• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maize leaves

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Is there a reasonable value in feeding dried maize leaves as part of a wider variety? I know they're high in fibre, but would be interested to know if they have anything extra to offer, or if they are even considered yummy at all!!
We've got all 3 buns on a fresh/foraged diet now but going into winter the fresh forage is minimal and I'm keen to keep a good variety for the little one.I've just found maize leaves in bulk that could be a nice addition.

Mine like the fresh leaves, stems & green outer bits of the cobs that you normally strip off. They get all except the bit I eat from the plants I grow on the allotment.

Technically, it is still a grass, so there's no reason why they shouldn't get the green bits. It's the dried corn seeds that cause issues.

Cool, I've never tried ours with them I don't think, it's not something we have very often. I'll get a bag and see what they think!! I can get a bag of carrot tops from the same place so they'll have a nice couple of additions to the menu.

Back