• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fiver's Dental U/D post #50 doing better :)

Just thought I'd update...when I woke at 6 this morning it was pitch black outside, still foggy as far as you could see (which was about 6 feet) and sleet coming down in buckets. The dental has been shifted to next Monday (the vet only does surgeries on Mondays) and I'll also be taking Jenna in that afternoon to see her vet as she has some nasty calculus forming on her own teeth and I don't want her to lose any more. She also has had an odd wee lump just ahead of her right foreleg on her chest that I want looked at. I don't think it's anything to worry about because I can move it with the skin, but best be safe than sorry.

Someday I might get ahead of all this worry about poorly animals, but today is not the day. :( Still...kind of glad I didn't have to drive in this nasty weather and that the vets were very understanding about it all. :) I was actually quite upset last night thinking about taking Fiver in, I'm still so worried he might have a problem with his dental this time. :(

Needless to say, didn't take daughter in for her bloods either. Have to hope for better weather than this! :shock:

I guess at least by having Fiver's Dental postponed means that you can combine both his and Jenna's Vet visit to the same day rather than having to make two separate return journeys. Here's hoping that the weather is less challenging next Monday.

Hope the weather is kinder next week, and you can get vets over and done with. Hope daughters ok too. Vibes for all the furries, and a hug for you coming your way xxxxxx

Really hope the weather is kinder on Monday, and that you can get everyone sorted xx

Thank you everyone :)
OH and daughter may be going in tomorrow for her test. So hopefully that will be out of the way. She's been pretty stressed about it and recently had a manufacturer change on her medicine for her nerves. It seems to have resulted in her being more on edge. I hate when this happens and you have no recourse to change it. :(
Fiver seems to be doing a bit better at any rate. I do wonder if maybe his last hay was just too coarse and that's why he shunned his water bottle. He was taking drinks from it again today. We've got his favorite third cut timothy hay in and he's loving it. :)

Jenna has me worried as she's behaving like she did right before she got her colitis. :( Really hoping for good weather at month's end.
That in itself boggles my mind...how can it be almost the end of October already?! :shock:

Sending mega amounts of vibes for you all MimzMum xxx I remember once my bunny Lola just point blank stopped using her bottle. We never got to the bottom of that apart from thinking she injured herself on it somehow so maybe it was a similar thing, but good to hear Fiver is using it again.

I truly hope the weather improves, you could really do without the added worry of that xxx

Thanks nbb, yeah still can't work out why he's suddenly using it again, unless it was the change of his hay from 2nd to 3rd cut timothy (a lot softer and more like redigrass), but overall he seems more comfortable than he was. Continues to eat like he's got a wooden leg he's keeping it in! Still we're scheduled for his appointment tomorrow morning. Just a bit extra worry, OH has fallen and hurt himself in the last few days and actually had to go to ER this morning to be sure nothing was broken. I know he's thinking of driving Fiver in so I can be rested enough to pick him up and take Jenna for her visit in the afternoon, but I really think he shouldn't be doing anything but laying down. :( He is very ill at present with several ailments and I worry every time he goes out the door. So maybe this time I could ask for vibes for both of them for a safe trip in, please? I'm scared enough that the GA will be hard on Fiver, but this added stress doesn't help. :(

Nights have become cold now, in the 20's above, and I just have to hope there's no ice on the roads. Jenna would have to wait for her dental (and to have a small lump removed if the vet decides to do it) on Thursday and we're supposed to have snow that day that goes all weekend. :roll:

As a side note to my anxiety meter, my daughter's blood tests came back with depressing news, she now has to have thyroid meds and she's devastated...jeez, when does it stop?

Anyone have a rock I can crawl under? :cry:

Oh gosh, sometimes it really does seem like everything happens at once :( that is good that Fiver is eating away at his food :) I truly hope the weather is ok for tomorrow and Thursday, your OH sounds like a good man wanting to help out when he is not 100%, wishing him and your daughter well, maybe she won't need the thyroid meds for too long with any luck?

Will be thinking of you all for tomorrow, sending lots of vibes your way. Let us know how you all get on when you are able xxx

I am so sorry that the stress is not abating, I know just how exhausting it can be to do the basics and having so many issues to worry about at once can be over-whelming.

I really hope that all will go well for Fiver and that the journey is as straightforward as possible.

Please let C know that I am sorry that her thyroid levels now mean she needs medication. But hopefully she will get into a routine with taking it and in the longterm it will keep her feeling well.

Millions of vibes being sent for all of you :love:

So sorry there is so much stress :( everything really does happen at once sometimes :(
Sending lots of vibes all round xx

Thank you everyone :love:
Well, we've been home since about 6 PM (I went to pick Fiver up at Jenna's appointment time) and it's 9 PM here now and I am worried he is in pain.
I should've trusted my gut instinct and gotten his teeth done this summer. :( The vet said his spurs had grown long and thin and up into his gums. :( He said he had to pull the gums back to get the teeth burred properly so poor little guy is really sore.
They syringe fed him at the vet and told me I need to do this until he's eating properly again. No worries, I can handle that.
What cheeses me off is they don't want him to have any more pain relief until morning. :evil:
He had a shot of buprenorphine (.3mg/ml) and one of loxicom (0.10 5mg/ml) according to his bill. He also had 0.10 midazolam 5mg/ml and 0.07 ketamine 100 mg.ml and 1 Propoflo 28. (I know these last three would've been what they used to put him under for the surgery.)
At his last weigh-in on Oct. 15 he was 1.57 lbs...(I was shocked to see in his history he was once 3.15 lbs. :shock: That was back in August of 2011.) He is awfully thin so I don't want him overdosed. :(

Poor little guy is hunched over, although he's tried to clean himself up from all the sloppy Critical Care. He's nibbling (carefully and with great effort) little bits of kale. He won't touch his hay.

I want to give him his 0.3 ml of metacam, especially since he didn't have his dose this morning, but I'm not sure if it would harm him. :(

He won't even come out of his enclosure to sit on the warm blanket and I can't find the Snugglesafe. I'm very worried about him. :cry: I hate to see him hurting and I don't want to stress him further since he hates handling, but I'll have to try to syringe him soon.

Going to be a long night for me an I've been up since 6 AM. :( It's nothing compared to how rubbish he must be feeling. :(

Word to the wise...if you have a bunny who's even mildly presenting with tooth trouble...get him seen and insist on having their teeth assessed and if there's even a hint of trouble, get them done...do not wait no matter how well your bun seems within themselves. :( Kicking the dental can down the road doesn't make it any better.

Fortunately, his xrays show good roots and cheek teeth. No signs of trouble in his ears either, although I can see tonight just how badly he's scratched the backs of them. There is almost no more hair on them at the base of each one. :( That alone should've told me how bad his teeth were. I feel like a terrible bunny mum. :cry:

ml1, I get my hay from KMS Hayloft in Washington state. It is lovely hay when they get a good crop, but I'd been gun-shy after that one year that we had the mites come with it. :shock:
The third cut is lovely stuff and I'm glad we do have it for when Fiver starts eating again because that second cut would've been far to rough for him.

ETA: Jenna is fine, but she is scheduled for November 5 for her dental. We have a huge storm coming in this Thursday, so I can't take her in then due to how the road will be, but by that time the roads should be well groomed...hopefully.

The 'lump' I thought she had was another sebaceous cyst. This is the second in as many months. Vet said she'll get more as she gets older, and I'm glad it's not a tumor or fatty lump...but as he palpated it, it burst. So there's nothing there now but a small wound.

Now I've had cysts like this and they all needed surgical removal, so since at first he thought it was a nipple (in her armpit??) I am a bit skeptical and I'm thinking she's picking up thorns or slivers of hay that are reacting with her skin and causing these little pustules. I couldn't get it to open here at home, but he was just rubbing the area with his finger and then next thing we knew it was gone. So yeah, would kind of like to know how she's getting these things. :?

He does think her front lower left canine is in trouble though, so back in we go in two weeks to have her done. Yup. I'm going to be a puddle on the floor by then! :roll:

Hopefully Fiver will start to pick up alot over the next 24 hours. What a lot of stress for all of you

Sending millions more vibes xx

Okay, he's finally stretched out and laid down. Still not eating anything but he seems a bit more relaxed.
Not sure how often I'd have to syringe feed him. I should probably have done by now, but he's just gotten a bit comfy, I'd hate to disturb him. :(

I never know what's best. :( I wish he could talk to me and tell me what he'd like. I suppose I could offer up a little canned plain pumpkin, that used to be his favorite treat, but I don't want to overly upset his tummy. I can imagine that, as always, it is difficult for him to clear the anesthetic.

Gosh I miss his old vet...she was a wiz with this stuff. :( This new one is good, but I think a bit conservative with medications. :?

ETA: Just saw your post, Jane. Thank you. :) Do you think he will be okay for now or should I try a feed?

Okay, he's finally stretched out and laid down. Still not eating anything but he seems a bit more relaxed.
Not sure how often I'd have to syringe feed him. I should probably have done by now, but he's just gotten a bit comfy, I'd hate to disturb him. :(

I never know what's best. :( I wish he could talk to me and tell me what he'd like. I suppose I could offer up a little canned plain pumpkin, that used to be his favorite treat, but I don't want to overly upset his tummy. I can imagine that, as always, it is difficult for him to clear the anesthetic.

Gosh I miss his old vet...she was a wiz with this stuff. :( This new one is good, but I think a bit conservative with medications. :?

ETA: Just saw your post, Jane. Thank you. :) Do you think he will be okay for now or should I try a feed?

How long since his last feed and how much did he have ? Has there been any output yet ?

I'd offer him any soft food that he may eat for himself at the moment.

I think he had to have been fed sometime before 5 PM, that's about when we left the vet's. I haven't seen him poo yet and I can't rely on the litterbox that was in his carrier, it may have had leavings from the morning.
He's laying flat on his belly, but his eyes still look glassy (surgery meds or pain, not sure which) and he's breathing evenly but slowly.
He's had a couple of bits and bobs of kale twice since coming home. It's his favorite vegetable and doesn't seem to cause the tummy distress that other stuff does, but he's only gingerly eaten those and has to stop from time to time. He polished them both off though.
He's not drunk any water either that I can see.

ETA: Sorry...also have no idea how much they fed him...a good deal of it was stuck to his chin though. :(

Last edited:
Okay, he took a few sips off the feeding syringe but it has no markings so I guess a few tenths of a ml?
I'm shocked. ..I didn't even have to catch him...he just took the cc out of the syringe willingly! :shock:

Back