• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel herbage alternative?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
My rabbits love excel herbage but it's £5-£6 a bag and they go through about 3 bags a week :shock: I wish they did it in bigger bags. Anyway I've tried them with a few other types of hay but they all seem to be brown and soft and not sweet smelling, they eat it but no where near as much. Is there anything that's green and sweet and not too soft? Not poke your eye out rough hay but not the really soft stuff either as I feel that doesn't wear their teeth down as much

EDIT: Just seen that the company who makes megazorb do something called 'Graze On Grass' is this any good? It seems cheaper than readigrass. I got a sample of readigrass a while ago but I'll admit I can't really remember what it was like

Last edited:
My rabbits love Ings hay from these people http://www.hay-and-straw.co.uk/. It is greenish, smells gorgeous, is not too stalky or too soft and has a small amount of flowering plants within it.

Thanks :) What's the difference between that and the meadow/timothy hay?

Also I've just seen that they do samples so i might do that :D

Last edited:
Thanks :) What's the difference between that and the meadow/timothy hay?

Also I've just seen that they do samples so i might do that :D

I haven't tried their meadow hay, but I have found other types of meadow hay too soft. The timothy and rye is green but stalkier.

I get farm hay from north of Nottingham (Martin's Farm at Dorket Head) at £6 per bale. Their last lot was really stalky and a bit poor quality but mine will eat it (it's all they've got, I'm a mean parent!) but at lest it wasn't damp like some have been from there :S I'd say if you're after consistent quality go with the internet stuff :)

I get my hay from timothyhay.co.uk, I think this years one is meant to be fresher & greener than usual as it's the 2016 cut. It's always good quality, stalky but not overly so, and arrives really quickly. The big sacks of 20kg (£22) or 40kg are really good value per kg, better than pet shop hay and better quality too.

B&M stock Timothy hay with Dandelion and Marigold, £1.99 per bag, always beautiful and green and Hettie loves it!

Back