• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Edited Title: Think before you post.

I think the OP was thinking of this rather than urgent medical questions.

So many people won't show photos in case fault is picked with their care/set up. Some folks go so far as putting 'disclaimers' on their threads with a full explanation of why a thing is done to avoid getting all the negative comments, which IMO they shouldn't have to do.

I was lucky when I joined here that the posting was far less aggressive. I posted pics of my boys with hutches full if sawdust. Fortunately no one ranted at me about it, and because the forum felt friendly I soon found out through reading through threads that sawdust is not a good idea.

If I had been treated like some new members have lately I wouldn't have come back (I would still have researched the sawdust issue by myself, but I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of this community).

:thumb:

I used to put all kinds of disclaimers on my photo threads - either that or closely scrutinise the photos before I posted them. :oops: I don't care so much now but it's easy to see how people can feel intimidated or scared away by it all.

But this is what you get on large forums - cliques of people thinking they are right, their way or the highway and have no room for anything else. We are all guilty of it, and I am point no fingers whatsoever. But it does annoy me.

Sometimes you know that as soon as one person posts a negative comment a whole truckload of people will shout out to agree with them, and others are too scared to post a positive comment.

I think it's one of those crowd mentality things (ie safer in a crowd rather than a lone voice), rather than evidence of cliques.

i can see both sides. it's frustrating when people ask for advice but if its the advice they dont want to hear you get asked not to post 'negative comments' :roll: (i am staying clear of all those threads now, too much drama!)

i also see how people going on and on about something ie bun needs bigger accomodaton, needs a friend etc, can come across as, for lack of a better word, aggressive. however, this is a rescue forum and if people are led to believe that having small accomodation is acceptable 'it's ok it's your 1st bun' then all these welfare issue's are never gonna change.

with research being so accesable now a days i feel that sometimes being blunt is needed, otherwise people will carry on thinking its ok to keep things as they are.

i have had people 'pounce' on me before and as much as i didn't like it, it made me stop and think.

i just feel people who are asking for the advice need to be willing to hear it, as to the people willing to help need to encourage not discourage.

x

And I quote

Hannah Whitall Smith said:
The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.

Can I ask, are those posting on this thread those who feel they have been 'attacked' by other members, or those who have 'just' witnessed it? Or even been someone who has 'attacked' other members?

You might be fed up about that....but you know what I'm fed up about....?!

"The forums so mean"
"No one has anything nice to say"
"It's not the same as it was"
"No one likes me, everyone hates me"
"There are cliques that rule RU"

.....I'm sick and tired of people criticising everything about the forum. It is what we make it. Bad energy only breeds bad energy!! Telling everyone that they're cruel and heartless CONSTANTLY is only going to rile people up and make them far more likely to post blunt posts.

I, for one, love RU. I post here because I enjoy it....most of the time. Nothing keeps any of us here. If you don't like it then don't read it. :?

Last edited:
And I quote

Can I ask, are those posting on this thread those who feel they have been 'attacked' by other members, or those who have 'just' witnessed it? Or even been someone who has 'attacked' other members?

I'm just a person of great negativity who misinterprets everything wrongly!

*face palm* I annoy myself often!:lol:

And I quote

Personally I have just witnessed it. There has been a few comments made which annoyed me on a couple of my earlier posts when I was new somewhere but nothing like what I am talking about in this post.

And I quote

i would say i have been all 3 at one point or another. the latter im not proud of :oops: but frustration when you get the same memember wanting you to say 'it's ok, 3 buns in a box sized cage is fine. you obviously love them so it makes it ok' :roll: gets beyond a joke sometimes. (i appriciate what people have said on this thread though and i will no longer be commenting on things i dont agree with, incase it gets misconstrude)

x

I agree that some people will down right ignore constructive advice but so many times have I read with shock the amount of people getting all high and mighty and usually down-right rude. Thats the reason why I stay out of those threads unless I have something purely constructive to say. If the OP takes that advice - great. If not - it happens. I feel sick at the thought of any animals suffering but ultimately we cannot control it, but it would be nice if we had a hand in stopping it.

Yes, that's true. Sometimes I wonder if people maybe get a bit sidetracked. For example, if there's a few good constructive comments amongst many pretty nasty rude ones, maybe the person who asked for the advice gets upset and is sort of "blinded" to the good stuff and appears to ignore it. I'd like to think/hope the good info is still absorbed and they take it on board when they're less upset at the rudeness of the others :)

Absolutely - the forum seems full of people saying 'I hardly ever post anymore' (and yet you are still here - please feel free to stay if you'd like to, or go if you'd rather, but don't just sit and moan about a perceived atmosphere etc).

And I quote

I think I fall into all three categories :wave:

You might be fed up about that....but you know what I'm fed up about....?!

"The forums so mean"
"No one has anything nice to say"
"It's not the same as it was"
"No one likes me, everyone hates me"
"There are cliques that rule RU"

.....I'm sick and tired of people criticising everything about the forum. It is what we make it. Bad energy only breeds bad energy!! Telling everyone that they're cruel and heartless CONSTANTLY is only going to rile people up and make them far more likely to post blunt posts.

I, for one, love RU. I post here because I enjoy it....most of the time. Nothing keeps any of us here. If you don't like it then don't read it. :?

:thumb:

And I quote

I've witnessed it. A lot of the time I don't reply to threads where people have asked a question and been effectively lynched because I've read the responses and don't want to get involved.

I am in no way critacizing everything or everyone on this forum, just the few who are rude to other members.

For the most part I love it on here. And I am in no way telling EVERYONE that they are cruel and hearltess, infact I have never said that anyone here is cruel or heartless, I feel that their passion and enthusiasm for rabbits and rabbit welfare can sometimes come across as rude and forceful.

I am sorry if you feel my post was an attack on everyone because it wasn't meant in that way at all.

(i appriciate what people have said on this thread though and i will no longer be commenting on things i dont agree with, incase it gets misconstrude)

I don't think anybody should stop commenting where there are issues they don't agree with - just that we all should take a little more care with wording things when we do post.

I don't think anybody should stop commenting where there are issues they don't agree with - just that we all should take a little more care with wording things when we do post.

why are we tip toeing around people now??

if someone is doing something that is detrememental to a bun why do we have to act with kid gloves??

i think people need to be diplomatic in what they say but also that people have to be willing to hear it! otherwise we might as well just have the stories and pictures chat room :?

Back