• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Edited Title: Think before you post.

Rep points may not be an option at all on this forum it depends if the software supports it. I've only used one forum that uses this system and the software is not the same as the one here.

Rep points may not be an option at all on this forum it depends if the software supports it. I've only used one forum that uses this system and the software is not the same as the one here.

I know VBulletin does do this, I only use VB forums and they all have it. I do think it needs to be paid for though.

I know VBulletin does do this, I only use VB forums and they all have it. I do think it needs to be paid for though.

I've never actually used VBulletin as an admin but Invision does have them as well. The only forum I know of that uses them doesn't have its users take them seriously. People are voted down just because people dislike them and the popular folk get points even though they say nothing constructive. I think it'd be pointless on a forum like this.

Not read the whole thread (on a break from horse-related boredom!) but about 15 pages (yes I'm that bored!)

Had an idea a while back, no idea if it would work, but essentially we "pledge" (in our signatures?) to be calm and rational, to think before we post and to try our hardest not to be inflammatory etc. Everyone then gets infracted more easily if they break the rules, and such posts are deleted, such that we learn better posting habits - if the thoughtless things we type are constantly removed and we get limits put on our access, it will teach us to be more careful about what we write and let issues go rather than risk more infractions. Just a thought.

I've never actually used VBulletin as an admin but Invision does have them as well. The only forum I know of that uses them doesn't have its users take them seriously. People are voted down just because people dislike them and the popular folk get points even though they say nothing constructive. I think it'd be pointless on a forum like this.

That's the same on Pet Forums, people actually ask for them, actually creating threads for it! This forum gets so heated, I can see how it would go that way too.

I use Pets n People forum, and reps have always been used correctly there. However on there, we have no negetive button, only positive. You can only give good rep, and it works really well.

That's the same on Pet Forums, people actually ask for them, actually creating threads for it! This forum gets so heated, I can see how it would go that way too.

Aye new folk do that on the forum I use as well, they end up with loads of "redies". :lol:

Now that I think about it my lineolated parakeet forum is VBulliten and it gives its members the oppertunity to "thank" users for their posts. Maybe this is similar to what your forum does as there's no oppertunity to give the opposite.

Aye new folk do that on the forum I use as well, they end up with loads of "redies". :lol:

Now that I think about it my lineolated parakeet forum is VBulliten and it gives its members the oppertunity to "thank" users for their posts. Maybe this is similar to what your forum does as there's no oppertunity to give the opposite.

On the GP forum, the sister site of this one, the have thanks as well. On PNP, we actually have give rep but only green :) both work quite well, and I think thanking would be good.

I always put a :? if I'm confused -because that's what the smiley says when you hover over it. *is confused but daren't use the confused smilie to indicate said confusion* :lol:

I think SarahP is right - we use emoticons in an attempt to get across our true meaning and it's probably making us more misunderstood.

Ban the smilies!!!

I always put a :? if I'm confused -because that's what the smiley says when you hover over it. *is confused but daren't use the confused smilie to indicate said confusion* :lol:

I think SarahP is right - we use emoticons in an attempt to get across our true meaning and it's probably making us more misunderstood.

Ban the smilies!!!

Noooo!!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

I only use the 'confused' one for when I am confused...like I am now....:?

I think adding more emoticons would be good, like a head exploding one or a vomit one would be handy at times I am being serious not about those particular emoticons, I think they could work to defuse situations at times there are some funny ones :lol:

Last edited:
I think adding more emoticons would be good, like a head exploding one or a vomit one would be handy at times I am being serious not about those particular emoticons, I think they could work to defuse situations at times there are some funny ones :lol:

Please don't ever introduce a vomit one :shock::shock: That would proper freak me out - me and vomit don't mixand I know i'm not the only one on here, but yes I agree a wider choice of emoticons would be great, ive seen a scratching head one somewhere for confused that looks a bit less 'humphy' than the one on here at the mo!

I agree!! Although def not a vomiting one... maybe just a green sickly looking one :lol: I don't do vom either!!

I like the idea of more smileys. Can we steal them from other forums? Because I've seen some awesome ones. :lol:

Also, the appreciation points I was talking about are slightly different to voting people up and down. You can only give someone a point, not take them away. But if it's not something people like the idea of that's cool, it's a completely different community and I can see why people think it wouldn't work here.

pinched.png
whistling.png
angry.png
joyful.png
sick.png

^stolen from another forum. :p

I agree!! Although def not a vomiting one... maybe just a green sickly looking one :lol: I don't do vom either!!

:lol::mrgreen: Yes I agree the vom one is probably a bit bad taste, maybe the spinning bare bottom passing wind ?:lol: Just joking :angel:

Also, the appreciation points I was talking about are slightly different to voting people up and down. You can only give someone a point, not take them away.

That might not be so bad then .... if you could take them away I'd probably be in minus figures all the time. :lol::lol::lol:

It's nothing to do with who your friends are. There are a thousand or so people that may read a post so you'd have to have an awful lot of friends to not get reported.

I did wonder about showing infractions, a lot of people assume nothing is done when in reality the post was given an infraction or warning.

We frequently post notes on a thread warning people to tone it down, the majority of the time that goes ignored though.

I think even if someone has posted a 'stupid' question, they could have searched the answer for and has been answered a million times they should still get a polite reply. It doesn't take any more effort and if that bugs you that much, just don't reply at all!

I have more than likely posted some questions that may appear "stupid" to some vetrens on the site. I have googled diet for my bunny, dagerous plants in my garden, cages, etc. Honestly alot of stuff was TOO vague for me, some said feed lettuce, some said DONT etc. The reason I ask people on here is because they have had EXPERIENCE and often that is the only form of knowledge. If I didn't love my bunny and want the best for him then I wouldn't bother asking the "Stupid" questions, I think that is what people should look at on here, that the people asking questions obviously care for their bunnies and want them to have the best possible.
So I agree with Tamsin, if you dont like our post then just dont reply, but please if you want to help a newby then "I, Myself" am honestly very grateful for your wisdom and time.
I would like to thank all who have been so kind to give of their knowledge and time to help me make my bunnies life better.

I did wonder about showing infractions, a lot of people assume nothing is done when in reality the post was given an infraction or warning.

We frequently post notes on a thread warning people to tone it down, the majority of the time that goes ignored though.

I think it's time to implement shown infractions. Maybe it will reign people in a bit.

I think it's time to implement shown infractions. Maybe it will reign people in a bit.

I agree.

But do you just want to know who the second account was? :lol: ;) Although I don't suppose that would be quite the same, since they were banned, not just given infraction.

Back