• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dot's having emergency surgery for a blockage. UD she's gone

Thank you. I spend so much time being paranoid about not eating bunnies and going into blind panic but I really didn't expect this outcome today. She was only a baby :cry::cry:

I know it just seems to sneak up without any warning, no matter how vigilant we are some buns just hide it until its too late :cry:
You did the very best for her though and she had some wonderful time with you being her mummy :love:
((((hugs))))

I am CERTAIN you did not 'jinx' her.
The GI tract problem could *possibly* have been related to the Tapeworm Cyst.
Please, please do NOT blame yourself for something you could not have prevented xx

I am CERTAIN you did not 'jinx' her.
The GI tract problem could *possibly* have been related to the Tapeworm Cyst.
Please, please do NOT blame yourself for something you could not have prevented xx

I asked the vet if she thought it could have been anything to do with the tapeworm cyst but she thought it was unlikely - but without opening up the intestine and looking at the blockage material I don't suppose you can say for sure (it is still on my list of suspects, especially as her eating habits were so good). If it had still been during surgery hours I think I would have asked her to have a look but she'd already done 1 hours overtime trying to save her so I felt it wasn't fair to ask her.

Thanks for talking the time to tell me I'm talking nonsense, I know you have been having a tough time lately and I've just been in 'shut down/shut off' mode for a few weeks so don't really feel I deserve any comforting words :oops::oops:

I'm so so sorry Bunny Buddy :cry::cry:. My heart goes out to you. If it's any consolation i would have done the same thing. She would have gone without the surgery so you gave her the best possible chance and she will thank you for that.
God Bless.xxxxxxxx

I asked the vet if she thought it could have been anything to do with the tapeworm cyst but she thought it was unlikely - but without opening up the intestine and looking at the blockage material I don't suppose you can say for sure (it is still on my list of suspects, especially as her eating habits were so good). If it had still been during surgery hours I think I would have asked her to have a look but she'd already done 1 hours overtime trying to save her so I felt it wasn't fair to ask her.

Thanks for talking the time to tell me I'm talking nonsense, I know you have been having a tough time lately and I've just been in 'shut down/shut off' mode for a few weeks so don't really feel I deserve any comforting words :oops::oops:

Of course you do !!
Losing a Bun so suddenly and at such a young age is awful. No loss is 'easy' of course, but sudden and unexpected losses really do leave you in a state of total shock and disbelief.

((((((((((((((((Hugs ))))))))))))))))))

Oh Alison, I'm so sorry. :(:( I started reading the thread title and was so shocked to read the U/D part on the end. :( I hadn't been on since yesterday afternoon and it's awful to think of all that you've gone through while I've been offline iyswim. This was the last thing I was expecting to read this morning.

Little Dot was so lucky to have a wonderful bunny mummy, and it's so sad to think that you searched so long for her only for this to happen. I'm sure you already know, but you didn't jinx her and it was just awfully bad luck.

Huge hugs for you. xxx Sleep tight Little Dot. :(:(

Thanks again everybody. I'm still deep in shock over losing her so quickly, just a few hours from not well to gone. I've just had a count up and she wasn't here even 10 weeks. :cry::cry::cry:

I've collected her and I'm psyching myself up to burying her. I did say (only about a week ago on a thread) I would probably go for cremation *sigh* but it's alien to me and I haven't yet got my head round it all :cry::cry::cry: There is a place near Scrat and Izzy which seems appropriate - all my harlequin girls together :cry::cry::cry:

I did let Elijah see her but I'm half wishing I hadn't as he was quite upset and I wonder if he'd have been better off not knowing. :cry::cry::cry:

Thinking of you. xx

Rabbits are such fragile creatures, as well as very precious to their owners. I don't have experience, but perhaps it was necessary for Elijah to see Dot, even if it was upsetting. I'm sure you'll be giving him lots of extra love and reassurance.

I am so sorrry you lost little Dot so suddenly. :cry::cry: You did everything you could for her. Even though she was with you for 10 weeks - that might not seem a long time but I bet to bunnies that feels like a long time, and I bet that during that time she was incredibly happy and loved and spoiled.

So sorry again. Binky free Dot. x

I've only just seen this, I am so sorry. It can happen so quickly but you did all you could to give Dot the best chance. Thinking of you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Even though it's upsetting, I'm certain you did right by letting Elijah see her- he will understand why she has gone and not feel he has been abandoned xx

Thanks everybody. I'm still trying to get my head around it. I really can't my vibrant little baby has gone :cry::cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Even though it's upsetting, I'm certain you did right by letting Elijah see her- he will understand why she has gone and not feel he has been abandoned xx

Thanks. I'm now believing I did the right thing as he is 'normal' again this morning, I was worried that he thought I was a rabbit murderer yesterday. He was really upset, he was running around banging his feet and letting out a moany/anguish type noise. Even when I took her away he kept doing that for quiet a while and wouldn't let me near. I thought I would send him into stasis he was so upset. By late evening it was cuddle time as usual but he spent most of the afternoon looking into her pen like he was trying to work out of it was true or not :cry: I have to start working out what to do for the best for him now as the poor little love has waited all this time for a companion and is on his own again. I don't feel up to addressing this but I will have to make it priority.

You need to give it a little time, then the answer will make itself clearer to you.

I'm traveling up your way in 2 weeks time - let me know, as and if you're ready, if you'd like my help with a run as I pass a number of rescues - sorry if this seems clumsy and heartless, just want to be of help.

Back