• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eat eat eat eat eat eat...

Domino27

Mama Doe
My chubster (new nickname) is 4 months old now, I usually give her (shift work depending) 1/4 bowl (medium sized) of pellets and fill the rest up to the top with chopped greens. I come back in the afto/evening and ALL is gone...if on a rest day and I get her out for a good 8-10 hours to have the run of the kitchen/conserv, if up to her, she'd go through about 4 of these bowls in the first hour and then be nomming around for more....

She has plenty of hair to nibble on, lots of food...but will not stop eating...! Any ideas or is she just going through a "see food" diet...?

My chubster (new nickname) is 4 months old now, I usually give her (shift work depending) 1/4 bowl (medium sized) of pellets and fill the rest up to the top with chopped greens. I come back in the afto/evening and ALL is gone...if on a rest day and I get her out for a good 8-10 hours to have the run of the kitchen/conserv, if up to her, she'd go through about 4 of these bowls in the first hour and then be nomming around for more....

She has plenty of hair to nibble on, lots of food...but will not stop eating...! Any ideas or is she just going through a "see food" diet...?

hay?! :shock::shock::shock:

Oh dang o.o

Well, she could just be eating all those pellets and veggies..to..well..eat.

Just like how people eat when they're bored. My male lop eats just to eat.
We had to cut back his pellet intake cause he was getting so HUGE.

Maybe after she eats all her pellets and noms, just give her a TON of hay
til the next morning? :]

Some people advise unlimitted pellets for young buns (under 6 months), personally I disagree as I think it impacts the hay consumpsion. To me your feeding amount sounds right. They are natural grazers so just make sure you give her plenty of hay.

You could try also putting healthy treats (like some of her greens) in with the hay, then she'll have fun digging out the treats then eating the hay. This keeps my two busy for hours... They also love chewing on willow sticks - does your "chubster" (love that) have these too? I think sometimes the eating is just to nibble on something, so it doesn't always have to be food, just something they can get their teeth into. My male mini-lop strips the bark off the willow sticks then throws them around..
Bunnies will eat anything you put in front of them and act like they haven't been fed in about a year, so as long as there's plenty for them to do and lots of hay, they'll be happy. And by the way, they're always like this - they don't grow out of it!! (well, mine certainly haven't)
So learn their "but i'm starving" tricks to get more food early on and you won't have a fat bun...

So learn their "but i'm starving" tricks to get more food early on and you won't have a fat bun...

I am trying to educate my OH on this - I keep finding carrots have vanished from the fridge! :lol:

Always eating sounds normal and healthy to me. Its just up to you to make sure the right things are available to eat. They like their hay fresh so provide fresh handfuls throughout the day. Once the pellet and veg ration have been eaten that's it no more just hay.

Oh dang o.o

Well, she could just be eating all those pellets and veggies..to..well..eat.

Just like how people eat when they're bored. My male lop eats just to eat.
We had to cut back his pellet intake cause he was getting so HUGE.

Maybe after she eats all her pellets and noms, just give her a TON of hay
til the next morning? :]

lol well yes I am aware they'll just eat...to eat...I'm not that much of a dipster :D

Back