• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond Weakening or Less Stressed? (Recently Rehomed)

jrgb531

New Kit
I adopted a pair of bonded rabbits (M age 1.5 years, F age 3, both fixed) around a week and a half ago.

For the first week they were very close. As far as I'm aware, the female is dominant. The female would occasionally run in tight circles around the male while he sat still and didn't seem to mind, I saw him grooming her one time, they would cuddle laying side-by-side frequently, etc. She would sometimes eat his share of treats/veggies because he wouldn't try anything new and he didn't seem to care.

The past several days they haven't seemed as close. I haven't seen them laying side-by-side or grooming each other the last several days..maybe a week. They're still share hay and veggies nicely, but when they anticipate receiving treats/pellets they now /both/ start running in a circle chasing each other. I haven't seen any nipping or hair pulling, so I'm not sure if they're just both excited for the yummy stuff or if it could get worse over time and devolve into fighting. They didn't fight about it at all, but he did make an attempt to steal food from her mouth tonight. I'm not sure if they're just less stressed after adjusting to the new environment and are therefore not sticking to each other as closely or if this is the start of a problem with their hierarchy..

I didn't bond them myself - they were already bonded in their last home - and it's my first time having a pair of bunnies, so I'm new to this. Should I try some bonding techniques like encouraging grooming by putting food on their heads or letting them have a run in a new neutral location? I'd try patting both next to each other but the boy wasn't socialized when young (this is his third home, her second) and still won't accept pats. Or am I reading into things too much and should I just wait and see if anything happens?

Advice appreciated. Thank you!

I would leave them to it. Too much intervention will just upset them anyway. They will just be adjusting to their new home, new routine, new smells & sounds. Many rabbits don't like being petted. They are usually happier with just the company of another rabbit.

Well done for taking them on.

Hi welcome to the forum, to you and your bunnies. I agree with the above post, I would just leave them to it, and let them settle in their own time, especially as this is not their first home. As long as there is no fighting, and they are both eating and pooping, then hopefully they will just settle in their new home together :)

This all sounds pretty normal to me. Even when you put 2 pieces of veg in they will want the same piece :roll:

Back