• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver throwing binkies, U/D post # 106

I have heard that about dill also. Probably read it on here! I think a member mentioned both carrot tops and dill help their rabbit when it was gassy.
Also, dill oil is something Ive seen in a natural type infant gas liquid before.

With the canned pumpkin, can you freeze in in small portions? I sometimes use an ice cube try to freeze things like that and those baby food fruit purees. Or Ill put in a ziplock bag, spread it out and freeze so it's a flat sheet. It's then easy to cut off a portion when needed and it defrosts quickly.

Topping up the {{{vibes}}} for Fiver! I hope the vet is able to determine what is going on and sort things out.

I have heard that about dill also. Probably read it on here! I think a member mentioned both carrot tops and dill help their rabbit when it was gassy.
Also, dill oil is something Ive seen in a natural type infant gas liquid before.

With the canned pumpkin, can you freeze in in small portions? I sometimes use an ice cube try to freeze things like that and those baby food fruit purees. Or Ill put in a ziplock bag, spread it out and freeze so it's a flat sheet. It's then easy to cut off a portion when needed and it defrosts quickly.

Topping up the {{{vibes}}} for Fiver! I hope the vet is able to determine what is going on and sort things out.

That's a really good tip jerseygirl :D

Yes dill oil is certainly in the gripe water that we have here:

http://www.boots.com/woodwards-gripe-water-150ml-10006777

Oh hey, I know I've tried freezing pumpkin in ice cube trays but yeah, that was the issue...how to get it out of the tray and into a consistency that bunny would even consider eating it again! I'll try the baggy trick and see if it works for us. Thanks Jerz! :)

Well I slept through my alarms again! :( So Fiver went approximately 5 hours without any moist food. His poos were like pips again this morning but there was about 20 of them, all tiny. I got him some lettuce and pumpkin (new can) which he wolfed down immediately and then repeated this until about 8:30 am when I called the vet. The receptionist checked with the dr. (but not sure if this is the rabbit savvy one, when I got there they were speaking to him on the phone and it was a name I hadn't heard before :( ) and they told me to bring him in right away. So, about 5 hours of broken sleep and a 30 minute car ride later, he's at the vet and going in for his dental. They'll call me when he's ready to go home.

Please, please, please...vibes for my wee man. He was a bit brighter after eating a little bit but I'm really worried for him. :(

I'm really pleased that they managed to fit him in earlier for his dental, but I know how worrying this must be for you. Sending Fiver loads of vibes. I hope he's soon home with you and recovering well.

Sorry I haven't seen this in the last couple of days. What a hard time you're having :cry: Loads of vibes for Fiver and really hope things improve for you now x

Hello everyone, and thank you all once more for all your kind thoughts, posts and vibes for my little man. :love: Please forgive me for the rant I am about to embark on, but...

Apparently we didn't get 'the full monty' with this dental, but the attending vet only gassed him down a bit and then filed his spur (there was one on one side and maybe a bit of one on the other, it never takes much with Fiver) and made sure he had no ulcers or abscesses, however;

He was not hooked up to fluids and I had to insist they at least gave sub q's before I left,

He had no pain cover since last night...someone told them not to give him metacam because he "had a bad reaction to it." So he didn't get ANY pain relief even though they only gave him light sedation to burr his teeth,

They did not make sure he ate before he went home. Luckily I had his lettuce, mint and pumpkin in their refrigerator and put some in his dish for the trip home. But now although he's had his 0.4 mls of metacam (at around 6 PM, this will throw his schedule off) and plenty to eat (a few spoonfuls of pumpkin, some lettuce, some mint and even a wee bit of hay) and his tummy feels full (maybe a bit too, so he made a little pig of himself) he looks very sorry for himself and uncomfortable again. And he is so upset, he is spraying his enclosure...or maybe he can't hold his urine at the moment, and this is distressing to me. :(

I am pretty much watching him from afar so I don't upset him and leaving him to it, but I think I might even move him into the bedroom and hang the consequences for the evening. I think he needs extra supervision at the moment. The cost for this 'mini dental' was minimal, but if it hasn't done the job, he still has to go back Monday for a proper dental...at $200+! :shock:

I thought he seemed a bit better at first when we got home but he seems not so happy now and I can imagine that his jaw is sore. :( Why they couldn't give him something other than metacam for pain (they know he has a spinal condition) I have no idea.
I'm also worried that he seemed happier before his metacam dose. I wonder if we're going to have to switch pain killers for him? I worry how his kidneys are and, oh yes, no bloodwork done either. Am I overreacting to be shocked at this? Especially with an animal they've only seen today for the first time?

I am not a happy bunny. :evil:

But he is home and he has eaten and I just hope he doesn't have further trouble. He's definitely getting rid of those fluids! Do you think he's spraying because he's uncomfortable or upset or could they have damaged his bladder handling him? There is no blood, it is very dilute and clear, but I am disturbed that I can't touch him without him letting go a wee fountain. :(

I think this office leaves a lot to be desired. They apparently do not see rabbits as pets, just as livestock. I had to deal with a vet once before who didn't believe in pain relief for a rabbit (ironically, this was also Fiver) and after I raised a stink with the practice, she left to return to the Midwest where she was from (no offense to any US members who live there, nothing wrong with the location, just this one vet)...doubtful it was due to me, but perhaps other people had problems with her methods.

Regardless of how I'm going to have to insist on certain treatment for my bunnies from now on, I have to deal with these people as long as I have pets, and I can't risk peeing them off, but I am damned angry! :evil:

I know I should be happy that this didn't break my bank but I am worried it's only going to be a temporary fix and then I have to pay more to make it right. :(

/rant over

I just hope he's going to be alright. I finally turned the lights down in the bunny room to give him some space to relax but if I ever wished I had a bunny cam, now is the time! :(

So glad that Fiver is back home and has eaten something. It sounds like the vet will go for the cheapest, quickest treatment possible rather than spending time on a beloved pet :evil:.

I have no idea about the peeing or why he reacts to the metacam, sorry. Unless the metacam is irritating his tummy since he isn't eating a lot?

Sorry I can't be any help, but I hope you get a decent night's sleep, and that Fiver improves. I expect you would be worried sick about him having a full dental after this.

So glad that Fiver is back home and has eaten something. It sounds like the vet will go for the cheapest, quickest treatment possible rather than spending time on a beloved pet :evil:.

I have no idea about the peeing or why he reacts to the metacam, sorry. Unless the metacam is irritating his tummy since he isn't eating a lot?

Sorry I can't be any help, but I hope you get a decent night's sleep, and that Fiver improves. I expect you would be worried sick about him having a full dental after this.

I want to thank you all again for keeping Fiver (and Mimz and I) in your thoughts. :)

Weedug, I have to thank you for reminding me that metacam isn't always well tolerated even by long term users. Mimzy has really never had stomach trouble from taking it, but now that I realize Fiver likely had tooth trouble perhaps even before we left Alaska, now I realize that he's not been eating well for a long time (hence the weight loss) and so the high dose of metacam he was on is probably rotting his gut. :(

So I was on the phone quite a bit today to the vet's. They claim they can't give him anything else for pain, but if I'd like to bring him for laser treatment that might help. :roll:
Needless to say, I got a little hot with the receptionist because I am out of peanuts. I finally asked, "So he's to have no other pain relief, but we're going to let this stuff burn a hole in his stomach?" (I was seriously irate at this point. Poor girl.)

So she went back and talked to the doctor again, meanwhile I got on the horn to my old vet, ready to get documentation that Fiver has taken gabapentin before (they can't seem to find this in his records apparently) and that there are always options like tramadol and that my vet was ready to put him on famotidine or ranitidine if he needed it to keep his tummy safe from the effects of metacam.
Didn't hear back from Alaska, but that's okay, he will call, he's likely very busy this time of year. But the vet here has some medication I can pick up tomorrow (oh goody, another long car trip!) since by the time we got round to this today, I was far too tired to drive all that way. I will grab some other things I couldn't shop for when I brought Fiver home the other day as I didn't want to wait another hour to get him home and settled and medicated and fed.

So I'm not going to be the most popular person at the practice tomorrow, but I will never forget a member's admonition here that I first saw in their signature years ago...If you don't advocate for your rabbit, who will?

Here's hoping that this medicine makes taking metacam easier for Fiver. He still doesn't like being dosed and dashes around fighting me over it. I don't think it's that he doesn't like the meds, it's that they are hurting him somehow and he knows it. He's trying to tell me and I'm trying to listen.
In the meantime, yes he is eating better but not drinking much. I figure it's because his diet still mostly consists of pumpkin, lettuce, mint, some CC (he doesn't always want that either) and small bits of hay.

So thank you all for your vibes and prayers and thoughts. He is still going and if his reaction to being around Mimzy tonight (who is starting to improve on his baytril regimen) is any indication, if he could feel well enough to have time with him more often without getting injured by him, it would do him a world of good and he'd be a different bunny. :)

Now it's past 2 am here and I have to grab some kip. Sorry to be short ad scattered with my replies, but I don't dare make that drive anymore without a good 7 hours if I can get them. I've scared myself a few times on that road feeling like I'm going to nod! :shock:

What a rough time you are having MM. Your vet practice doesn't sound very supportive which will add to your stress. I don't know why they don't want to give Tramadol or gabapentin :?. That should allow you to reduce or stop the metacam. The ranitidine might take a little while to give the best affect.

Really hope you get a good sleep and get the meds you need. Perhaps you could phone to check what you are getting first, to make sure it's not something you already have.

Sending more hugs and vibes xx

Back