• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a significant other who does NOT like your bunnies?

My boyfriend loves the rabbits and is tolerable of the guinea pigs. He will tell me how dumb and horrible they are since they always wake him up in the night and he finds it horrible how they poop where they eat and sleep. But sometimes he will find them cute or funny :)

He just hates me going on about them and other small pets :lol:

Last edited:
luckily my o/h loves the pets as much as i do. :love: if he didn't, i probably wouldn't have got with him tbh. always think there's something not quite right about people who don't like animals. :lol:

My OH is an undercover animal lover...he moans about how much hard work they all are (although I do all the cleaning/feeding/walking/caring!) but he loves them and cuddles them, and is always happy to help with bunny DIY etc. When I met him I had just one little old lady cat named jake and on our first date he brought me flowers, and a little bag of treats for jake :love: she was very wary of strangers but absolutely smitten with him, and he wouldn't have lasted long without her approval!

My OH doesn't like the buns and refuses to help clean them out, if I'm not here I have to get a pet sitter in to see to them!

I imagine I'd have to find a bun sitter too. Not only does my husband not like them, he is scared of Josie because she has bitten before.

J likes to pretend he's indifferent to them....but everyone knows he isn't :lol: You only have to see him snuggled up on the sofa with Marnie giving her kisses to know that he's a big fibber.

He won't do the litter tray though..although I guess he would if I couldn't.

OP...Have you asked him why he is so mean about them? Did you not discuss it before you got them?

It seems to me that the problem here is that your OH doesn't understand the bunnies. I would never ever give up any animal simply because my partner (married or not) didn't like them. I would be hurt and upset if my OH wanted me to rehome an animal when they know how important they are to me. My parents like my bunnies but dislike the mess (they live in my bedroom and hay somehow manages to get EVERYWHERE!) They would never ever ask me to get rid of them.

Are your buns indoor or outdoor? I'm thinking that maybe if he spent some time with them he might understand exactly why you love them so much. This might not work, some people simply have no connection with animals..although I can't quite understand why lol. Have you talked to him about this? If you got rid of the bunnies you would only feel that you needed another animal; I can't ever imagine not having an animal living with me and from what you have said you feel the same way. Surely he could see this and stop getting at you for the bunnies?

My husband tollerates them. He is more of a cat person really. His nickname for them is sh*tbags. That is endearing for him, not nasty. Simply cause of the amount of poo they produce.

I catch him chatting to them all the time and when I had to dash back home when my nephew fell very ill he looked after them for 10 days. Not a moan or a grumble and I came back to two happy bunnies and a husband mumbling about how much their toilet can smell. men!

Back