• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally purchased a hutch for the new buns...

Emmzie

Warren Scout
After looking for small sheds/wendy houses in my area with no luck I decided to purchase a hutch.

I know it is not ideal, only 5ft rather than the 6ft I wanted but I am going to modify it by attaching a run at the bottom, or I may purchase some roundaround tubes that goes into a large run.

The weather is so horrible today, I'm going to hate having my buns outside :( but my partner won't let me keep them inside. Meany! :roll:

It may take some time to get the hutch and run to how I want it but I'm in a bit of a rush as the buns are ready on Tuesday but the breeder agreed to keep them for another week. She would keep them longer but she has new additions due.

I've never had a wooden hutch before but I'm going to change the front to suitable locks and going to put none slip lino inside, does anyone have any tips and photos of the inside of their hutch so I can get some ideas please? :D

It was £99, reduced from £130. More than I really wanted to spend but it's the only one I've seen that seems ideal until I can modify it.

Last edited:
I'd definitely think about the runaround. I really want some for my buns, just have to work out how to work it into their setup. Re. Run. I would definitely say bigger is better, I have a 6.5ft x approx 3 ft which I thought looked huge when I got it and now it's got my buns in with all their toys I think it's too small and want another bigger one, that I will then attach to the existing one using runaround. Welfare hutches do some good ones. Also think about getting a 3ft high one as my two like climbing on stuff and the 3ft would give extra height clearance :)

I'd definitely think about the runaround. I really want some for my buns, just have to work out how to work it into their setup. Re. Run. I would definitely say bigger is better, I have a 6.5ft x approx 3 ft which I thought looked huge when I got it and now it's got my buns in with all their toys I think it's too small and want another bigger one, that I will then attach to the existing one using runaround. Welfare hutches do some good ones. Also think about getting a 3ft high one as my two like climbing on stuff and the 3ft would give extra height clearance :)

Thank you for the info! :D

I am seriously shocked of the lack of large hutches online, pet stores should stock large hutches since 6ft is recommended, totally beyond me!

The runaround tubes look amazing, I have a very small garden with no grass so I'm going to put the hutch on the paving then get a runaround tube to connect to the run (taking your advice, bigger the better) the run will be on the decking which will be round the corner from the hutch. Otherwise my space is limited.

It make take some time but at least I've made a start :)

Sounds like you have a good plan hatched. And I don't think anyone on here started off with the perfect set up. Everyone learns as they go and things take time to get perfect. You must be so excited to get your buns! Have you decided on names yet?

Sounds like you have a good plan hatched. And I don't think anyone on here started off with the perfect set up. Everyone learns as they go and things take time to get perfect. You must be so excited to get your buns! Have you decided on names yet?

I have learnt a lot after I had Fudge. I didn't have a suitable set up for him, Regret that. Also the fact he didn't have a friend and he was left at home all day until I came home from work. Hope he doesn't look down and think "Why didn't you do that for me!" Places like Pets @ Home need to sell bigger hutches. Fudge was my first bunny and I bought my hutch from Pets @ Home thinking it is suitable, as why would they sell it? Since joining here I now know it wasn't, not at all. He was very happy bun, from what I could tell.

Well, the black buck has to be called Olly, for obviously reasons ;) and the orange doe will be named Cinnamon. Although I may change my mind after getting to know their personalities. I call all bunnies, 'Bun' haha.

I'm also considering adopting a bunny in a few years time, once I have a bigger set up!

Obvious reasons? (Sorry if I'm being blonde!!) haha! Love the names :) and I'm sure fudge is thinking nothing of the sort, I know how much you loved him and it was clear from the pics you posted that he felt the same way about you. I too have learned so much from this forum, it doesn't matter what you did in the past, just you want to learn and always improve, at least that's what I think :) I've made mistakes with mine, and they still love me and are happy wee buns :)

Obvious reasons? (Sorry if I'm being blonde!!) haha! Love the names :) and I'm sure fudge is thinking nothing of the sort, I know how much you loved him and it was clear from the pics you posted that he felt the same way about you. I too have learned so much from this forum, it doesn't matter what you did in the past, just you want to learn and always improve, at least that's what I think :) I've made mistakes with mine, and they still love me and are happy wee buns :)

Oh, I'm a MASSIVE Olly Murs fan. I'm 25, nearly 26. You would think I'm 16 the way I go on. Totally didn't ask my mum for a Olly Murs t-shirt for my birthday ;) and I haven't fangirled when he tweeted me twice and when I went to a album signing ;)

I can't believe how much I've learnt on here, really opened my eyes but I think Pet shops should sell bigger hutches because if they sell them people will think it suitable, like myself.

Oh, I'm a MASSIVE Olly Murs fan. I'm 25, nearly 26. You would think I'm 16 the way I go on. Totally didn't ask my mum for a Olly Murs t-shirt for my birthday ;) and I haven't fangirled when he tweeted me twice and when I went to a album signing ;)

I can't believe how much I've learnt on here, really opened my eyes but I think Pet shops should sell bigger hutches because if they sell them people will think it suitable, like myself.

Ahhh I see! That makes sense now! I also have both his albums :)

Are they going to be living separately then? Just thinking that they are coming from a breeder so will be young and not yet neutered. You will have to split them when they are about 3/4 months old so there's no accidental babies. :shock: Are you just going to split the hutch? Just thinking you will need to think about about incorporating separate places for them to live into your set up.

Apart from this, I think it looks fine as long as they have the run attached some way. :) Run arounds looks really good, and I always think it looks so fun! :lol: Are the buns already outside? If they are coming from an indoor home then I'm not sure if it's too late to put them outside...I'm not sure about this, though.

Are they going to be living separately then? Just thinking that they are coming from a breeder so will be young and not yet neutered. You will have to split them when they are about 3/4 months old so there's no accidental babies. :shock: Are you just going to split the hutch? Just thinking you will need to think about about incorporating separate places for them to live into your set up.

Apart from this, I think it looks fine as long as they have the run attached some way. :) Run arounds looks really good, and I always think it looks so fun! :lol: Are the buns already outside? If they are coming from an indoor home then I'm not sure if it's too late to put them outside...I'm not sure about this, though.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Separate them but once I'm home from work I will get them out together and keep my eye on them. :) I want to keep them together as much as I can I don't want them to lose their bond, if that can happen?

One currently lives in a shed with hutches in and the other lives in a hutch outside with other bunnies. I'm sure they will be ok? I will make sure they are warm and comfy :) I will give them a free run when I'm home from work in our spare room. If it was up to me I would make the whole spare room bunny proof and keep them indoors but my OH won't have it! Mean he is! :?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Separate them but once I'm home from work I will get them out together and keep my eye on them. :) I want to keep them together as much as I can I don't want them to lose their bond, if that can happen?

One currently lives in a shed with hutches in and the other lives in a hutch outside with other bunnies. I'm sure they will be ok? I will make sure they are warm and comfy :) I will give them a free run when I'm home from work in our spare room. If it was up to me I would make the whole spare room bunny proof and keep them indoors but my OH won't have it! Mean he is! :?

If it was me, I wouldn't put them together and separate again. I would just let them see each other and interact through the mesh/separator, especially if they aren't already living together. That's only what I would do, others might do it differently, but I don't think it's worth risking them fight or mating.

Don't bring them indoors and then put them back out. Rabbits are very sensitive to big temperature differences and bringing them in to the warm and putting them out in the cold can cause respiratory problems. It doesn't matter much in the Summer but it's getting cold now, and I'd say it's too cold outside to bring them in, unless you had a room that was the same temp as outside.

I would have just got a pair of neutered rescue buns, no faffing about with separating them and getting them neutered and bonding them lol. Each to their own, though. :) I hope that you have researched the breeder thoroughly and asked all relevant questions about genetics and health etc. Good luck with them! :thumb:

If it was me, I wouldn't put them together and separate again. I would just let them see each other and interact through the mesh/separator, especially if they aren't already living together. That's only what I would do, others might do it differently, but I don't think it's worth risking them fight or mating.

Don't bring them indoors and then put them back out. Rabbits are very sensitive to big temperature differences and bringing them in to the warm and putting them out in the cold can cause respiratory problems. It doesn't matter much in the Summer but it's getting cold now, and I'd say it's too cold outside to bring them in, unless you had a room that was the same temp as outside.

I would have just got a pair of neutered rescue buns, no faffing about with separating them and getting them neutered and bonding them lol. Each to their own, though. :) I hope that you have researched the breeder thoroughly and asked all relevant questions about genetics and health etc. Good luck with them! :thumb:

Thanks for the info :D I think your right, I wouldn't want them to lose the bond, I wasn't sure if that could happen or not so appreciate the advice. :D

I'm hoping, in a few years I could extend my hutch and rabbit accomodation to consider getting some rescue buns in the future.

Thanks for the info :D I think your right, I wouldn't want them to lose the bond, I wasn't sure if that could happen or not so appreciate the advice. :D

I'm hoping, in a few years I could extend my hutch and rabbit accomodation to consider getting some rescue buns in the future.

:thumb: I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to their bond. Hopefully there will be no problems with them!

Piccies are a must when you get them. :D

:thumb: I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to their bond. Hopefully there will be no problems with them!

Piccies are a must when you get them. :D

Totally, I wouldn't want them fighting! :(

I have never owned a outside hutch before, might be a daft question but do people generally put non slip lino at the bottom so it's easier to clean? Advice would be appreciate about a general set up of the inside :)

Oh yes, I will! Can't wait to show my beauties off!:love:

Totally, I wouldn't want them fighting! :(

I have never owned a outside hutch before, might be a daft question but do people generally put non slip lino at the bottom so it's easier to clean? Advice would be appreciate about a general set up of the inside :)

Oh yes, I will! Can't wait to show my beauties off!:love:

I don't use hutches but I have recently acquired a third bun and she is being kept outside in a little playhouse. If I did have a hutch, then I don't know what I would do. In a 5ft hutch I think you'd struggle to fit a litter tray in, and obviously if they don't have a litter tray you would need something absorbent for them to live on. Having said that, I would probably be more likely to lino the floor to stop the wood from rotting where they pee if they don't have a litter tray.
I would then cover the floor in megazorb and hay so that it's nice and absorbent but they wouldn't be sat in the wet because of the hay. You could use towels covered in hay, but it means you'd end up with a lot of washing.

My playhouse is just linoed with those sticky tiles you can get from the pound shop. I then have towels places about for her to sit on and a shelf with just towels on. She has a litter tray in one corner and various toys and tubes. Bear in mind that I found this bunny and my set up was shoved together rather quickly lol. It is also (hopefully) going to be temporary as I plan on trying to bond her to my two and making a trio. My pair live indoors.

Somebody else will probably be able to give you better advice on what to put inside your hutches. :)

I don't use hutches but I have recently acquired a third bun and she is being kept outside in a little playhouse. If I did have a hutch, then I don't know what I would do. In a 5ft hutch I think you'd struggle to fit a litter tray in, and obviously if they don't have a litter tray you would need something absorbent for them to live on. Having said that, I would probably be more likely to lino the floor to stop the wood from rotting where they pee if they don't have a litter tray.
I would then cover the floor in megazorb and hay so that it's nice and absorbent but they wouldn't be sat in the wet because of the hay. You could use towels covered in hay, but it means you'd end up with a lot of washing.

My playhouse is just linoed with those sticky tiles you can get from the pound shop. I then have towels places about for her to sit on and a shelf with just towels on. She has a litter tray in one corner and various toys and tubes. Bear in mind that I found this bunny and my set up was shoved together rather quickly lol. It is also (hopefully) going to be temporary as I plan on trying to bond her to my two and making a trio. My pair live indoors.

Somebody else will probably be able to give you better advice on what to put inside your hutches. :)

Thank you again :)

If someone could help me with a hutch inside set up that would be fab :wave:

EDIT - Where can I get some Mega Zorb? Only one listing on eBay and its collection only...

Last edited:
Thank you again :)

If someone could help me with a hutch inside set up that would be fab :wave:

EDIT - Where can I get some Mega Zorb? Only one listing on eBay and its collection only...

You can get Megazorb from GJW Titmuss.. unfortunately their delivery charges are quite high and the site I used to order from disappeared :? Totally up to you but you might prefer Fitch - works out cheaper and it's not dusty, whereas the newer bags of megazorb irritated some of my bunnies noses :(

I line hutches with lino as protects the wood and makes cleaning so much easier and you can just spray and wipe down. You can put some newspaper down on top but some bunnies seem to treat it as dinner :roll: I only use Fitch in litter trays, plus lots of baled hay everywhere else and in winter a nest area filled with straw for warmth.

I really like the look of your hutch. Where did you get it? I would like something similar for my guinea pigs.

Back