• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah is in surgery for a blockage U/D got through surgery... He's home !!

How is Elijah doing today ?

Continuing to improve, thanks for asking :D He's bright in himself and eating a good amount.

I've just got back from an appointment with FHB for Artie having his bladder expressed. She would have let Elijah home today but if I hadn't been there anyway would have given him another day as an inpatient - so I said for him to stay and I'll collect him tomorrow. So presuming his recovery continues as it is then he'll be coming home tomorrow after work.

I was given more details about his blockage today and he was re-X-rayed at 4.00pm (the x-ray in the morning wasn't too alarming and his blood glucose was 11) by 4.00 pm there were quite obvious gas shadows on the x-ray and his stomach felt big by then... they were on quite high alert with him by then and NHB had warned FHB about the situation and possible need for surgery and just one hour later he felt a lot bigger, was obviously unwell and the BG test was 20 - it had gone up massively in an hour. The risk of leaving him, even if the blockage did clear on it's own was the possibility that the stress would be too much for him and he could go into shock... so the decision was taken to intervene.

There's a video of the proceedings (for training purposes for use at conferences I assume!) which NHB told me was really interesting because when the blockage is moved you can see all the back up behind it changing - must be like opening a dam! There's also some stills photographs which I was offered a view of, though weren't available at the time - I do want to see this stuff, it's fascinating. So, maybe such pictures in publications in the future could be my Elijah :shock: Oh and his intestines (because they were full of gas) were like 'hose pipes' before the blockage was moved so I don't know how much pressure of gas it would have taken to shift that :cry:

Last edited:
That's great news that he's doing so well :D:D

The blockage sounds so painful, poor wee soul.

Bet you can't wait to get him home!

That's great news that he's doing so well :D:D

The blockage sounds so painful, poor wee soul.

Bet you can't wait to get him home!

I can't! I was desperate to see him today but I know he's alright and I didn't want to upset him by him thinking he was coming home and then not. He's a happy little soul, I'm sure he's charming everybody there :love:

So pleased to hear that he is continuing to do well.

He'll be hell to live with now he has 'celebrity intestines' !! :shock:

I am very pleased Elijah is recovering. It's an awful worry when they have these kinds of issues.

You are a very handsome fellow Elijah.:love:

I am very pleased Elijah is recovering. It's an awful worry when they have these kinds of issues.

You are a very handsome fellow Elijah
.:love:

THank you

Right at the moment both ears are bald and so is his belly, and his ears look like pin cushions, but he will still be handsome :lol::lol:

At least with the bald ears I stand a fighting chance of doing a blood glucose test in the near future, god forbid it should be necessary.

I have just seen this.
What a terrifying time you have been through with little Elijah.
Fhb worked her experience and magic again and has saved your little bunnys life.
I am so happy for you.
Your description of his operation is facinating.I would be wanting to see the photographs and the video.
You must be missing him so much tonight. He is such a special little bun.:love:

I have just seen this.
What a terrifying time you have been through with little Elijah.
Fhb worked her experience and magic again and has saved your little bunnys life.
I am so happy for you.
Your description of his operation is facinating.I would be wanting to see the photographs and the video.
You must be missing him so much tonight. He is such a special little bun.:love:

I think Nigel only offered me the photographs because he thought I would turn green and pass out - I don't think for a minute he thought I would really want to see them :lol::lol: When Frances described it all to me today (filling in the gaps of what Nigel described on Sunday) she said that you can never be totally sure you have made the right decision because you're balancing between them going into shock if you leave them in stress too long or the very high risk surgery when *maybe* if you left it longer it would sort itself out. I have absolutely no doubt from the descriptions I've been given that they intervened at exactly the right moment - and as you say - saved his life :love::love:

(Oh and it took NHB about 20 minutes to get a blood sample good enough to do the test on during the consultation so I don't feel quite so bad at being useless now, but I'm more determined than ever to get the hang of it as I feel a REALLY need to do it for their sakes, especially Elijah).

He's coming home, he's coming home

He's coming home!!

Is much better, eating and pooping.

I'm collecting him after work.

Whoo hoo, I thought I'd never see his cheeky little face again ... I can't wait!!

Thank you for all the kind messages, vibes and words of support. It would have been a lonely few days without them :love::love:

Brilliant news...I've just dropped one of our buns off for potentially the same surgery, its great to hear a success story, we always think the worst don't we.

Welcome back Elijah you're a super-star! :thumb:

Back