• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female to female behaviour

ellie5

Young Bun
Haylo:wave:
i have two rabbits, ruby and willow and they seem to be touching each others noses (or lips) and one rabbit keeps on humping (Ruby) and willow makes a funny noise and runs off but the thing is they are both females, and they do it public. its quite sweet... until i know that they're both girls. any advice?

Haylo:wave:
i have two rabbits, ruby and willow and they seem to be touching each others noses (or lips) and one rabbit keeps on humping (Ruby) and willow makes a funny noise and runs off but the thing is they are both females, and they do it public. its quite sweet... until i know that they're both girls. any advice?

I am just in the process of bonding two females (first time bonder) but from what I have read this is perfectly normal when bonding....I don't know if you are bonding yours now if they are already bonded or approaching maturity etc......but in my case its to do with sorting out who will be the dominant rabbit rather than copulation.

Hope this helps.

*hums* replied again instead of editing existing, oops!

Last edited:
If you are certain that they are both girls, it sounds to me as if they are reaching sexual maturity (are they unneutered?) and are starting to display their dominance to each other. It may look cute, but if nothing else has changed which could account for this behaviour (e.g. Introduction of new rabbits into the household) it is a sign that your rabbits are not very happy with each other I'm afraid.

I would strongly advice taking them along to a good bunny vet and getting them checked to ensure they are both girls, and getting them both booked in to be spayed as soon as possible. While it may look sweet, it is a classic sign of bunnies going through that teenage phase where they feel the need to assert dominance and it is highly likely to escalate into fights and a broken bond (not to mention injuries!). The best way to try and avoid this is to spay them ASAP so that they no longer feel the need to assert dominance and to hope that they settle down again before the humping and nose pressing (a demand for the other bun to groom them) turns into something vicious.

Good luck x x

If you are certain that they are both girls, it sounds to me as if they are reaching sexual maturity (are they unneutered?) and are starting to display their dominance to each other. It may look cute, but if nothing else has changed which could account for this behaviour (e.g. Introduction of new rabbits into the household) it is a sign that your rabbits are not very happy with each other I'm afraid.

I would strongly advice taking them along to a good bunny vet and getting them checked to ensure they are both girls, and getting them both booked in to be spayed as soon as possible. While it may look sweet, it is a classic sign of bunnies going through that teenage phase where they feel the need to assert dominance and it is highly likely to escalate into fights and a broken bond (not to mention injuries!). The best way to try and avoid this is to spay them ASAP so that they no longer feel the need to assert dominance and to hope that they settle down again before the humping and nose pressing (a demand for the other bun to groom them) turns into something vicious.

Good luck x x

Thankyou for the advice and no they are not neutered. Is neutering just an injection? Thankyou again.

Neutering /. Spaying is a operation performed by a rabbit savvy vet under GA and is essential for both sexes of bunnys :wave:

yes, quite a lot but it varies from vet to vet, so check with yours. you really need to get them sexed and possibly separated soon.

so u have to go to the vets?
does it cost money?

Mine cost about £80 I think. It costs more for girls than boys.

But its VITAL. The majority of female bunnies get uterine cancer if they arent neutered, never mind the fact that they won't continue to be friends if they aren't neutered!

Please get it done soon.

yes i'll get it done as soon as possible. i'll talk to the vets about it and see when they can do it. hopefully as soon as possible. thankyou for your help, i know what to do now.:D

Good luck - yes it will cost money but by the sound of the behaviour you are describing, if you don't do it soon, you could well be faced with having to spend even more money on vets bills to mend bunnies after a fight and on new accommodation to keep them separate, so I really would encourage you to get it done ASAP both in the hope that you can avoid a fight and retain a bond. Good luck x

yes i'll get it done as soon as possible. i'll talk to the vets about it and see when they can do it. hopefully as soon as possible. thankyou for your help, i know what to do now.:D

Perhaps you should do a little research into the vet care they will need. Make sure your vets know what they are doing before booking them in for their spay. They will also need to be vaccinated against VHD and myxomatosis. Feel free to ask on the forum about anything you are unsure of :)

thankyou all for the help:D, and i well go on the vets website to see what to do and when to do:thumb:. What vets would you guys recommend (if you're in England)?

Back