• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin condition- Sebaceous Adenitis

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hello all,

I used to post regularly on here but haven’t posted for many years. Maybe someone will remember me!

My 3 year old bunny, Sally, is undergoing tests for a chronic skin problem and we are waiting to exclude some of the less obvious parasitic conditions first, before diagnosing Sebaceous Adenitis. I think it’s quite likely she will get this diagnosis, following further swabs taken today. Our job will be to get to the root of the cause of it, as i understand it can occasionally be caused by a tumour in the thymus gland. It seems to be developing quite aggressively, which is a concern. She is currently well
In herself, though it can’t feel pleasant.

I wondered if anyone has any experiences of it and could share these, particularly around treatment and special care.

Sally’s story also goes to show the importance of having a rabbit savvy vet. A recent house move means we are now registered at the Royal D*ck Vet in Edinburgh for her routine veterinary care and she has seen vets who are extremely knowledgeable. Previous vets have either written off my worries or prescribed yet more mite treatments.

Thanks in advance,

Fiona

hA6CvgS.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,

I used to post regularly on here but haven’t posted for many years. Maybe someone will remember me!

My 3 year old bunny, Sally, is undergoing tests for a chronic skin problem and we are waiting to exclude some of the less obvious parasitic conditions first, before diagnosing Sebaceous Adenitis. I think it’s quite likely she will get this diagnosis, following further swabs taken today. Our job will be to get to the root of the cause of it, as i understand it can occasionally be caused by a tumour in the thymus gland. It seems to be developing quite aggressively, which is a concern. She is currently well
In herself, though it can’t feel pleasant.

I wondered if anyone has any experiences of it and could share these, particularly around treatment and special care.

Sally’s story also goes to show the importance of having a rabbit savvy vet. A recent house move means we are now registered at the Royal D*ck Vet in Edinburgh for her routine veterinary care and she has seen vets who are extremely knowledgeable. Previous vets have either written off my worries or prescribed yet more mite treatments.

Thanks in advance,

Fiona

hA6CvgS.jpg

Hello Fiona

I had a Bunny who developed Sebaceous Adenitis secondary to a Thymoma.

ZGOgQdN.jpg

As he was a relatively elderly Rabbit with other health problems I opted for palliative care for him rather than surgery/chemo. I hope that your Bunny is not diagnosed with a Thymoma, but at least you can be certain that you will receive expert Veterinary Care for her.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for her xx

I'm sorry to hear Sally is having issues were her skin. My Ralph had this (sebaceous adentis) but its going back a few decades. He was under FHB.I seem to recall her saying it was often secondary to other health issues but on Ralph his xrays didn't highlight anything. Prior to his diagnosis his digestive system was in a right mess. All I can really recall is that he was put on antibiotics, steroids, panacur & antibiotics. The only foods he could tolerate were herbs & hay so that was his sole diet. His skin did clear up a lot - I can't 100% recall if it resolved completely

I can empathise with a vet that just goes round in circles re: mites. My local vet (pre self) referral to FHB told me to shampoo my poor bunny daily :(

Lots of vibes for Sally. I hope you can get a diagnosis & treatment plan

Hello all, I really appreciate all of your replies. The vet did mention it can occur as an autoimmune response with unclear origins, so I’m keeping hopeful. I await the more detailed swabs and cytology results and will make an informed plan from there. Poor Sally

7kWY6EJ.jpg

Back