and she was fine but I was shocked how quickly the maggots appeared. I checked her before work and she was fine, if a little damp (I figured she'd dry in the warm sunshine, I didn't really understand flystrike well back then, I just knew I had to check her butt). I got back from work six hours later and there were loads of the little *******. :shock: I actually didn't really know what to do so I just dunked her butt in a bucket of water and combed a bunch off with a flea comb. I got shouted at by the vet when I got there as getting her fur wet is apparently not a good idea. :oops: Lesson learnt - being more careful these days!

Daphne got flystrike a few years ago. :oops: Luckily I caught it early so it wasn't bad and she was fine but I was shocked how quickly the maggots appeared. I checked her before work and she was fine, if a little damp (I figured she'd dry in the warm sunshine, I didn't really understand flystrike well back then, I just knew I had to check her butt). I got back from work six hours later and there were loads of the little *******. :shock: I actually didn't really know what to do so I just dunked her butt in a bucket of water and combed a bunch off with a flea comb. I got shouted at by the vet when I got there as getting her fur wet is apparently not a good idea. :oops: Lesson learnt - being more careful these days!

It is so difficult to keep a check on bunnies when you have to work all day. Like you say it only take a few hours for things to develop.:(

Wetting the fur is a really bad idea as the vet will need to shave the area straight away to see the damage and it is really difficult to shave wet fur off

Can anyone tell me how the Xenex spot on works?
I remember feeling very mislead by rearguard and how it only protects where you have applied it and doesnt provide protection for the whole rabbit?

Can anyone tell me how the Xenex spot on works?
I remember feeling very mislead by rearguard and how it only protects where you have applied it and doesnt provide protection for the whole rabbit?

It's a spot on, synthetic, insect repellant, acaricide, and insecticide. Applied to the rabbit, preferably between shoulder blades and at the base of tail, fortnightly (or weekly for very vulnerable animals). The dose is dependant on the weight of the animal, so you will need accurate, current weight, to prevent overdose.

It's a spot on, synthetic, insect repellant, acaricide, and insecticide. Applied to the rabbit, preferably between shoulder blades and at the base of tail, fortnightly (or weekly for very vulnerable animals). The dose is dependant on the weight of the animal, so you will need accurate, current weight, to prevent overdose.

so if it just spots on, how does it repel? the smell or does it go in to the bun's skin etc? i read the info leaflet on it but it doesnt say its exact action? I might just give my vet a call and ask :oops:

so if it just spots on, how does it repel? the smell or does it go in to the bun's skin etc? i read the info leaflet on it but it doesnt say its exact action? I might just give my vet a call and ask :oops:

Yes it's absorbed through the skin, in the same way that any spot on treatment does that you might give to a dog or cat. I think Xenex works by messing up the nervous system of insects, and some other spot on treatments are, chitin inhibitors, that prevent the exoskeleton developing.

Back