• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dont know whats wrong..

Oh no, what a sad outcome :( She looked so beautiful.
Where did you get her from? If it was a breeder or pet shop then I would advise that you ring them and tell them what you have gone through and what happened to this poor bunny. She was given to you either as a sick bunny or too young and they need to know this to prevent it happening to any others :( You did everything you could to save her but she was clearly too poorly. I hope your ok. x

Thank you all for your kind words at this sad time they all really help.
We got her from a supposedly reputable pet shop. My mum has called them up and at first they were very unhelpful but then she called back and spoke to the manager who has apologized and offered us another bunny, but im not sure im ready for another one stright away as it has been hard dealing with this and not from there either as I dont want this to happen again.
Also they have agreed to help with the vets fee's that we incurred from trying to treat her but how much we are not sure but at least they have taken responsability for what has happened, not that it helps the upset at all :(

Emma x

We got her from a supposedly reputable pet shop. My mum has called them up and at first they were very unhelpful but then she called back and spoke to the manager who has apologized and offered us another bunny, but im not sure im ready for another one stright away as it has been hard dealing with this and not from there either as I dont want this to happen again.
Also they have agreed to help with the vets fee's that we incurred from trying to treat her but how much we are not sure but at least they have taken responsability for what has happened, not that it helps the upset at all :(

Emma x

At least they have taken some responsibility. :(
Perhaps you should let yourself grieve first. If you don't want to get another rabbit from them you could always go to rescue who tend to be a lot more supportive and knowledgeable.

At least they have taken some responsibility. :(
Perhaps you should let yourself grieve first. If you don't want to get another rabbit from them you could always go to rescue who tend to be a lot more supportive and knowledgeable.

I totally agree with this. A pet shop is mostly interested in money, whereas a reputable rescue is interested only in the needs of the bunny. You will likely be better informed about the particular bunny/ies and have more support.

So sad, for you and little poppy
what a tragic thing to happen to you, I hope your ok. You did everything you could to save her.
I think it would be wise not to get another bunny from them, you would always be worrying about bunnies health!

So very sorry.:cry:

I can completely relate to your situation. I got Pepi from P@H we'd had him a matter of days and noticed he was lethargic and ill as well as having a runny bottom. He went to my normal vets and was on high intensive care for 4 days - the bill came to over £2000, we phoned P@H and they collected him from my vet and settled the bill and took him to their campanion care vet. Every bunny that had been kept in that same pen at P@H had a parasite in their stomachs. Every bunny had the same symptoms and every bunny lost their fight. The bunnies weren't from the same litters, but kept together and the parasite had been passed from one to another via their faeces in the enclosure. Pepi was gorgeous and I only had him in my arms for 3 days, he fought on for 7 days but lost his battle. P@H covered everything, didn't charge me anything and offered me another bunny for free. I waited 2 weeks and then I put on a brave face and went in to the store and that day I found and met my soul bun, who will leave an imprint in my life forever. This is teh day my angel Lola came into my life and although everything that happened to Pepi was awful, and I hoped so much he'd pull through if this hadn't have happened, I would never have got Chicky, I would never have met my soul bunny.

Lola was a pet shop bunny and I don't advocate pet shop bunny (I'm for rescue from now on), but I have no regrets about getting her or Pepi or even Brian. Choosing to take up that 'free' bunny was the best decision of my life.

Give yourself time to grieve and when you're ready decide. xx

:cry: I'm so sorry to read this - you did everything you could for that beautiful little bun - Binky free little bun x

Emma x

So sorry to hear this, binky free Poppy.

If you got her from P@H then I know they are having a problem with possible mucoid enteritis in their rabbit stock. I don't know where about you live but at the one I work in (I work in the Companion Care Vets) we have had 5 bunny deaths last week from their stock due to it (1 at my store and 4 at the other store 20 mins down the road) and 2 of the poorly buns I have taken home from work to try to nurse better just before christmas died from it. I know it doesn't help much, but at least they have been good enough to pay the vets fees. Don't think that it was any thing you did at all, you clearly loved her very much.

Sleep tight little one xxx

Thank-You for the comments I still miss her very much but all the support I have recieved has help a lot :)

No she wasnt a pets at home bunny she was from a smaller indapendant shop, the pets at home near to us are one of the better ones I think my sister got her two boys from there and they are a pair of chunks :roll:

Back