• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fiver's Dental U/D post #50 doing better :)

What a time you're having! Sending lots of love and vibes for Fiver and I'm sure you could do with some ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) xx

Thank you everyone :love: you're all so kind to be thinking of us. :)
Well after very broken sleep and lots of having to start and stop syringe feedings (stupid opening kept clogging up and that would frustrate him and me) Fiver is doing okay although he's still wobbly. Poor bub, this was a hard surgery.
His poor wee leg where they put the cannula is still bloody looking and he washes it often. It must bother him. Plus his chin, dewlap and shirtfront are a mess from the cc, but he's so good about taking it. I'm going to be with him all day trying to keep him eating. He got his metacam this morning but it didn't seem to do much. :( I'm used to dentals being rough for him but this time was especially so.

If there are any vibes still going spare out there he could sure use them. I feel so very bad for him. :(
Many thanks from both of us! :love: xxxxx

Just caught up with your thread, so sorry you are having all this stress, bunnies and their nightmare teeth eh ? Glad Fiver is taking his feed ok, that can only be a good sign. Sending you coping vibes, and healing vibes for the furries xxxxx

Oh bless him :( I hope he's feeling better soon. Hopefully you might be able to catch up on some sleep today? Sending lots of vibes and hugs your way xx

Sending Fiver special dental recovery vibes. MR B takes at least a week before he starts to get back to any normal eating. It used to stress me out but now I try and not worry so much as I know its his mouth and sometimes cheek healing. Hugs xxx

Thanks again everyone :)
Hi Amanda, yes, Fiver is always the one who will start eating the slowest. :( I think he just does not do well with the anesthetic either and that really makes him spaced out and unresponsive for a few days. He finally had some decent pain relief this morning (he is used to the dog metacam, so since he just had cat metacam yesterday no wonder he was unhappy all night) and this afternoon is at last beginning to remind me of the Fiver I know.
He also ate some hay a little while ago so....woot! :D Once he starts he will likely keep going. I'll continue to syringe as long as he'll take it but I won't force the issue if he keeps at his hay. Not quite sure just how much he needs, he seems to top up rather quickly. I don't want him to pop! :shock: I found all my stock of pumpkin was bad last night, so OH went and got me some fresh stuff today, and now Fiver may not need it but at least I have it onhand and who knows, he may like a little cold slurry on those sore gums this evening. ;) He needs the fiber, his little poos look like shriveled pips. :( He has poo-ed a bit, last night and today and I caught him sneaking a few as snacks instead of cecals :mrgreen: (which I haven't seen him reaching for, sure hope his cecum is okay.)

How on earth will I get his fur cleaned up though? I would like to get a better look at that leg, and try to clear up his chin and dewlap, but he really doesn't want to be touched in those areas. Will it be okay to just let him get on with it as he feels more up to washing himself? It won't hurt him to have a bit of CC stuck to his beard, will it? :( And the cannula site should be sterile, it just looks awful. :cry:

I'm just hoping to grab a little kip this afternoon because I was up and down so much last night. I think I'm a lot less stressed about this now as I used to be when the bunnies were younger, but I don't sleep well as it is, so any little thing I have to tend to will creep into my head at night anyway and wake me a few times. There are plenty of issues knocking at the door to my Land of Nod! :lol:

Thanking you all again for your well wishes. I do believe they are helping my wee lad. :love: Bless you all. xxxxxxxx

Oh Mimzmum, what you're going through .. and poor Fiver!

I'm glad the news is guardedly good, and hope it gets better over night. I would leave him be and not worry about sorting out his bits and bobs right now.

I hope you can get some rest. I know what anxiety does to my sleep pattern :shock:

Sending ((((( hugs )))))

I am glad Fiver is picking up again, mine eat their regular bumbles from time to time when they don't feel right too. I hope you are all doing ok and are managing to get some sleep, sending continued vibes your way xxx

Thanks again everyone...sorry for no update till now. :oops:
Well by very late last night Fiver was finally tucking into his hay with regularity, so I thought it best to leave him to it and got a bit of sleep last night...still shattered today however...guess I don't recover well from bunny dentals either! :lol:
He is still eating hay today, (I did try a few syringe feeds but he was having none of it), but he does seem to move his mouth oddly. I'm also concerned that his mouth/lips looked almost blue today...I put it down to him still having a bit of Critical Care stuck there, but I thought perhaps he was bruised? It might have extended to his gums also, but then my eyesight is such I can't be certain and of course he will not let me touch him there...or on the leg that the cannula was in. Other spots on his face are pink, so it's not an oxygen question. He is not gasping. But he does open his mouth widely and then it looks like it must ache because he closes it and opens it again and it's like he wants it open wider and it just won't go...as if his jaw is stuck. :(

He'll open and shut his jaw a lot just before he goes for his cecals and I have seen him eating those now, but I think the effort is very difficult for him. :(

I know that when a bunny is having it's teeth burred, there is a clamp like device that holds the mouth open...wondering if maybe he is just still very sore from this. :?
I noticed the xrays showed he was intubated. Maybe the tube caused some discomfort?

He was happy enough to bounce out of his enclosure and onto my bed for a bit today, and he is alert and bright while doing so...his bunny flops are scaring me to death however because his upward eye will be wide open and he won't move at first when I stroke him to be certain he is still breathing. :shock: Then he leaps up and off into his litterbox (his safety spot as he knows I pretty much leave him alone whilst he's in there) and I get the grumpy face...you know the one that rexes have built in. ;)

Ahhh...my poor wee lad. He was so glad to have his doggy metacam today. He almost didn't care about the greens, just get hold of that syringe! :lol: Seeing him first thing this morning, he did seem still shaken by the experience so maybe, like me, he is just getting old and needs a bit more time.

Now if I can just get through Jenna's dental next week...praying for good weather as we're in for snow almost every day till then. :(

Poor little man, it does sound like he's been through the mill! :( sending tons of vibes for him, I hope his mouth starts to feel better very soon xxx

Oh bless him, I really hope his mouth is feeling back to normal soon. Fingers crossed for better weather for you, really hope Jenna's dental goes smoothly xx

Greàt Fiver is tucking into hay. I can't can't help with the jaw, it could be part of the discomfort. Hope that stops very soon. Xxx

Just a last update here: got a call from Fiver's vet yesterday and he did confirm that the clamp they use to hold their jaws open can cause post op discomfort. It does appear that this is waning somewhat though, so not as concerned about it.
He is still eating like a horse and seems pretty comfy. I may call and ask about his leg though, which still looks a dark red color (it may just be the contrast with his white fur, but it seems to be darker in color even than the areas on his hocks that are sore) and see if I need to try to put a compress on it or if there's nothing to be done about it. :(

Thanks again to everyone who replied and kept my wee man in their thoughts and prayers. :love: xxxxxxx

Back