• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally bonded!

I had my scales set wrong when I weighed Mischief. He has lost 0.5kgs since last weigh in which is before his moulting. Do bunnies lose much weight during a moult usually?

He feels a little bony on his bottom and hips but he still has a tummy. He is perhaps a bit skinnier than I would like. He seems to have lost weight all of a sudden but it could be loss of fur in that area that makes him seem so skinny. However he was a little heavy before at 5.9kgs. He is now 5.2kgs. I think his ideal weight is approx 5.5kgs so he has lost a fair bit of weight.

I am going to wean him back on to Excel Adult nuggets again and will feed them seperately so I can monitor what he eats in a 24 hour period with the pellets.

I am a little anxious as to why he has lost weight though so I will be monitorong him very closely in case he needs to see a vet. I'm hoping feeding him seperately will solve the weight loss problem.

I just wonder if there is anything here I am missing? Is it normal for bunnies to lose weight when moulting or possibly when bonding new bunnies?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sorry he has lost weight after all. I don't think bunnies lose much weight when they're moulting? I've never noticed it with Sophie or Casper, at least. It sounds like a good idea to feed them their nuggets seperately to make sure he eats all of them. I wonder if it would be a better idea to keep him on the Junior nuggets since they probably have more protein than the Excel Adult ones and will help him more to gain weight? If you do put him back on Excel, do it slowly, yes. Feeding him more pellets might be helpful, too, yes, though as he was previously a bit too heavy, maybe feed him only a little more?

I'm not sure why he could've lost weight. Being bonded is stressful, of course, so maybe that's why? Or it could be his teeth, or some health problem. I would've thought that eating more veggies and less hay would actually make him gain weight, as veggies usually have more calories than hay, I think. Feeding the veggies seperately sounds like a good idea, too, though, so you can eat least see how much he's eating.

Edit: Oh, you edited your post while I was replying, heh.

I feel really guilty as I have not noticed his weight loss really. I thought he felt slimmer but put it down to his moult. I usually handle him so much and I have been taking a big step back to let them bond together.

Now I see he has suddenly lost it quickly but he has been eating loads. I sit and watch them literally eat nonstop. I don't understand how I have missed this! Now I am worrying that he is ok [emoji22]

Oh, I'm sorry he has lost weight after all. I don't think bunnies lose much weight when they're moulting? I've never noticed it with Sophie or Casper, at least. It sounds like a good idea to feed them their nuggets seperately to make sure he eats all of them. I wonder if it would be a better idea to keep him on the Junior nuggets since they probably have more protein than the Excel Adult ones and will help him more to gain weight? If you do put him back on Excel, do it slowly, yes. Feeding him more pellets might be helpful, too, yes, though as he was previously a bit too heavy, maybe feed him only a little more?

I'm not sure why he could've lost weight. Being bonded is stressful, of course, so maybe that's why? Or it could be his teeth, or some health problem. I would've thought that eating more veggies and less hay would actually make him gain weight, as veggies usually have more calories than hay, I think. Feeding the veggies seperately sounds like a good idea, too, though, so you can eat least see how much he's eating.

Edit: Oh, you edited your post while I was replying, heh.
Oh sorry I did edit my post yes! I felt I was saying stuff that was kind of obvious if you think it through!

I did google since and yes, google also says bunnies don't really lose weight through a moult.

I have somehow got muddled though. I thought veggies had little calories for bunnies and feeding them too many veggies would fill them up and stop them eating the more nutritious hay.

Maybe I am half right in that hay is more nutritious and so assumed it is more fattening? So veggies are more fattening then! Ok that's good. Mischief loves his veggies.

Of course yes that makes sense to keep Mischief on the junior food aswell. I knew that! I don't know what I'm thinking!! Thank you for that [emoji175]

Did you see the new photos of them? I did the wet hand brush over him and lots of fur came off him. He is losing fur in funny patches so he looks really scruffy but his fur is still not ready to come off yet. It does look a bit odd though. However I love the photos of him anyway! [emoji173]

Last edited:
I am actually quite worried why he is losing weight now especially as he is eating fine as far as I can see. He is definitely eating his veggies/herbs and has eaten a few pellets.

He is also running about and coming to me now for cuddles and seems happy lying with Lillabelle aswell. It's a bit of a mystery! I will keep a close eye on him and will definitely take him to the vets if I have further concerns.

Aw, it's really understandable that with the bonding you didn't notice as quickly as you normally would, since you haven't been handling him much. And bunnies do look slimmer when they lose hair, so it makes sense that you thought he seemed slimmer because of his moult. IM told me a few days ago that weight loss starts being a concern when it's unexplained and is 10% of their normal body weight, so if I'm counting right, he's lost just below 10%? You can always call your vet (on Monday probably, unless they're open in the weekend) and ask what they think, since you're worried? I'm sorry. Sophie's lost weight, too, even though she eats just fine, so I know how worrying it can be.

Now I'm doubting what I said, and maybe you're right and hay does have more calories than veggies! I just figured that since they eat so much hay, it probably doesn't have many calories or they'd get really fat! I think it depends on the hay, too. I know alfalfa hay can be fattening...

I'm glad he's running around and coming for cuddles and happily cuddling with Lillabelle, too. It's good that he doesn't seem unwell, at least. I'll send him lots of weight gaining vibes!

Aw, it's really understandable that with the bonding you didn't notice as quickly as you normally would, since you haven't been handling him much. And bunnies do look slimmer when they lose hair, so it makes sense that you thought he seemed slimmer because of his moult. IM told me a few days ago that weight loss starts being a concern when it's unexplained and is 10% of their normal body weight, so if I'm counting right, he's lost just below 10%? You can always call your vet (on Monday probably, unless they're open in the weekend) and ask what they think, since you're worried? I'm sorry. Sophie's lost weight, too, even though she eats just fine, so I know how worrying it can be.

Now I'm doubting what I said, and maybe you're right and hay does have more calories than veggies! I just figured that since they eat so much hay, it probably doesn't have many calories or they'd get really fat! I think it depends on the hay, too. I know alfalfa hay can be fattening...

I'm glad he's running around and coming for cuddles and happily cuddling with Lillabelle, too. It's good that he doesn't seem unwell, at least. I'll send him lots of weight gaining vibes!
Thank you for your support. It really helps as I am now worrying about him. It does concern me now that you say about the 10% weight loss if it is unexplained!

I did just do a test on them though. I gave them half an eggcupful of junior Science Selective in their own seperate bowls so they ate sitting next to each other so that they had the same environment aswell.

Lillabelle nearly finished hers in about 5 minutes. Mischief had stopped eating after eating less than half the amount she did. So that means she eats more than him by twice the amount and quicker! Plus he gets full before her and stops eating sooner.

So on that basis she could well be eating all the food before he can get enough. Which is good news of sorts as it could mean Mischief missed out on the nuggets.

I was trying to be mindful not to overfeed Mischief so didn't scatter too much feed at once. So in fact I may have underfed him instead! I feel so guilty that this has happened! I was so worried he may get fat and I kept giving a little extra pile to Lillabelle to make sure she got enough as she is a baby!

I feel so so guilty for not seeing this! [emoji22] xx

Oh, you're totally right, I'm sorry! I just looked in one of my books and hay does have more calories than veggies!
Right so then I need to cut the veggies down aswell then. They get a good size dish of veggies twice a day to share. Mischief is probably also getting too full on veggies to eat the hay which will help condition.

Perhaps I should feed them their veggies next to each other aswell then. And monitor what they eat more closely.

I think as she is a baby she is eating more than Mischief. It will be better to feed them seperately. But they sit eating next to each other so I may not have to split them up to feed them which would be better for their bonding xx

A few more pix of them together [emoji178]
0d3f91227fb9ed27e8539d780bd96037.jpg
560ca1bb7ddeceb0520ea954e7d3415f.jpg
765eeb0c1e8b3755790a6514e0eff2a0.jpg

I did upload some other photos last night before the conversation on his weight loss for those who are interested [emoji4]

I realise they could have been missed due to the number of posts afterwards [emoji6]

They look lovely!

It is hard balancing two sets of needs. Flopsy used to need more than Primrose but she was a little piggy and ate everything so quickly he didn't get much chance.

Feeding them nuggets separately did the job wonderfully.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you for your support. It really helps as I am now worrying about him. It does concern me now that you say about the 10% weight loss if it is unexplained!

I did just do a test on them though. I gave them half an eggcupful of junior Science Selective in their own seperate bowls so they ate sitting next to each other so that they had the same environment aswell.

Lillabelle nearly finished hers in about 5 minutes. Mischief had stopped eating after eating less than half the amount she did. So that means she eats more than him by twice the amount and quicker! Plus he gets full before her and stops eating sooner.

So on that basis she could well be eating all the food before he can get enough. Which is good news of sorts as it could mean Mischief missed out on the nuggets.

I was trying to be mindful not to overfeed Mischief so didn't scatter too much feed at once. So in fact I may have underfed him instead! I feel so guilty that this has happened! I was so worried he may get fat and I kept giving a little extra pile to Lillabelle to make sure she got enough as she is a baby!

I feel so so guilty for not seeing this! [emoji22] xx

Wow, Lillabelle is a fast eater! That makes sense that he's lost weight if she's been eating his after she's finished her own and he's taking a break after less than half his pellets. Has he always taken a while to eat his pellets, where he stops before he's eaten them all? Just wondering in case it's a new thing and he might have some dental trouble. Hopefully that's all it is, though, that Lillabelle has been eating Mischief's food, because that's easy to fix by staying with them as they eat and making sure they both (only) eat their own food. :) Giving them their veggies that way sounds like a good idea, too, if you can keep Lillabelle from eating Mischief's food. Otherwise feeding them separately might work better, but, yes, if you can just let them eat next to each other that would be better since they're still bonding, I agree. It's really understandable that you've been trying to give Mischief not too many pellets and Lillabelle extra, since he was a bit too heavy and she's growing. Accidentally giving a bunny too few pellets in a difficult situation like that is easily done, so please don't be too hard on yourself!

Also, the photos you posted just now and last night are so wonderful. :love: Mischief has such a fluffy belly! I love the photos of him playing with his ball. :love: And Lillabelle looks so dainty. :love: They're so cute, cuddling together. :love:

Lovely pics :love: They look as though they have been bonded for a lot longer than they have.
They are very close all the time. And this is since moving them into our bedroom and letting them have the run of the room! They are very settled. Unfortunately Lillabelle keeps getting out and letting herself into our bathroom the little minx! [emoji38]

Back