• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Esme admitted 2.20 am. Re-admitted. UD51 Coming home!!

I am sorry she is still poorly. Sending lots more vibes for Esme. Hope the vet call brings some positive news.

Only just catching up with this. I'm so sorry that you are having such a dreadful time. :(

Sending loads of vibes for Esme and a big hug for you. xx

:(:(:(

She's very quiet, not eating much, being syringe fed.

She was hyperventilating a bit yesterday so was given pain relief. I'm getting the impression that she's not eating because she's in pain. I can't understand it at this stage. She is having a lot of painkillers as appropriate so no criticism there just want to understand why she isn't recovering at this stage. Is it more than a bad stasis episode????

*sigh*. I am really worried about her now. :cry::cry::cry: She definitely isn't doing well.

She has had blood profile etc, a lot of diagnostics and care.

Vet will ring me in the next few hours. I can't settle to anything in the meantime.

Poor Esme. :cry::cry:

Stasis is usually a secondary symptom of another issue rather than an illness in it's own right. Hopefully the diagnostics will shed some light on what the primary problem may be.

Stasis is usually a secondary symptom of another issue rather than an illness in it's own right. Hopefully the diagnostics will shed some light on what the primary problem may be.

Sorry, I worded it badly, I'm soo tired (and at work so I'll keep it brief!). Esme had bloods taken the first night and nothing remarkable. they really have been thorough and explained everything well. Vet talked about not being able to find any pain responses. She's come off the vetergesic now and metaclop. She's had a change (I think to metacam and domperidone but not 100% sure). i'm happy she's off the vetergesic as I don't like that being used unless necessary (which I believe it was, at the time).

I felt very reassured everything appropriate is being done. I think I just got panicked when I heard she had been hyperventilating again. They've got notes from HB's to see if there's any clues. Will take each hour as it comes. I spent 1/2 hour with Esme who was fairly unresponsive, not stressed just not engaging. As soon as the lid went back on the carrier though she moved about and thumped, so my take is that she is just stressed. I'm reviewing the situation tomorrow. Vet offered to send her to HB's if I think that is the right thing to do but as I think stress is main component, holding off for the moment.

Thanks for the vibes and advice etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, I worded it badly, I'm soo tired (and at work so I'll keep it brief!). Esme had bloods taken the first night and nothing remarkable. they really have been thorough and explained everything well. Vet talked about not being able to find any pain responses. She's come off the vetergesic now and metaclop. She's had a change (I think to metacam and domperidone but not 100% sure). I felt very reassured everything appropriate is being done. Decided to leave her there as I now think I'm overreacting due to being chronically tired. They've got note from HB's to see if there's any clues. Will take each hour as it comes. I spent 1/2 hour with Esme who was fairly unresponsive, not stresses just not engaging. As soon as the lid went back on the carrier though she moved about and thumped, so my take is that she is just stressed. I'm reviewing the situation tomorrow. Vet offered to send her to HB's if I think that is the right thing to do but as I think stress is main component, holding off for the moment.

Thanks for the vibes and advice etc.

Metoclop can cause gripey tummy pains, so *maybe* that could be an issue and why the Vet has stopped it.

Hopefully the next update will be better xx

Metoclop can cause gripey tummy pains, so *maybe* that could be an issue and why the Vet has stopped it.

Hopefully the next update will be better xx

Thanks Jane. That's reassured me a lot. I doubt she's had metaclop before as FHB usually gives Domperidone, so *maybe* the drug regime wasn't suiting her as well as her usual one.

I do know vets are putting in 110% effort.

Thanks for the vibes everyone.

I'm feeling far less worried about Es now I've had a sleep and had most recent updates.

One update from the vet at 6pm and then another from night duty nurse at 8pm.

Bloods and biochemistry (?not sure what this is) have been sent off and results will be known tomorrow.

Esme is bright some of the time and has been eating bits. When checked on it is observed that Fenugreek Crunchies offered earlier have disappeared and she's nibbled some spring greens. I'm really optimistic now that she's just having a recovery from a bad belly ache, if I'd felt like she did on Monday night I think I'd take a while to recover too. I think coming home and then going back in has made the recovery longer than had she stayed, so when I count how many days I should take this into account. This has happened to Elijah once too - nothing to find medically but hardly eating, that was definitely stress-related from coming home and then going back.

Artie has just made me have a really long cuddle and the world always seems better after one of those :love::love:

So, I'm really hoping she eats well overnight, but even if she eats better that will be a start. At least there's no suggestion of pain today.

I have an appointment with vet at noon to collect her :D:D

We are 'trying her at home' and there is (I think?) the option of taking her back for the night but I'm unclear on whether it was considered likely or optional but I suspect it would be detrimental, I think home or stay are the best options but she's eaten well overnight so I'm anticipating that continuing now.

So happy. It is what I was expecting after the consultation yesterday afternoon, but there'll always an underlying 'what if' there is something going on in these situations.

Great news! I hope she continues to stay bright and Hoover-like :D

:love:Thank you.:D I've just come back into the room and given them a handful of dried plantain each which she Hoovered down and l glanced round to see if she was still nomming and she's now got a gob full of the fresh grass I picked for her :D:D:D:D

.... she's been troughing the grass busily for about 3 minutes now :D:D:D

I knew straight away she was miles better than a couple of days ago because as soon as I picked the plantain up (5 minutes after she got home) she heared the plastic bag and her face lit up :love::love:

Back