• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding.

I am so glad they are doing really well. I wouldn't worry about the grooming some rabbits groom one another m ore than others. I think it should be ok to increase their space at the weekend. Take some of their bedding with them so it smells familiar. Sometimes, when you put bonded rabbits in a different environment there is some humping as they have to reestablish the dominance thing. So if you let them do that for a short time then intervene, it should calm down fairly soon.

I have managed to wangle a day off work so OH and I have increased the bonding space for our buns. They are now in an outdoor run-type cage but in our living room. So far so good I think, they just did a lot of hopping around and exploring of their new area. Poppy did mount Gus a couple of times and there was a bit of chasing after that. They haven't chased each other before so please do tell me if this is a bad sign.

However after the chasing they continued to sit and snuggle together, eat together and groom each other.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

As you have put them in a new space, they are just reinstating their hierarchy. Nothing to worry about. Just take the changes slowly.

I think if you have had a bit of chasing/mounting as long as it doesn't escalate it sounds fine, every time I had to move mine or extend their pen there was a bit of chasing whilst they re established who was boss etc!

If it escalates reduce their space for at least 48hrs whilst things settle, otherwise just leave them in their new space for at least 48hrs before you extend their space or move them anywhere else. Sounds like it's going well, can we have some pics please;):thumb:

They're so lovely :) chuffed with how it's going. I hugely appreciate everyone's advice it has been so helpful. X

Just a little U/D

After slowly increasing their space for a few weeks they are now in what was Poppy's room together :) we neutralised everything and it has all seemed to work beautifully. Hooray! As far as I'm aware Poppy has also grown tired of mounting Gus. Every so often she gets into position and I think she's about to do it but then she just goes to groom his ears :love:

They had lots of exercise and binkies in the garden together this weekend and I was amazed at the speed at which Gus can run around as he's a slightly porky chap bless him! Hopefully the bond remains and they will have a long and happy life together.

Back