• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

edible weeds

bottom one

yes, I thought from the grainy stem it looks like hogweed too. Maybe we need to know the height of the plant?

yes, I thought from the grainy stem it looks like hogweed too. Maybe we need to know the height of the plant?

:shock: so I'll have to go out with carrier, scissors, camera and now a tape measure...I'll will be getting funny looks!! :lol::lol: it was quite tall actually...and having googled Hogwart yes it does look the same.
I did pick some white clover, although the buns didn't really like the red clover I don't hold any hope of them eating it ...will give the Plantain a soak...

Sorry I can't help with the top one. [I'd have to identify from scratch & would need more detail]

Middle picture Greater plantain. OK for buns. I dry it. As a personal precaution because the fibers in the leaves are similar in dimension to celery stem fiber, I cut it up, to help him chew the fiber properly.
there is a narrow leafed plantain also called ribwort which I use for Thumper too. They are quite high in plant proteins & to be used sparingly (Not as a main feed)

Bottom picture looks like the highly poisonous ragwort to me.

It occurred to me that there are some HUGE herbs - grow 4'-5' that are OK for buns eg. Lovage, Borage self seeds everywhere, Comfrey (high in calcium - not suited for a bun with sludge) Fennel - helps gassy buns.

Many thanks for that :D i've binned the other plants.
I also picked white clover, which they've eaten readily, they pulled their nose this aft at the red...maybe it is where it's been grown, I found the white leaf a bit bigger..as for the Yarrow what bit of that can they eat?

Lildebs You have yarrow at the top. It's a dieretic for buns - so used sparingly so as not to cause dehydration.

I think the lower photo is Scentless mayweed/false chamomile. The white petals will come out in the next few days. I don't know about bunny safety.

Lildebs You have yarrow at the top. It's a dieretic for buns - so used sparingly so as not to cause dehydration.

I think the lower photo is Scentless mayweed/false chamomile. The white petals will come out in the next few days. I don't know about bunny safety.

hmm ....is it worth giving the yarrow then do you think, don't want to make them ill, just want to add a little 'wild' variety now and again. :D

:shock: so I'll have to go out with carrier, scissors, camera and now a tape measure...I'll will be getting funny looks!! :lol::lol: it was quite tall actually...and having googled Hogwart yes it does look the same.
I did pick some white clover, although the buns didn't really like the red clover I don't hold any hope of them eating it ...will give the Plantain a soak...

:lol::lol::lol: we'll have to call you inch worm :p

i have loads of ragwort on my grass, i pulled out a tree of it practically on Sunday...all gone now though :) i have )enough weed to feed my bunnies for the whole summer but don't trust myself to identify them, i have plenty of dandelions, brambles (some were flowering, i have cut them to ground level now though) doc leaves and bindweed. oh and i had 5 foot tall grass which had flowered but i cut that down.

That's the name - scentless mayweed - i'm pretty certain it is listed as safe in Virginia Richardsons' book on rabbit nutrition - will check later on as got to dash now x

That's the name - scentless mayweed - i'm pretty certain it is listed as safe in Virginia Richardsons' book on rabbit nutrition - will check later on as got to dash now x

Yep scentless mayweed and pineapple mayweed are both listed as rabbit safe and edible. But be careful that this is what it is and not something else that mimicks it. It does look like the photo in her book but I can not say for sure.

I've googled and it also says Pineapple weed is related to the Mayweed...and looks exactly like what I saw...

Guys & ladies, although this is an excellent thread relating to wild plant id'ing please be so careful and make sure you are 100% on the ID given. I've got tons of books on wild flower identification and it's been a personal hobby of mine for the last 20 years however there are so many different variations of wild plants that I've declined to give advice on whether something is ok, or not.
As I said previously you need to be absolutley sure, if you're taking photos you need to post detailed pics of the flower head, the stem, any offshoots and the root head.
The task is made even harder by there being no definitive source for whats safe for rabbits to eat in terms of wild plants, and poor quality photos bring no benefit. If you're taking photos let's see macro mode on for at least the flowers, leaves and stem.

Guys & ladies, although this is an excellent thread relating to wild plant id'ing please be so careful and make sure you are 100% on the ID given. I've got tons of books on wild flower identification and it's been a personal hobby of mine for the last 20 years however there are so many different variations of wild plants that I've declined to give advice on whether something is ok, or not.
As I said previously you need to be absolutley sure, if you're taking photos you need to post detailed pics of the flower head, the stem, any offshoots and the root head.
The task is made even harder by there being no definitive source for whats safe for rabbits to eat in terms of wild plants, and poor quality photos bring no benefit. If you're taking photos let's see macro mode on for at least the flowers, leaves and stem.

I think that is a very good point leong.
ETA Please will you correct me if I have made a serious error.

Hi Thumps, no corrections needed so far, maybe we should get together and write a book ;)

This one has been bugging me though.

100_9778.jpg

That is definatley not oxeye daisy and is actually chamomile, the clear indicator is the leaf structure. To make sure, squash the head and smell it, it should smell of apple (Granny smiths to be precise:D ).

Hi Thumps, no corrections needed so far, maybe we should get together and write a book ;)

100_9778.jpg

That is definatley not oxeye daisy and is actually chamomile, the clear indicator is the leaf structure. To make sure, squash the head and smell it, it should smell of apple (Granny smiths to be precise:D ).

Well I know I didn't have a clue - but my two random guesses were close then weren't they! :lol: I thought it looked like chamomile. Are you sure it's definitely not scentless mayweed then?:?

100_9778.jpg

We used to call that Pineapple plant. :oops:

:wave: No worries there, If I'm not sure I won't feed, I recognised the Plantain when I saw it, although couldn't remember it's name.. Yarrow I could use..but umming and arrin ....gave a couple of leaves of the Plantain a good wash and soak and please to say it's all gone down well, seed heads and all :D...will keep an eye on tums.

I have been googling and as you say it's very easy to name a wrong one...some look so similar!! I'd have to be 100% comfortable with what ever I feed them, thankyou for pointing that out though :D

Back