• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Esme admitted 2.20 am. Re-admitted. UD51 Coming home!!

That's what I did

I am glad that Esme and Barnaby are doing better now xx

Thank you.

Yes, I think I need to try again. I want to try it with somebody encouraging me though. Ironically, I can see Esme's vein really well now as her ears are shaved, but I'm not going to practice on her tonight!!

The writing it down is just to remind you of the steps. You do know it all, that's clear, but panic can make the mind forget stuff and do things in the wrong order.

I will say that when I did Autumns, the first time I spent about fifteen minutes with him 'pinned' between my legs while I searched (but I forgot a clipper/razor). He sat there as good as gold. The next time I shaved him (and nicked his ear, poor boy) and had him between my legs and gave him a mound of pellets (he doesn't normally get a mound but I was making an exception). He sat there and whilst I did the whole thing just carried on eating. He wasn't stressed or phased at all. He wiggled a bit when it went in but not once did he stop eating, and I didn't even have to hold him in place, he just sat. So it can't be that stressful for him. Yes, all bunnies will act differently, but I don't think it's as bad as we think it could be, if that makes sense.

I did his in the morning the first time (came out at 5.1). I've been advised that because his episodes are mostly late in the day to do a blood sugar at that time too. Can't say I'm relishing that prospect, to be honest, but we'll get there (and then I'll take a sleeping tablet so I'm not panicking all night afterwards :lol:).

Learning how to do it at the vets is a great idea :) They can encourage you and help if anything makes you anxious. :)

Thanks again.

Esme went for her check up this morning and I was concerned as she's more subdued than I'd like and not eating enough. She's been re-admitted.

Got home from the hour or so toing and froing with Esme (she was seen at a branch and I took her to main surgery) checked everybody before starting work and Erin refused a fenugreek and went off to hide :cry::cry::cry::cry: She's not right but neither is she in agony. I'm giving her a litte while. She has eaten her breakfast.

Thanks again.

Esme went for her check up this morning and I was concerned as she's more subdued than I'd like and not eating enough. She's been re-admitted.

Got home from the hour or so toing and froing with Esme (she was seen at a branch and I took her to main surgery) checked everybody before starting work and Erin refused a fenugreek and went off to hide :cry::cry::cry::cry: She's not right but neither is she in agony. I'm giving her a litte while. She has eaten her breakfast.

Cabbage ??

I mean did you buy some and feed it to the Buns ?

I am beginning to think it is gassy tums you are dealing with ??

Cabbage ??

I mean did you buy some and feed it to the Buns ?

I am beginning to think it is gassy tums you are dealing with ??

They get spring greens from either Tescos or Morrison wherever they look the best.
I could be. I've started to wonder if there's a problem with hay storage? I have considered the cabbage as I must be getting something wrong. Rudy hasn't had a belly ache in a while and I used to blame greens for his bouts. I wish I had the answer. FHB says I'm just good at recognising the symptoms but I've had plenty of practice and there has to be somehting I'm getting wrong :cry::cry:

I have found some gnawed carpet in Erin's pen though (I did a refit when Elijah was staying at Hotel Harcourt recently). The carpet was definitely not chevelled last night as I sat in that spot cuddling her. She's just come out, quite enthusiastically for a cuddle but felt tense and still refused the F crunchie. Given what I've found with the carpet I will be on the phone to HB's in about 10 - 15 minutes unless she picks up. :cry::cry:

They get spring greens from either Tescos or Morrison wherever they look the best.
I could be. I've started to wonder if there's a problem with hay storage? I have considered the cabbage as I must be getting something wrong. Rudy hasn't had a belly ache in a while and I used to blame greens for his bouts. I wish I had the answer. FHB says I'm just good at recognising the symptoms but I've had plenty of practice and there has to be somehting I'm getting wrong :cry::cry:

I have found some gnawed carpet in Erin's pen though (I did a refit when Elijah was staying at Hotel Harcourt recently). The carpet was definitely not chevelled last night as I sat in that spot cuddling her. She's just come out, quite enthusiastically for a cuddle but felt tense and still refused the F crunchie. Given what I've found with the carpet I will be on the phone to HB's in about 10 - 15 minutes unless she picks up. :cry::cry:

Can you syringe some water into her ?

Erin no longer feels tense, was very alert and enjoyed some dried plantain, I can't find the crunchie that she ws refusing before. I *think* it was probably just gas. I've gathered up the bits of chevelled carpet I doubt she's ingested any but will keep an eye on the situation.

Can you syringe some water into her ?

Thanks. would you think this is still appropriate now she's brighter and eating?

Erin no longer feels tense, was very alert and enjoyed some dried plantain, I can't find the crunchie that she ws refusing before. I *think* it was probably just gas. I've gathered up the bits of chevelled carpet I doubt she's ingested any but will keep an eye on the situation.

Thanks. would you think this is still appropriate now she's brighter and eating?

No, but note what is coming out. Output is just as important as input.

Personally I no longer use carpet and any Bun who is a chewer has no access to fabric of any sort. IMO it is just not worth the risk.

How much Greens do you feed. I look at some portions shown on here and I am :shock: at the amount fed in one sitting. Some Buns get more Veg a day than mine get in a week.

So sorry for all the worries you have been having with Esme and Barnaby. I hope Esme will feel better soon - sending vibes for her.
It sends your nerves through the roof I think as soon as you realise something is wrong, and thats just for when bun, let alone when you have several of them unwell at once.
Get well soon Esme x

No, but note what is coming out. Output is just as important as input.

Personally I no longer use carpet and any Bun who is a chewer has no access to fabric of any sort. IMO it is just not worth the risk.

How much Greens do you feed. I look at some portions shown on here and I am :shock: at the amount fed in one sitting. Some Buns get more Veg a day than mine get in a week.

There has been good output this afternoon, which is actually unusual for Erin as I usually have to wait until 9pm for her to produce a pile (not that I spend all day on poop patrol of course ;). FHB thinks Erin probably does poop during the day but eats them again and then only leaves them in the evening, they are often stringy which ties in with this theory.

Erin has never been a carpet cheveller before, it must be this new carpet she's taken a like to :?

As for greens: it varies between rabbits but average feed is at breakfast half a medium spring green leaf per rabbit, same between 12 ansd 2pm, then again at about 7pm and 11/midnight. ie total of 2 medium leaves but spread through the day.

Update on Esme: She's not done very well today. She's appeared in pain this afternoon and been given more painkillers, she's not eaten much on her own but has nibbled hay. Has been syringe fed though. I think the nurse said she'd been hyperventilating but I didn't question it, I was shocked, she may have said 'not been' hyperventilating. I've been really upset since but may have got it wrong anyway.

I do know she has a very rabbit-savvy, rabbit-orientated nurse caring for her through the night so she is in good hands and will be well looked after. I guess if she has been hyperventilating and isn't doing any better then we could be calling on Frances but I may have got it wrong and Esme may just be reacting to being back there again. :( I'm upset and very worried about my girl though. :cry::cry:

:(:(:(

She's very quiet, not eating much, being syringe fed.

She was hyperventilating a bit yesterday so was given pain relief. I'm getting the impression that she's not eating because she's in pain. I can't understand it at this stage. She is having a lot of painkillers as appropriate so no criticism there just want to understand why she isn't recovering at this stage. Is it more than a bad stasis episode????

*sigh*. I am really worried about her now. :cry::cry::cry: She definitely isn't doing well.

She has had blood profile etc, a lot of diagnostics and care.

Vet will ring me in the next few hours. I can't settle to anything in the meantime.

Poor Esme. :cry::cry:

Back