• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding.

harrietec

Warren Scout
We rescued a young Lionhead called Poppy in August last year and after getting her spayed in early November we rehomed a 18 month old boy called Gus this weekend.

We just tried their first bonding session and just thought I would throw what happened out there incase anyone has any advice or suggestions as to how things are going and what we can do going forward.

We put them in the spare room as it was neutral territory and we have set up another hutch a few inches away from the original one so they can't bite each other through the bars (just incase).
Within seconds Gus mounted Poppy. Is this normal/ok? Poppy didn't seem to mind with this initial mount but when he tried to again a few other times throughout the session she thumped and moved away.

There was no biting throughout, Gus licked Poppy's nose at one point and they stayed quite close a couple of times and also touched noses. At one point Poppy had a bit of a lie down while Gus had some hay.

Does this sound promising?? Should we leave it at that for today or try again later?

It sounds very promising. If it were me I would have kept them together, as separating them tends to confuse them. As long as there is no aggression (fighting) just keep on and hopefully in a week's time you should have 2 happily bonded bunnies. You will need to keep a close eye on them for the first 3 days but from what you say, it sounds good.

As long as you keep them in this neutral room they will bond, but if you move them too soon to an area where Poppy has been then she could get territorial and attack him. So they need to stay in this neutral room for a good couple of weeks. Are they then going to live somewhere Poppy has been before? If so you will need to neutralise everything they use with 50/50 white vinegar/water in order to remove her scent.

You might need to scatter their food at first which makes it easier for both of them to find it.

If you can't sleep nearby in order to hear if any fighting breaks out, you can separate them for the first night then start again the following morning. By the second night you should have a better picture as to how it is going.

Good luck.

Excellent advice from Tonibun. Hope it all continues to go well. Pictures are always popular!

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't know to keep them together if it's going well so I hope I didn't confuse them too much. We tried another session this evening and it went well. I took a picture and have set it as my avatar :)

Although this time Gus did seem to be getting a little fed up with all the attention towards the end so back in the hutches they went.

Yes they will end up in the one big space where Poppy was first. The animal shelter said it would be good to a do a deep clean but he didn't say how so thanks very much for that tip tonibun.

Looks from your photo/avatar as if things are going great. Agree with the great advice Toni bun gave. Once the bonding is going well keep them together but supervise closely for a few days... and the white vinegar trick works really well :)

Looks from your photo/avatar as if things are going great. Agree with the great advice Toni bun gave. Once the bonding is going well keep them together but supervise closely for a few days... and the white vinegar trick works really well :)

Hi again guys, once again looking for some advice.

I knew it couldn't be that easy!!

Everything was going great but the last couple of days have been a challenge. I know we have to be patient and put the time and effort in but I just don't understand why it has shifted.

Poppy started mounting Gus constantly. He doesn't respond aggressively but he certainly doesn't seem a fan and it isn't as harmonious as it was before. They still show signs of affection when Poppy doesn't mount him, there is a bit of grooming and they eat together and lie next to each other, but Poppy still gets up every so often and mounts him! She won't stop!

Does anyone have any idea why the sudden change? Gus mounted her straight away on Sunday when they got put into their neutral territory and that was that, he hasn't done it since. Will Poppy just slowly grow out of it or is there some kind of battle for dominance going on here?

im not a bonding expert but i think that if you keep separating them and putting them back together then the humping will continue for longer as poppy is trying to reinstate her dominance every time they meet. when they are put together they are new and exciting and will mount etc. but if they are left together then hopefully they will eventually tire of each other and do something else like eat! are you able to supervise them for a few days in the neutral territory so they can sort everything out?

In that case this weekend shall become the weekend of bonding. Unfortunately am at work full time so haven't been able to do a stint longer than a couple of hours with them yet.

Hopefully Poppy will get bored. May have to distract her with some lovely veggies.

Bonding weekend starts tonight. Really hope it goes ok :( Got oven gloves and food for distraction at the ready.

Just to check a couple of things, if Poppy is constantly mounting Gus and then Gus is chasing Poppy, I should just leave them to it shouldn't I? I'm sure I read somewhere you're only supposed to intervene if there is fighting. I can't tell whether there is nipping going on when Gus gets annoyed at the moment.

I tend not to tolerate too much humping etc. It shouldn't last very long because they will keep it up if you let them, so I tell them to stop it, give them something to eat. You have to be in control at times, although it depends on the buns. It's just like children really, if you see them getting too rough you intervene.

Thanks tonibun. I will just have to strap on a pair and get on with it!!! I'm useless with children so hopefully I won't be that bad!

Good luck for this weekend :thumb:when I did my bond I slept next to the bonding pen to break up any potential fights. I found that a glass (or 2 or more) of wine for me helped me feel a lot more relaxed about it all :lol:

Funny you should say that Zoobec as we have just opened a bottle!

Well, bonding weekend has begun. They are in the bath, and Poppy began her usual antics of humping away at Gus. However this time I was prepared with food, oven gloves and courage! I took tonibun's advice and decided not to tolerate it anymore. I am the boss.

So everytime she did it I took her away to the other side of the tub and told her off. Over the past 3 hours she has tried to do it less and less and now all I have to do is say "Poppy" in a low tone and put my finger in front of her as if to say no and she seems to back off. Gus seems much happier with this. She continues to put her nose down in front of him for him to groom her and he was reluctant to do it before but he has been grooming her a lot more tonight. They have both done a few dbfs next to each other and my confidence in getting this right is definitely growing.

My only worry now is overnight. I'm glad you said that you slept next to the pen Zoobec but I was wondering if I'm totally nuts for considering sleeping in the bathroom for tonight, just to keep an eye on it. I'm just afraid I will wake up in the morning and all this progress will be undone.

Anyway, I have taken a few pics and will have to work out how to put them on here properly but they are sat next to each other with a big pile of spinach at the moment :) For anyone reading this, it is hard work but so totally worth it for those moments when they groom each other and snuggle up. So so worth it.

Sounds like it's going well :thumb: can't wait to see pics. I've only ever done the one bond but read all the bonding threads available, helped me understand what to expect :D the main thing i picked up on is not to rush expanding the space and/or moving them to a different space, each time you do that it can spark off chasing etc. I think the general rule of thumb is to wait at least 48 hours after there's been any kind of unsettled behaviour before expanding the space/moving them, and the longer you can leave them the better. I read a really good bonding link by "the Duchess" on this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...males-that-have-always-been-in-separate-cages

Ok, opinion time. What what you guys do in my situation?

They have been together in the bath since about 6:30pm. Since half 9 Poppy has only tried to mount Gus once and it's now half 11. Other than that they have been getting along famously. Would you go to bed in the next room and try to keep an ear out, sleep in the bathroom with them to monitor it or stay up? Just worried the second I turn my back they will regress.

I could definitely stay awake if I wanted to (ex-insomniac) and make it through to tomorrow evening but don't know if its the best course of action.

If I were you I'd try and get some sleep, either in the bathroom if you can get comfy or more practically sleep in the next room, you could always keep checking on them :thumb: unless you are a really heavy sleeper I'm sure if there were any scuffles you would wake up :D

Hmmm.....well......they are now both sat side by side happily eating hay. They don't appear to be mortal enemies or anything...I might try and sleep. Poor OH is working tomorrow morning so I will sleep in the spare room so I don't disturb him when I get up to check on them in the night.

Must remain positive! Even if we go back a few steps throughout the night I have the whole of tomorrow to get it right again. It's been a much more successful evening than I thought it would be.

Sorry if I'm being annoying everyone, I must say I massively appreciate everybody's patience with me and all your advice. I just really care about my bunnies and want to do my best for them :)

G'night all! x

Back