• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleur not herself :(

Thanks haha hopefully that's what happens :)

I called the vets... They can't even see me today... And William isn't there :(

She said cc every 6 hours and to increase cisapride to 3x per day.. And call back tomorrow if she's not passed anything over night... That doesn't seem quite right to me..

Does every 6 hours seem about right to you, for cc?

The veterinary nurse also said it needs to be really runny in consistency... Fleur just spits it out if it's like that, I make it a little thicker more of a wet tomato paste kinda texture - am I doing this wrong? [emoji32]xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I think you should make the food of the taste and consistency that Fleur will eat, otherwise there's no point really. Can you add baby food or something - I am sure you've tried all these tricks of the trade already :)

Every six hours doesn't sound often enough to me, but this was my rabbit recently I am thinking of. Because of the severity of the condition I had to feed every two hours.

How much do you think you get into her at each sitting? She's a big bun, isn't she?

I think you should make the food of the taste and consistency that Fleur will eat, otherwise there's no point really. Can you add baby food or something - I am sure you've tried all these tricks of the trade already :)

Every six hours doesn't sound often enough to me, but this was my rabbit recently I am thinking of. Because of the severity of the condition I had to feed every two hours.

How much do you think you get into her at each sitting? She's a big bun, isn't she?

She's 2.6kg is that a big bun? The other two are bigger :lol:

I fill the chunky syringe that comes with the cc with 5ml of dry powder, tip that out and mix that with water, syringe it back up - the total amount is just less than 15ml (halfway between 10ml and 15ml) I was giving this every 2 hours (altho so far this has only been two feeds of this) she's eaten all of it, except a small amount she gets on me when she grooms me afterwards - but thats just the stuff around her mouth a little so I don't think much is wasted honestly.

After she was spayed and wasn't producing anything I was also giving that every 2 hours - maybe I overloaded her then tho? :( she did eventually pass stuff on that occasion though.

Think i'm giving her too much? and should give that amount every 6 hours? or continue?

If she's not passing stuff this afternoon, i'm definitely going to call them back and insist they fit her in - dont think it's acceptable to suggest I only call tomorrow morning if she's not passed anything over night...

She's 2.6kg is that a big bun? The other two are bigger :lol:

I fill the chunky syringe that comes with the cc with 5ml of dry powder, tip that out and mix that with water, syringe it back up - the total amount is just less than 15ml (halfway between 10ml and 15ml) I was giving this every 2 hours (altho so far this has only been two feeds of this) she's eaten all of it, except a small amount she gets on me when she grooms me afterwards - but thats just the stuff around her mouth a little so I don't think much is wasted honestly.

After she was spayed and wasn't producing anything I was also giving that every 2 hours - maybe I overloaded her then tho? :( she did eventually pass stuff on that occasion though.

Think i'm giving her too much? and should give that amount every 6 hours? or continue?

If she's not passing stuff this afternoon, i'm definitely going to call them back and insist they fit her in - dont think it's acceptable to suggest I only call tomorrow morning if she's not passed anything over night...

Yes I agree she should be seen if things aren't going on well.

No that's not a big bun- I had an idea she was a bit bigger than that!

I think 12 - 15ml every couple of hours isn't excessive. You may find she is hungry so needs that amount espeically if it's watery. I do agree with the vet nurse that watery is good at this stage, but that might be difficult to manage.

You need to make sure she is getting adequate nutrition in order that all her organs keep functioning normally and that the gut has something to work on.

Yes I agree she should be seen if things aren't going on well.

No that's not a big bun- I had an idea she was a bit bigger than that!

I think 12 - 15ml every couple of hours isn't excessive. You may find she is hungry so needs that amount espeically if it's watery. I do agree with the vet nurse that watery is good at this stage, but that might be difficult to manage.

You need to make sure she is getting adequate nutrition in order that all her organs keep functioning normally and that the gut has something to work on.
The most annoying thing is she's eating a little hay and has eaten a few bits of veg.. It's not like she's not eating at all... I'll try make it a little more watery but it's very difficult to get her to take it like that :( xx

The most annoying thing is she's eating a little hay and has eaten a few bits of veg.. It's not like she's not eating at all... I'll try make it a little more watery but it's very difficult to get her to take it like that :( xx

Yeah, most important she eats rather than make it watery and she doesn't eat it.

Herbs? Wet veg? Readigrass?

Yeah, most important she eats rather than make it watery and she doesn't eat it.

Herbs? Wet veg? Readigrass?
She's eating wet kale and wet parsley nothing else appeals, she had a nibble of carrot which is her favourite normally and some spinach earlier but now she's not interested in them. She's very fussy anyway so this just makes things more difficult.

There are 6 perfect poops in her tray :D hoping this continues still going to give her more cisapride at 4 though xx

Great news that she's passed some more poops [emoji3]

Incidentally, I agree with you about the syringe feeding. I also find that if it's too watery they end up dribbling it out and it's difficult to judge how much they've actually had. I always make it as thick as I can get it through the syringe and they will eat it without spitting it out. I then just syringe pure water separately through 1 ml syringes if I think they need more hydration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's eating wet kale and wet parsley nothing else appeals, she had a nibble of carrot which is her favourite normally and some spinach earlier but now she's not interested in them. She's very fussy anyway so this just makes things more difficult.

There are 6 perfect poops in her tray :D hoping this continues still going to give her more cisapride at 4 though xx

Wow - best news all day :D

Great news that she's passed some more poops [emoji3]

Incidentally, I agree with you about the syringe feeding. I also find that if it's too watery they end up dribbling it out and it's difficult to judge how much they've actually had. I always make it as thick as I can get it through the syringe and they will eat it without spitting it out. I then just syringe pure water separately through 1 ml syringes if I think they need more hydration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I've been doing the same - glad I'm not the only one [emoji38]

Sorry I know its a bit grim... But anyone know what these poops mean? (the small strange shaped strung together ones)

Might be hair stringing them together but why are they long and thin? :S

Also got her eating ribwort :) xx
b7426864b582364da79f5f5990188093.jpg

Sorry I know its a bit grim... But anyone know what these poops mean? (the small strange shaped strung together ones)

They look pretty typical of poo from a bun recovering from gut stasis. The fecal pellets are often abnormal in shape and size initially and there may be some mucus around them. As gut motility returns to normal fecal shape/size/quantity should return to normal too.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Glad to read that she seems to be responding to treatment now :)

They look fine for the stage of recovery that she is at Grace :)

I wouldn't worry. Poops are coming!! Great news and I hope she will begin to eat on her own a bit more :)

Sometimes poop is strung together with hair (string of pearls). Hair can make stasis a lot worse, so you've done well to get her this far.

Ah thanks both, has given me some hope :)

The vet said yesterday she might be prone to getting stasis which would be really rubbish if this does turn into a pattern - are there dietary changes you can make for when they're healthy that would help prevent this happening? xx

Ah thanks both, has given me some hope :)

The vet said yesterday she might be prone to getting stasis which would be really rubbish if this does turn into a pattern - are there dietary changes you can make for when they're healthy that would help prevent this happening? xx

How many episodes of Stasis has Fleur had? Whilst it's true that some rabbits do seem to be more prone to getting it, I don't recall Fleur having had many attacks, which in my view would warrant the vet's conclusion that she might be prone to it.

From what you've posted here in the past I would have said that your rabbits have a healthy diet. However, if indeed it turns out that she is having frequent episodes then observing what food seems to cause is would be my first step. Also upping the fibre content of her food would be advisable, so less pellets and more hay/fibrous forage should help. Woody sticks are also good for a rabbit's digestion.

How many episodes of Stasis has Fleur had? Whilst it's true that some rabbits do seem to be more prone to getting it, I don't recall Fleur having had many attacks, which in my view would warrant the vet's conclusion that she might be prone to it.

From what you've posted here in the past I would have said that your rabbits have a healthy diet. However, if indeed it turns out that she is having frequent episodes then observing what food seems to cause is would be my first step. Also upping the fibre content of her food would be advisable, so less pellets and more hay/fibrous forage should help. Woody sticks are also good for a rabbit's digestion.

This will be the second altho the first was right after she was spayed so Idk if that's classed as it ?

I think they all have a healthy diet, Atticus is on a special diet due to megacolon - but Fleur and Clementine have fresh timothy hay, oat hay, ings hay far more than they could eat daily, a small egg cup of excel pellets daily and they also have a real mix of forage and veggie greens and herbs - also the sticks fluffers (think I've got that right) sells. They love stripping them :) even Atticus is allowed them they don't upset him :)

So hopefully none of that is causing her any harm xx

Back