• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike case at work today

Sorry to be twp - but whats rear guard? :oops:

It's a product that you apply to the rabbit. It doesn't repel flies, but it stops the maggots developing.
Gemma,before you buy it for Mimi, check she isn't sore anywhere, as it can't be applied to broken skin.

It's a product that you apply to the rabbit. It doesn't repel flies, but it stops the maggots developing.
Gemma,before you buy it for Mimi, check she isn't sore anywhere, as it can't be applied to broken skin.

Shes definatly not sore anywhere yet, we've been doing our best to avoid that. So better get on it ASAP! xxxxxxxxx

I have some beapher stuff but I've never used it because they don't sit still long enough. :roll:

I've got the Beaphar stuff too. I have no idea whether it works well, but I used it last year.
Does anyone know how long it lasts in the bottle when opened? I've had mine opensince about this time last year and I don't know whether it will have gone off or anything :? There's an expiry date but I assume that's for a sealed bottle...

Oooh, just another question (sorry to high jack the thread :oops::lol:) if Im using sudocrem around her bum region which i will be anyway, will that help avoid flystrike aswell??

Oooh, just another question (sorry to high jack the thread :oops::lol:) if Im using sudocrem around her bum region which i will be anyway, will that help avoid flystrike aswell??

No. Also, if you have to wash Mimi at all, you will be washing the Rearguard off.

Hmmm rock....hard place! Ok well I have to wash my girl so I think i'll leave the rear guard out and just take steps to keep the flys at bay as much as poss. Thanks for the advise xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just ordered a packet too. And I have the johnsons fly strike prevention spray. I just checked her, I think I might be stupid but I don't know if I'm looking in the right place :shock:

I didn't know where to look or what to check for! :oops:

It is NEVER impossible to prevent DEATH from flystrike. Vulnerable rabbits will get struck, but NO rabbit should die from it. It's inexcusable.

I guess it depends on how you look at it :? I have lost 2 animals to flystrike in the past, both times they have been at the end stages of terminal disease and both times it has been caught extremely quickly and vet treatment given within 10 minutes of discovery. However both times our vet has decided the best course of action was pts as the animals were so ill and frail anyway and their chances of it happening again was too great as was the stress of recovery :? I did try to argue for treatment both times but at the end of the day you have to go on your vets advice :(

So did flystrike ultimately actually kill them or was it just another symptom of an illness that was killing them?

My vet advised that as long as I have healthy buns with dry and clean bum areas they should be ok. I still check every couple of days (they really don't like being picked up) and have also bought some rear guard but the vet did say that it wasn't too good for them to ingest it. Seeing as mine are often washing and grooming themselves in that area I have decided to just keep an eye on them for this year. I also 'muck out' their hutch at least once a day, sometimes twice a day.

Does anyone know whether there are side effects of rear guard?

Also please remember to check your bunnies EVERYWHERE!

Last year we had a bunny who had flystrike just under his eye as he had an untreated eye abscess that was smelly and weepy and, therefore, attracted the flies :cry:

My point was, that from whichever species of blowfly lays it's eggs (which are very visible) to the development of the first larval stage takes a matter of hours. For those young maggots to then go unnoticed, through three more stages, while they feed off the animal, destroying tissue and releasing toxins, sending the rabbit into shock, to a point where PTS is the only option, is not acceptable, no matter what the underlying cause was.

Last year we had a bunny who had flystrike just under his eye as he had an untreated eye abscess that was smelly and weepy and, therefore, attracted the flies :cry:

We have had this worry too and of course you can't apply rearguard to open wounds :(

Another place to check is in the folds of dewlaps especially if they are large. Also bunnies with dental problems who may have wet chins.

Just want to point out that this wasn't one of our own bunnies!

I'm paranoid about fly strike, I've been cleaning their litter area bit twice a day and checking them 3 times a day :oops: They don't seem to mind though as I make sure I give them something yummy when I put them down, doesn't stop me worrying about them any less though :(

I'm paranoid about flystrike too and am continually picking up my buns and looking at their bottoms - one good thing coming from my paranoia is that the rabbits have definitely got used to being handled!!

I've just recently treated both mine with Beaphar Flyguard, my only concern was that as soon as I'd treated them, they both spent a long grooming and licking the areas that had been sprayed. Will ingestion of the stuff harm them and will it lessen the flyguard's effect as they are licking it off. It didn't say any where on the packet that I should have prevented them grooming after application so I put them straight back into their run. Did I do wrong?

Back