• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike - update page 7 with picture (not yucky)

That's great news, I would also advise to keep checking him regularly to make sure there are no more "hidden" that may hatch.

You did well to spot it so early and get as much off as you could. It may also be worth investig in a "nit" comb for your first aid kit as it would also help get any eggs out.

Poor little guy has been through so much, he sounds so sweet and such a fighter :love:

Before you have him put down

O my goodness! Thinking of having the poor bunny put down made me feel sick!:(:cry::(:cry:!
Before you have him put down please read this, its from MedicAnimal.com.

The symptoms, treatment and prevention of fly strike in rabbits

Fly strike (Myiasis) is predominantly caused by the green bottle fly (Lucilia sericata) and related fly species which lay eggs on living rabbits. The green bottle flies are attracted to damp fur, urine, faeces or the odour of rabbit scent glands.

Fly strike (Myiasis) is predominantly caused by the green bottle fly (Lucilia sericata) and related fly species which lay eggs on living rabbits. The green bottle flies are attracted to damp fur, urine, faeces or the odour of rabbit scent glands. They lay their eggs on or around the rabbit's rear end where they hatch within hours into maggots that eat into the rabbit's flesh, eating it alive and releasing toxins in the process. Fly strike in domestic rabbits is a common problem throughout the summer months.

Symptoms

Flies will strike any healthy animal, but generally those that have a wet and dirty groin area are most at risk. Any rabbit which is unable to clean itself properly may become infected, typically this includes obese rabbits, females with large dewlaps, or skin folds around their abdomen, rabbits with urinary problems, elderly or arthritic rabbits, long-coated breeds, and rabbits with teeth problems who are unable to groom themselves. Wounds also provide a perfect place for the fly to lay its eggs, as the odour and moisture from the flesh attracts them.

Treatment

If you find maggots on or around your rabbit’s anus immediate veterinary attention is required and the situation should be treated as an emergency. If possible, ring ahead, so that the vet can be prepared for your arrival and treat your rabbit immediately as your rabbit will probably be in pain and shock and will require careful nursing if it is to survive.

If you can not get to a vet immediately, then pick off as many of the external maggots as you can, using a pair of tweezers. The maggots which have burrowed into the flesh can be encouraged to the surface of the skin, by heat such as a warm, damp towel. Ideally you should avoid wetting the rabbit’s coat, as damp fur will clog the clippers that vets use to shave the infected areas, however, dipping your rabbits rear into water can help to get rid of some maggots providing the area is dried afterwards.

The preferred method of treatment for fly strike is to remove the maggots using tweezers and shave off any damp or dirty fur. This should be carried out by your veterinarian as the rabbits skin is very thin and tears easily. Your vet will not only have skilled and experienced staff on hand but they will also be able to administer sedation or an anaesthetic to make the process easier, which in turn will ensure that your rabbit does not experience discomfort. Rabbits that have fly strike will also often need antibiotics to prevent infection. Anti-inflammatory and pain killing drugs are sometimes also administered.

Prevention

Fly strike is a distressing and potentially fatal condition which can be prevented by a few simple measures. Unfortunately we cannot eliminate flies from the rabbit’s environment and therefore we should keep a watch full eye over the rabbit, especially during the summer months.
•Remove all soiled bedding daily
•Ensure that your rabbit is not being overfed, as this can result in diarrhoea, leading to a dirty groin
•Feed greens and fruit in moderation, as some rabbits can not tolerate an over-abundance of green food, again leading to diarrhoea and a dirty anus . For the same reason, take care when putting your rabbit out on the lawn in the summer, not to allow too much access to fresh grass
•Check your rabbit twice daily to ensure that it is clean and dry. This includes house rabbits, who can also be at risk
•Disinfect hutches every week.
•Keep the rabbit dry and use a cleanser to remove faeces
•Keep the hair around the anus very short by trimming with scissors or clippers.

Ridding the environment of flies, by means of chemical insecticides may damage the environment, animals, and people along with the flies. Fly traps catch many flies but not all. Repellents may work temporarily, but one must remember to use them repeatedly. Screens on doors and windows reduce the number of flies that get into the house, but some slip through.

Nylon netting can be used to cover outdoor hutches and runs, to prevent flies entering your rabbit’s environment. It can also be used to create inner fly doors in sheds. But do take care not to trap any flies inside when hanging it.

A number of plants can be used to repel insects and flies. Some may be planted in pots to sit on top of outdoor hutches or near runs, whilst others may be dried and hung in the home, or the rabbit shed. Just make sure that all these plants are out of reach of your rabbit

I'M SOOO GLAD HE IS GETTING BETTER!!!!!!:D:):D:):D

Last edited:
I'm really pleased too that it's good news! :thumb:

Thanks so much for that info, Lovelybun. Mine live outside so I will keep particular watch. I've seen it in sheep but use a pour on insecticide as a preventative measure. I'll have to research Rearguard - don't know that it will be available in France.

oh my gosh, read this whole thread with my heart in my mouth :shock:

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, apart from

Nethies are made of strong stuff ;)

Praying for a recovery with your tlc and bunny snuggles from Douglas

OMG that vet should be struck off! :censored: I'm so so glad your bun is home safe again, flystrike is so awful :( sending tons of recovery vibes and snuggles for him xxx

Glad to hear that your bunny is back at home with you, what a scary episode for you you, I would have been at my wits end waiting for the vets to open. Having read all your posts, I now realise how quickly it can occur so will be keeping a very close eye on my does. All the best to you and your bunnies.

I would suggest bringing both bunnies inside. If he needs time away from his friend to heal then they should at least be able to see each other as this will help with re-bonding them later, it will also make them both feel a lot more comfortable. Glad he seems ok. x

That is great news that he is still with you and fighting on. I will check back tomorrow to see how the wee fella is doing.

I would suggest bringing both bunnies inside. If he needs time away from his friend to heal then they should at least be able to see each other as this will help with re-bonding them later, it will also make them both feel a lot more comfortable. Glad he seems ok. x

Yip, I am sure she is bringing both indoors :)

They are both indoors since Desmond returned from the vets. I couldn't keep them apart any longer as Douglas was looking very sad. As soon as they were in their crate, even though they have loads of room, they huddled up to each other straight away and Desmond requested to be groomed.
His incontinence seems to be worse at the moment. I hope that's because he is feeling sorry for himself and it improves again soon.

I have the rearguard to put on this morning before work.

Will take some pics later to show you all his cute face!

Aw bless him, hope he makes a full recovery quickly.

If there is any damaged skin, don't rearguard that area (it should say on instructions)

I would put in a formal complaint about that emergency vet refusing to see him. being eaten alive by maggots is an emergency!! :evil::evil::evil: Just leaving him overnight made the whole thing much worse then when you caught it early!

Glad to hear he's recovering!!

Fly strike is a nightmare of mine, a beautiful rabbit was returned to us because it was sick, it had an extremely messing bum but was fine in itself. I came in the morning to clean it out since I wasn't there the previous night and she brought it in just as we were closing and big fat maggots fell out of the holes in it's skin, I felt sick and more sick that I bet she knew it had flystrike as it was extremely bad. The rabbit just walked and they fell out. Had to be pts.

Back