• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

edible weeds

It looks as if you've got a thistle thistle there. Are the flowers purple or yellow?
That would be way too spikey for my bun but he's a bit nesh. :oops:

Mind there can be some right vicious spikey sow thistles, as I found to my:(.
I saw lots of seeds wafting in on a Westerly breeze, & set off to find where they'd come from. I found the patch alright but they were as vicious as an ordinary thistle, no good for MY bun.

The thistle has no flowers, I think the bigger the thistle had less spikes (as they seem VERY spikey) but was a small one. Not going to give that, will look for a few more.

The middle photo is red clover.
The bottom photo is 2 HUGE dock plants - NOT for buns once it's flowered & procuced these seeds. Amongst it at the bottom right you can see some buttercup seed heads also - NOT for buns

Last edited:
def not a plum tree, there are loads of these on the far field. I thought the middle one was the same as the left one maybe a younger version, the yellow right picture is a diff plant I think.
May take a walk later, there's an old cemetry church yard 2min away..quite over grown with stuff :oops:

The middle photo is red clover.
The bottom photo is a HUGE dock plant - NOT for buns once it's flowered & procuced these seeds. Amongst it at the bottom you can see some buttercup seed heads also - NOT for buns

Aaah ok..can the buns eat the red clover, flower as well?

Those are BIG docks you have there!! :shock: Blimey!

As thumps says, not suitable when in flower and seed.

Stufi - chickweed is in the green food book as safe - says it's not a great feed source but is safe to feed. :wave:

Those are BIG docks you have there!! :shock: Blimey!

As thumps says, not suitable when in flower and seed.

Stufi - chickweed is in the green food book as safe - says it's not a great feed source but is safe to feed. :wave:

yes, they're on a field, was hoping they'd be useful as there are LOTS! shows how good the local council is :lol:

yes, they're on a field, was hoping they'd be useful as there are LOTS! shows how good the local council is :lol:

Oooo don't get me going about the Council. Bad timing of verge mowing has devastated the wild plants in this area leaving us with a mass of poisonous plants or plants useless for wild life eg. masses of hemlock within the last 3 years (none before) giant dock, giant hogweed,etc. The only good thing is the nettles for butterflies. We've lost all the native plants which made the country lanes like a garden of colour, because they are mown down before they seed.

Been for another evening stroll about near the cemetry grounds...more pics...sorry!

IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/lildebs_2009/100_9773.jpg[/IMG]

100_9775.jpg

Is this plantain?
100_9777.jpg

Is this Groundsel?
IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/lildebs_2009/100_9778.jpg[/IMG]
100_9779.jpg

Any good? (here's hoping)!!

Last edited:
Been for another evening stroll about near the cemetry grounds...more pics...sorry!

IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/lildebs_2009/100_9773.jpg[/IMG]

100_9775.jpg

Is this plantain?
100_9777.jpg

Is this Groundsel?
IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/lildebs_2009/100_9778.jpg[/IMG]
100_9779.jpg

Any good? (here's hoping)!!

The middle pic is broad-leaved plantain and is safe to feed all parts of the plant. :D

The bottom one is definitely NOT groundsel. I can't see properly with the light reflecting off the image but it looks a bit like hogweed :? i'm not certain from the image.
I can't tell what the first one is either as there are a lot of plants together in that one. The pink flower beside it I know very well - but can't put my finger on it's name! :roll:.... *waits for Thumps to fill in the gaps* :D

The middle pic is broad-leaved plantain and is safe to feed all parts of the plant. :D

The bottom one is definitely NOT groundsel. I can't see properly with the light reflecting off the image but it looks a bit like hogweed :? i'm not certain from the image.
I can't tell what the first one is either as there are a lot of plants together in that one. The pink flower beside it I know very well - but can't put my finger on it's name! :roll:.... *waits for Thumps to fill in the gaps* :D

:D Plantain..can they eat the stalky thingy flower, do weeds have to be washed?

:D Plantain..can they eat the stalky thingy flower, do weeds have to be washed?

Scrap what I said - that one that looks like hogweed in the light isn't - it looks like Ragwort - just not yet in bloom - very poisonous do not touch it!

Is this Yarrow?

100_9773.jpg

This one is small to the ground
100_9778.jpg

Top one is yarrow yes.

Bottom one looks like an ox-eye daisy or some sort of daisy.:? Similar to chamomile I often think but isn't. Also not safe from looking at the pic and from what I remember.

:lol: aah yes seed heads :oops::lol:
ETA Can buns eat Yarrow...think I read sparingly somewhere, do you know if they can eat all of it...sorry for the billion questions! :roll:

See if you can get your pics more in focus and without the sun reflecting! ;):lol:

I'm just kidding - it's cos I can't identify them all :oops: I know them all by sight just not by name, very frustrating. Judy will know and be along soon. x

Back