• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feed choice dilemma

Tank's_Mum

Warren Scout
Advice please (all I seem to be saying these days! :lol:)

I'd like to choose a feed for both my bunnies which'll be optimum for them while they're so young. Saxon came to us on SS, so I'm seriously considering buying a much bigger bag than the one we were given by the rescue. Problem for me is that they don't seem to do a junior version. Alternatively, I'm also interested in Oxbow Bunny Basics 15/23, but it's primary ingredient is alfalfa and I've been advised (on here, I believe) to cut all alfalfa out of the bunnies' diets.

Any suggestions?

Obviously, the pellets are only supplementary - they have tons of hay (which they both love), quite a lot of fresh veg and the occassional "Naturals" treat. I intend to wean them both off pellets when they're 6 months :D

Thanks for you help.

can you get A&P that is what mine are on and they both love it :) i think it is £5-8 for a bit sack full it is high in fibre too :D not sure what the primary ingriedent is though :s

can you get A&P that is what mine are on and they both love it :) i think it is £5-8 for a bit sack full it is high in fibre too :D not sure what the primary ingriedent is though :s

Yeah, I can get A&P, but it's only got 12% protein which, I've been told, is fine for adults but far too little for juveniles :(

I was told A&P is 24% fiber, thats why I switched Caspian onto it from SS?

If you do get a big bag of SS check what recipe your small bag is.....the large sacks are only available in the new recipe which some rabbits wont eat.

SS is fine for youngsters. Jounior feeds are just higher in protein which is the same as feeding more of a normal pellet. Baby bunnies have done most of their growing by 4 months anyway. I don't see why babies need massively different diets to adults, after they're finished mum's milk they have the same diet as adults normally anyway.

Tam

Thanks Sooz, will do. Perhaps it's better to get small bags then and just be less economical?

SS is fine for youngsters. Jounior feeds are just higher in protein which is the same as feeding more of a normal pellet. Baby bunnies have done most of their growing by 4 months anyway. I don't see why babies need massively different diets to adults, after they're finished mum's milk they have the same diet as adults normally anyway.

Tam

I get what you're saying, but surely to get the protein percentage up you have to feed more pellets, thereby incurring the possibility of them either being overweight or just eating less hay, which isn't good?

This is what I'm taking my understanding from: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/young_buns.htm

I was under the impression rabbits take up to 8 months to mature sufficiently to move onto adult diets, and I'm sure I read on here somewhere that skulls aren't fully formed until 18 months (may've just dreamt that though :lol:). Now I'm even more confused :? :(

:wave: I feed mne the Oxbow Bunny Basics T which is for adults, don't know if this would be OK for your little ones but mine love it and it is hay based and high in fibre.

I agree with Tamsin.

I've never fed any rabbit a junior mix when they were small, I think that if you just feed them a few more pellets(maybe 5-10% extra) until they're about 6 months, they'll be fine.

I got Inky at 2 months old and he has grown into quite a robust bunny. To be honest, I think good quality food and plenty of good quality hay is more important then whether or not they're on junior pellets, so I wouldn't fret too much.

Back