• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally bonded!

I am so happy with their bonding. It is definitely the right thing to do for Mischief. Well both of them actually. I feel they have a lovely home here together full of love [emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

They look lovely!

It is hard balancing two sets of needs. Flopsy used to need more than Primrose but she was a little piggy and ate everything so quickly he didn't get much chance.

Feeding them nuggets separately did the job wonderfully.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
They do don't they! [emoji173]

I'm glad you say that. I just hope it will help him put on the weight x

Wow, Lillabelle is a fast eater! That makes sense that he's lost weight if she's been eating his after she's finished her own and he's taking a break after less than half his pellets. Has he always taken a while to eat his pellets, where he stops before he's eaten them all? Just wondering in case it's a new thing and he might have some dental trouble. Hopefully that's all it is, though, that Lillabelle has been eating Mischief's food, because that's easy to fix by staying with them as they eat and making sure they both (only) eat their own food. :) Giving them their veggies that way sounds like a good idea, too, if you can keep Lillabelle from eating Mischief's food. Otherwise feeding them separately might work better, but, yes, if you can just let them eat next to each other that would be better since they're still bonding, I agree. It's really understandable that you've been trying to give Mischief not too many pellets and Lillabelle extra, since he was a bit too heavy and she's growing. Accidentally giving a bunny too few pellets in a difficult situation like that is easily done, so please don't be too hard on yourself!

Also, the photos you posted just now and last night are so wonderful. :love: Mischief has such a fluffy belly! I love the photos of him playing with his ball. :love: And Lillabelle looks so dainty. :love: They're so cute, cuddling together. :love:
Thank you so much for your help through this. I was so upset that I missed this but you have helped me feel a bit less guilty lol.

Mischief has always taken ages eating his pellets. I used to feed him a quarter of pellets twice in 24 hours and some days he had not finished the last lot!

They are so cute together! I love them so much. His tummy is sooooo fluffy! It surprises me that it does not change even through a moult. I would expect him to lose it as it surely makes him hot.

By the way I did another wet hand brush and hardly any fur is coming out so he is still part way through moult. It is a great way to test whether he needs a brush actually!

Thank you so much for your support [emoji175]

I just hope we have worked out why he has lost weight recently.

How long do I have to monitor this before I start to see him put on weight again? Bearing in mind I only have scales that show 0.1kgs so I will not see slight changes.

I do not want to leave it to long before taking him to a vet if he is not gaining weight but he hates the vet so much it could also make things worse.

Would Monday be too soon to see weight gain maybe? Should I leave it a few days? Thanks for everyone's support xx

I just hope we have worked out why he has lost weight recently.

How long do I have to monitor this before I start to see him put on weight again? Bearing in mind I only have scales that show 0.1kgs so I will not see slight changes.

I do not want to leave it to long before taking him to a vet if he is not gaining weight but he hates the vet so much it could also make things worse.

Would Monday be too soon to see weight gain maybe? Should I leave it a few days? Thanks for everyone's support xx

I like to put plans re dietary changes etc in place for a week before I get the scales out, obv you'll be monitoring him closely anyway & keeping an eye on his poops & how he feels

loving seeing the photos of you snuggly pair .

Thank you that is a help. I will wait a week then before checking his weight.

And yes I will monitor him for other changes like poops and how he is behaving generally.

Thank you x

Also Lillabelle weight is now 3.1kgs. She was 2.6 kgs on 21st July so she has gained a whole 0.5kgs in a month! Her weight feels pretty much perfect actually so at least she is doing well and no concerns [emoji3]

Thank you so much for your help through this. I was so upset that I missed this but you have helped me feel a bit less guilty lol.

Mischief has always taken ages eating his pellets. I used to feed him a quarter of pellets twice in 24 hours and some days he had not finished the last lot!

They are so cute together! I love them so much. His tummy is sooooo fluffy! It surprises me that it does not change even through a moult. I would expect him to lose it as it surely makes him hot.

By the way I did another wet hand brush and hardly any fur is coming out so he is still part way through moult. It is a great way to test whether he needs a brush actually!

Thank you so much for your support [emoji175]

Aw, I'm glad I could help. I think Mischief might need to learn to eat his pellets a bit faster now that he has a very hungry friend. ;):lol: Having a super fluffy belly does seem like it would make him hot in summer, yes! I would've thought it'd change when he's moulting, too. And it's good you're finding the wet hand brushing helpful. Also, I think j&b's idea to give him a week before you check his weight is a good one. A week would be enough time for him to gain some weight, I think! And, gosh, Lillabelle is growing so fast! She'll be bigger than Mischief in no time!

Aw, I'm glad I could help. I think Mischief might need to learn to eat his pellets a bit faster now that he has a very hungry friend. ;)[emoji38] Having a super fluffy belly does seem like it would make him hot in summer, yes! I would've thought it'd change when he's moulting, too. And it's good you're finding the wet hand brushing helpful. Also, I think j&b's idea to give him a week before you check his weight is a good one. A week would be enough time for him to gain some weight, I think! And, gosh, Lillabelle is growing so fast! She'll be bigger than Mischief in no time!
I think I may always have to feed them seperately actually. With pellets at least! I have been watching them closely and Lillabelle goes under his chin when he is eating and budges her way in! Poor Mischief is such a sweet bunny and just hangs back when she does this [emoji173]

The only time he gets possessive over food is with a Science Selective Loop. He runs off with his and she runs the other direction! [emoji38]

I have upped his pellets quite a bit just over this weekend to just over an eggcupful twice a day to give him a headstart on putting on some weight. I have also added a small handful of alfafa each to their bowls. I wasn't feeding them this before as thought Mischief would get too fat but it is a good for weight gain plus Lillabelle should be eating it anyway as she is young.

I am dropping his pellets back down again to an eggcupful a day from tomorrow. He was on a third of an eggcupful of Excel twice a day before. I'm not sure how this would compare to Junior Science Selective. I am hoping I'm not overfeeding him!

I just feel that I need to give him a diet that should definitely make him gain weight so that after a week I should see a noticeable weight gain. Then I can adjust his diet accordingly. If I see no weight gain at next weigh in I will be booking an urgent vet appointment. I'm really hoping that won't be the case though!

Yes Lillabelle is growing fast! She is still very sleek at the moment and when she starts to fill out she will be a big bunny that's for sure! xx

They are right little pickles now they are in our bedroom. They are free roaming in this room quite happily. They keep jumping on the bed and feels like we are being accosted when they both come up to you at once! Two is definitely harder to control but we are having a lot of fun with them!

We are trying to keep them in here for now as I believe I should increase their space slowly.
However this is not as easy as we would like! Lillabelle keeps escaping if we forget to shut the door properly. She then zooms up and down our hallway and also pushes open our bathroom/lounge doors if we don't shut them tight. We have to be on the ball now [emoji38]

Also Mischief has learnt how to knock the puppy pen door off it's hinges with his head! I put them in the puppy pen last night to make sure they are safe and they kept escaping. We have had to put velcro ties on the door to attach it to the pen now.

Is this a common thing with puppy pens or is ours just a bad design? This one has a door frame with a swing door that can be removed by taking it off it's hinges. I just can't see how they can hold puppies like labradors safely if a rabbit can knock the door off it's hinges! [emoji38]

It is so peaceful hearing them both munching hay happily at night and so sweet watching them lie together. They look as if they have been together for ages. We couldn't have expected a happier start for them [emoji173]

I used to use a dog pen to Cookie. Cookie tortured us a lot at night in the dog pen when she was 5-6 months old. Then we got to the point of going crazy because we couldn't handle Cookie. :D Cookie wasn't as big as Mischief so he didn't break the door but he did everything to break it. Cookie nudged the entire pen from side to side with his nose, making noise all night long banging the pen up and down with his teeth. We tried to fix the pencil by placing a cupboard next to Cookie's pencil so that we could sleep the last night, we put a sheet around the pencil so that she wouldn't shake the pencil with his teeth, he even managed to pull that sheet out with his teeth. Then we bought and tied pavers around the pen, we said that even if Cookie chews with his teeth, he can't make a
noise by hitting the pen, he still did. :D

Last time we couldn't cope with these, we bought a fabric pet park. He cannot chew and move because he is completely closed and fixed. Now I don't have this problem because it is free in the night room, but when we wanted to sleep in the air-conditioned room last month, when I put it in the pet park, it didn't comfortable because I was in the room and started to jump out of the pet park all the time. He always wanted to go out when he saw me, that's a constant problem. That's why I bought a net cover for the last pet park as a precaution, now it is always on the side as an emergency measure, because maybe if something happens, I need to keep it in the pet park urgently.

I am sharing pictures of pet park

https://images.app.goo.gl/DE2qgGefJPiDoeD37
https://images.app.goo.gl/VDytt3CkKrYsgRkR8
https://images.app.goo.gl/zBuxJFNrgTRqeZkr6

They are right little pickles now they are in our bedroom. They are free roaming in this room quite happily. They keep jumping on the bed and feels like we are being accosted when they both come up to you at once! Two is definitely harder to control but we are having a lot of fun with them!

We are trying to keep them in here for now as I believe I should increase their space slowly.
However this is not as easy as we would like! Lillabelle keeps escaping if we forget to shut the door properly. She then zooms up and down our hallway and also pushes open our bathroom/lounge doors if we don't shut them tight. We have to be on the ball now [emoji38]

Also Mischief has learnt how to knock the puppy pen door off it's hinges with his head! I put them in the puppy pen last night to make sure they are safe and they kept escaping. We have had to put velcro ties on the door to attach it to the pen now.

Is this a common thing with puppy pens or is ours just a bad design? This one has a door frame with a swing door that can be removed by taking it off it's hinges. I just can't see how they can hold puppies like labradors safely if a rabbit can knock the door off it's hinges! [emoji38]

It is so peaceful hearing them both munching hay happily at night and so sweet watching them lie together. They look as if they have been together for ages. We couldn't have expected a happier start for them [emoji173]

You could use some cable ties if it needs strengthening up or attaching to anything else :thumb:

I used to use a dog pen to Cookie. Cookie tortured us a lot at night in the dog pen when she was 5-6 months old. Then we got to the point of going crazy because we couldn't handle Cookie. :D Cookie wasn't as big as Mischief so he didn't break the door but he did everything to break it. Cookie nudged the entire pen from side to side with his nose, making noise all night long banging the pen up and down with his teeth. We tried to fix the pencil by placing a cupboard next to Cookie's pencil so that we could sleep the last night, we put a sheet around the pencil so that she wouldn't shake the pencil with his teeth, he even managed to pull that sheet out with his teeth. Then we bought and tied pavers around the pen, we said that even if Cookie chews with his teeth, he can't make a

Last time we couldn't cope with these, we bought a fabric pet park. He cannot chew and move because he is completely closed and fixed. Now I don't have this problem because it is free in the night room, but when we wanted to sleep in the air-conditioned room last month, when I put it in the pet park, it didn't comfortable because I was in the room and started to jump out of the pet park all the time. He always wanted to go out when he saw me, that's a constant problem. That's why I bought a net cover for the last pet park as a precaution, now it is always on the side as an emergency measure, because maybe if something happens, I need to keep it in the pet park urgently.

You’ve been very lucky that he hasn't chewed out of that! Someone on here had a rabbit get out from a pen like that by chewing through it in minutes. Fabric carriers and pens aren’t recommended for bunnies.

I think I may always have to feed them seperately actually. With pellets at least! I have been watching them closely and Lillabelle goes under his chin when he is eating and budges her way in! Poor Mischief is such a sweet bunny and just hangs back when she does this [emoji173]

The only time he gets possessive over food is with a Science Selective Loop. He runs off with his and she runs the other direction! [emoji38]

I have upped his pellets quite a bit just over this weekend to just over an eggcupful twice a day to give him a headstart on putting on some weight. I have also added a small handful of alfafa each to their bowls. I wasn't feeding them this before as thought Mischief would get too fat but it is a good for weight gain plus Lillabelle should be eating it anyway as she is young.

I am dropping his pellets back down again to an eggcupful a day from tomorrow. He was on a third of an eggcupful of Excel twice a day before. I'm not sure how this would compare to Junior Science Selective. I am hoping I'm not overfeeding him!

I just feel that I need to give him a diet that should definitely make him gain weight so that after a week I should see a noticeable weight gain. Then I can adjust his diet accordingly. If I see no weight gain at next weigh in I will be booking an urgent vet appointment. I'm really hoping that won't be the case though!

Yes Lillabelle is growing fast! She is still very sleek at the moment and when she starts to fill out she will be a big bunny that's for sure! xx

Aw, Mischief sounds so sweet and gentle. :love: Feeding them separately sounds like the best solution to Lillabelle stealing his food! He must really like those Science Selectice Loops, though. :lol:

I hope Mischief's diet changes are helping him gain weight now, and that you can be reassured when you weigh him next time. If it does turn out you're giving him too much now and he's a little too heavy again, you can always just lower his amount of pellets a bit again. It can be hard to find the right amount that will keep their weight stable! It's such an individual thing for each bunny. I think it would be a good idea to take him to a vet if you don't see any weight gain next time, though, yes. But hopefully it'll be fixed by giving him more food. :)

It sounds like Mischief and Lillabelle have figured out how to get past doors. :lol: There's no stopping them now. :lol: That pen does sound badly designed if Mischief can knock the door off its hinges like that!

I'm glad you've been enjoying listening to them munching hay and watching them lie together. :love: Their bonding has gone so well. :love:

Mischief would have eaten through the wall of a fabric pet pen in a night I think! [emoji38] Doesn't Cookie chew his?

We got an extra extra thick puppy pen so they can't move the sides so much as it is so solid. But the door is useless! We now have velcro on the bottom to hold it in place but I now worry that they could chew the velcro! [emoji53] It is a temporary fix until we work something out xx

You could use some cable ties if it needs strengthening up or attaching to anything else :thumb:
We have cable ties but they are hard to undo. Last night I put the velcro on the door and said goodnight to them and then Lillabelle took the lid off the litter tray and they were bashing it about. So I went in and fixed that and put the velcro back on.

Then Mischief tipped their big tray of hay upside down and they couldn't get to the hay. And I had to go in again. Untie the velcro. Do up the velcro!

I think cable ties could work on the door hinges but he could still knock the door out. I'm not sure. I will look at it again. Thank you xx

You’ve been very lucky that he hasn't chewed out of that! Someone on here had a rabbit get out from a pen like that by chewing through it in minutes. Fabric carriers and pens aren’t recommended for bunnies.

Mischief would have eaten through the wall of a fabric pet pen in a night I think! [emoji38] Doesn't Cookie chew his?

We got an extra extra thick puppy pen so they can't move the sides so much as it is so solid. But the door is useless! We now have velcro on the bottom to hold it in place but I now worry that they could chew the velcro! [emoji53] It is a temporary fix until we work something out xx

No, the fabric is too stretchy. He can't take it in his mouth because the fabric is too stretchy. Plus the inside is flat and stretchy, no ridge fabric on any edge so he can't chew. Inside, there are no protrusions or edges for him to chew on. like a straight wall

Aw, Mischief sounds so sweet and gentle. :love: Feeding them separately sounds like the best solution to Lillabelle stealing his food! He must really like those Science Selectice Loops, though. [emoji38]

I hope Mischief's diet changes are helping him gain weight now, and that you can be reassured when you weigh him next time. If it does turn out you're giving him too much now and he's a little too heavy again, you can always just lower his amount of pellets a bit again. It can be hard to find the right amount that will keep their weight stable! It's such an individual thing for each bunny. I think it would be a good idea to take him to a vet if you don't see any weight gain next time, though, yes. But hopefully it'll be fixed by giving him more food. :)

It sounds like Mischief and Lillabelle have figured out how to get past doors. [emoji38] There's no stopping them now. [emoji38] That pen does sound badly designed if Mischief can knock the door off its hinges like that!

I'm glad you've been enjoying listening to them munching hay and watching them lie together. :love: Their bonding has gone so well. :love:
Mischief is, in the main, gentle yes! However this morning I gave them pieces of long kale (Cavolo Nero Cabbage) and they were arguing over this one piece of kale literally both hanging off it with their teeth! Mischief yanked it off Lillabelle and turned his back in her though so he won for once! I think he is learning now. The funny thing is there were 5 more pieces of kale there! I had split each piece up into 2 or 3 though. They didn't have 6 whole pieces! [emoji44]

I do keep a close eye on them eating veggies at the moment as they are most likely going to argue with these (or treats) if anything. Touch wood it does seem that they are working it out between them well though. I don't know when I will feel totally able to relax about this but I am not as vigilant now as they are seeming fine. I guess as the days go by I will relax more and more [emoji4]

Yes they do seem so happy together. They remind me of me and my OH. A happy old married couple. That has to be a good thing [emoji173]

Mischief does feel a little like he is gaining weight. He is certainly eating enough! They are polishing off all the food so quickly. Veggies go in minutes. I love watching them eat veggies together. It is definitely one of my favourite past times. Rabbits are so fascinating when they eat. How they eat along one side of the long kale and then down the other then polish off the middle. Lillabelle seems to argue with hers though trying to control it. Mischief is a master at eating veggies now and does it with ease [emoji38]

I have a notebook which I use to note the weights down but it has not been every week. Only if I saw a change would I weigh Mischief. After reading your post (and this one on weight loss) I will be definitely weigh them weekly so I can monitor their health through this.

I feel I learn every day with bunnies and RU is so educational aswell as putting the bunnies first and foremost. This is what I love about RU. I have been on other sites and am just shocked at their lack of knowledge and feel sometimes the buns suffer and feel so helpless. RU is 100% for the bunnies first and speaks out for them [emoji173]

I know I make mistakes still however I hope they are smaller ones as I learn more. Having two bunnies has meant learning new things as have to learn how they can live in harmony and still cater for their different personalites and needs. I still have lots to learn though but that is half the fun of having bunnies on your life [emoji178]

Last edited:
No, the fabric is too stretchy. He can't take it in his mouth because the fabric is too stretchy. Plus the inside is flat and stretchy, no ridge fabric on any edge so he can't chew. Inside, there are no protrusions or edges for him to chew on. like a straight wall
I'm sure Mischief would have worked out how to chew it. He chews everything! That is why I give him chew balls. For something else to chew. He also has apple stucks, dandelion root (but that only lasts minutes), fir cones, string type toys , wooden chew toys, cardboard and of course lots of hay! But still he chews.

Mischief does not like to be cooped up as he has been free roam so long aswell. Even with Lillabelle in there he still chews the blanket and I pick up a handful of blanket bits rach time I go in there. I am at a loss.

He did have a hard floor to stop him chewing before but then I noticed his hocks were losing fur and read on the forum about lots of soft coverings on the floor.

They were not eating hay yesterday. We had it in a plastic tray by the side of the puppy pen but they ignored it. So I put the hay on a tray that was on the bottom of her old puppy crate and put the tray in the middle of the pen right on top of where he chews the blanket. Finally he has stopped and is eating more hay again aswell. They make lots of mess but at least they are happy now.

If the puppy pen suits Cookie and he does not chew it I guess that is fine. As long as you do not use it to keep him safe as he could still escape when you are not home or asleep. You do have to work out what suits your actual bunny (and your life) though don't you. Now you can get sleep! [emoji38] xxx

Back