• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike case at work today

If hes clean and dry, and not prone to the squits, or urinary incontinence, theres no need to trim him. My personal opinion of flystrike death, is that it's the ONLY condition we can 100% prevent, and that prevention costs nothing except the time it takes to check their bums several times a day.

He's all of those things (clean, dry, no poo or weewee) but VERY wriggly initially, after a while he calms down enough for me to give him a good check over but it takes about 15 minutes before we can get to that stage! so it's hard to check him. I'll keep trying, hopefully he'll get used to it.

Last edited:
I have found more problems with flies and bunnies with urine problems. They seem more attracted to urine incontinent bunnies than bunnies with poo problems :?

Last year I had a bunny smoothered in eggs for 4 days in a row who was completely clean. I have no idea what attracted them to her. They were at the base of her tail and all the way up her back, nothing underneath, very strange.

I think once flies have laid eggs they leave a scent so that other ones go to the same place.
I found eggs on my clean healthy bun low down on her back, iwonderd if these would have hatched because i thought they needed damp conditions . sometimes i think blowflies get so laden with eggs they will just lay on anything, if they cant find the right conditions.
It is truely frightening

When we had Lucky, his fur was all matted and knotty. The vet shaved a lot off his underneath when he went for his op and i got a dog groomer around to help advise and trim his other problem areas. She recommended a brush and showed me how to brush him properly but some of his larger knots near his bum are there. I was thinking it probably needs shaving off - i've tried with the scissors but i cant do it - i know it's silly but i just cant bear to do it - and i'm terrified of nipping him by mistake (its a thick knot).

He is an indoor bun but when i'm at work or the house is empty, he uses the outhouses and there might be flies in there. I've noticed lots of spiders in there since Lucky uses it.

Anyway - he is litter trained and clean and his areas and trays are cleaned and washed down daily.

Do you think it's better for him to be shaved , or shall i leave him be and just keep checking?

The eggs are like tiny grains of rice, slightly brown in colour. I find them very difficult to see in agouti bunnies. Once they are maggots you can't miss them :( As well as checking underneath always push the tail down to check very base of spine

Thanks hun, I get a bit concerned about Carlo, his poops are fine, but I think he doesn't lift his tail because he often gets urine around his bottom, I have been cleaning him off but I am thinking of getting him rear guarded, Bobby is as clean as a whistle. I think Carl is just a scruffy :? little boy

Gonna have to rear guard both of mine I think, as the garden backs straight onto fields which belong to a riding school - so theres lots of horses & manure...which the flies love:(

Haha!! I dont think Lucky would forgive me if i made him nekkid either! I would still check him but i thought it might make it harder to the pesky flies.

It would be a huuuge trauma for him to be shaved tbh.

Thats true... just visioned Carlo with a bald botty he would kill me :oops:

Yeah, it's a no win situation. if you slipped with the clippers, and Carlo became Carol, his wife would probably be less than impressed, so unless theres a good reason for clipping, it's best to leave fluffy butts au naturel.

If hes clean and dry, and not prone to the squits, or urinary incontinence, theres no need to trim him. My personal opinion of flystrike death, is that it's the ONLY condition we can 100% prevent, and that prevention costs nothing except the time it takes to check their bums several times a day.

I don't agree with this. If a rabbit has problems that makes it high risk for flystrike, then now matter how vigilant we are if you can't fix the underlying problems then it can be an impossible task to prevent it :?

Whats this rear-guard guys? Where can I get it from, would my vets have it? And is it completely safe to use on a poorly bun?

I don't agree with this. If a rabbit has problems that makes it high risk for flystrike, then now matter how vigilant we are if you can't fix the underlying problems then it can be an impossible task to prevent it :?

How good is this rear guard that the vet was trying to sell me, she DID say I am doing well at keeping my pair clean atm, but I DO get worried I clean the litters daily and check bums twice a day.. carlo sits in pee pee and poops everywhere, including the four litter trays he has:roll:

It is NEVER impossible to prevent DEATH from flystrike. Vulnerable rabbits will get struck, but NO rabbit should die from it. It's inexcusable.

How good is this rear guard that the vet was trying to sell me, she DID say I am doing well at keeping my pair clean atm, but I DO get worried I clean the litters daily and check bums twice a day.. carlo sits in pee pee and poops everywhere, including the four litter trays he has:roll:

Thanks Shelly that answered my question! I'll ask my vet for some tommorrow (or a french equivalent anyway :roll:)
Im paranoid about Mimi at the moment because she does sometimes roll in her wee and gets covered in it :( Obviously i clean her up but think its best to be on the safe side :wave:)

thanks all for the advice, as a newbie i had no idea about this... will start checking him every day from now on... ive just ordered some of the citrenella stuff for the htch that someone posted, so thanks for that too

Thanks Shelly that answered my question! I'll ask my vet for some tommorrow (or a french equivalent anyway :roll:)
Im paranoid about Mimi at the moment because she does sometimes roll in her wee and gets covered in it :( Obviously i clean her up but think its best to be on the safe side :wave:)

Yeah i think I will get some too, I must admit I just thought she was trying to sell me a product at first as she said my two were clean.. but you are right best to be safe:)

I have some beapher stuff but I've never used it because they don't sit still long enough. :roll:

Back