• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a significant other who does NOT like your bunnies?

My ex didn't, after about 3 years (was fine before then) and would moan about the rescue, the money I spent on them, the time I'd "waste". He also was disgusted I spent £1200 on Autumn trying to make her better and really pressured me into euthanising a bunny who needed monthly dentals, who I'd had 9 months (permanent resident at the time)
Now he is an ex :)

My "now" partner, (and recent, husband :love:) adores them all. He was so upset when Loralei died. He helps clean (without me asking/mentioning) because he likes to spend time with them, and I am sure he slips them treats all the time, as they love him back!

He recently asked when we move, can he have his "own" bunny :lol: Bless, I told him 6 is enough for me, and he can claim Caspian as "his" (my most recent bunny)
He is in America at the moment and is always asking after them and wanting to know what they've got up to :love:

My Husband loves and cares for Louie as much as I do :love:

He even went foraging for dandelions, in the churchyard, on Halloween night! :lol::lol::lol:

my hubby neither loves nor loathes the bunnies, he tolerates them because I love them and as long as I am happy he is happy..

He did concede that he thought all rabbits did was eat lettuce, he didnt realise that there was a lot of care involved and expense.

He wouldnt like anything to happen to them and was really upset when Floppy was PTS.. He says he's not bothered but will secretly sneak them herbs etc when i am not looking...

Last edited:
My ex used to gripe about anything that took attention away from him and I can honestly say I'm sooo happy being single:D

He still has to have a dig about the pets when he comes to collect the kids and he even tried to take one of the dogs to set him loose....he got the dog but the daft git didn't realise they love their mum and he came straight back:lol: (He will never get a second chance to do it though)

Careful with this one...a controlling partner is never a good thing and if he wins with one issue (buns) it will/may only get worse.

My current partner loves all of my animals thankfully though he won't go near 2 of my 16 tarantulas. Sometimes he picks leaves for the stick insects on the way home from college.

My most recent ex on the other hand was indifferent to most of my pets and actively disliked others. When I split up with him I realised that I couldn't tolerate being in a relationship with a non-animal-loving person.

eeewwww Crunchie ?.. Tarantulas,,,!,,, sorry my hubby wouldnt stay in the same street let alone house if I had tarantulas... I wouldnt either, i am terrified...

He says they are my rabbits Stu, Casserole and Dumplin but he named them all:roll: i have caught him cuddling casserole saying 'your my fav' but dont tell the others:roll::lol:, and when ever i go get Stu for a cuddle he comes and has to have a stroke, he did the litter tray once but says never again, but if he had to i know he would:roll::love:

My husband pretends they're nothing to do with him but is always talking to them when he thinks I'm not listening. I caught him with them both on his lap when I came in from work (he was eating an apple at the time and they were trying to mug him) :lol:

He's also always there to comfort me and to bury them for me when they go to the bridge :love:

Careful with this one...a controlling partner is never a good thing and if he wins with one issue (buns) it will/may only get worse.
Yes. I know someone who is anti the pets (cat or cats) and is always making derogatory remarks about them to his OH and the rest of the family. But I don't think his target is the cat - being mean about the cat is a deliberate route to upsetting and unsettling his OH. If it wasn't the cat it would be something else.

I wouldn't drop someone because they didn't like my animals necessarily... but if by verbally sniping about my animals they appeared to be trying to persistently upset me I'd consider the value of the whole relationship. I suppose because, when it came down to it, I wouldn't trust them to look after the animals properly if I were incapacitated in some way (hospital, for eg) for a while. And for me, if you can't trust someone to be good to your animals, there could be no relationship.

I definitely wouldn't be with someone that didn't like my pets. Having an OH that's an animal lover is very important to me, I wouldn't want him saying that I couldn't own what I wanted and I'd want him to be supportful and involved with caring for the animals.

My hubby loves how much enjoyment I get out of my pets. He would never say anything horrible about them. He fusses the dogs and has a bond with them but other than them and the cat,he doesn't have alot of interaction with mine. Which is fine. I would never ask him to clean them out or anything.

I'm single at the moment but was just thinking earlier today how I couldn't be with somebody who wasn't an animal lover, they wouldn't necessarily have to love rabbits but they would have to like them and have to be an 'animal lover' in some way, whether it be cats, dogs.....whatever, just so they would have to respect animals and understand my love for them.

My ex loves the bunnies so I may struggle to find someone as good as him in that respect (although there is lots off room for improvement in other areas :lol:). When I got home he would have done all the cleaning out and would scrub un-eaten ceacs (a Poppy special :oops::roll:) off the kitchen floor without being asked. He looks after them now when I go away, it's nice to know I have someone I can trust, and also someone I can send photos to who appreciates them :lol:

eeewwww Crunchie ?.. Tarantulas,,,!,,, sorry my hubby wouldn't stay in the same street let alone house if I had tarantulas... I wouldnt either, i am terrified...

He likes the cuddly ones that he can pick up and take pictures of but says 2 of them are too quick and unpredictable. The only other thing he was wary of was my imperial scorpion when I had him though he doesn't actually dislike any of them. He's had a good cry at the vets with me when we've been forced to have rats put to sleep as well. Really I couldn't have asked for anyone better.:love:

My ex was a whole different kettle of fish though, he couldn't contain his happiness when one of my birds died (the fact they peeped when the telly was turned up too loud was enough to make him hate them). He claimed that he loved one of the hamsters we had but when I found said hamster at most an hour from death he refused to get out of bed to say goodbye so I was left to find another room to cuddle my dying hamster and cry my eyes out.

There is absolutely no way I would ever consider being in a relationship with a non animal lover again. The animals are too big a part of my life for me not to be able to share it with my significant other.

OP here...Growing up I had two cats that I ADORED, both passed away while I was away at college. I THINK we'd have a cat as a pet now if my husband weren't allergic to them. My husband didn't have any pet while he was growing up (not that his parents didn't like pets-they now have a dog). We've been married for 15 years and adopted a dog within a year of getting married. It was my idea, but he agreed to it. We had her for 13 great years. I of course was the main caregiver, he would occasionally let her outside when she needed out and cleaned up vomit if she happened to throw up and he found/saw it first (ha). He admitted that he thought the house without her was nice and peaceful. My daughter and I took her death very hard. The reason I decided to try another kind of pet was because of my heart ache over our Isabella. I didn't want to go through that pain again. That was 1 1/2 years ago. While my husband wanted to be pet free for a while, I could no longer wait. 8 months without a pet to love was enough, and we adopted Josie in May. In August we got out little Loinhead male.

So no, I couldn't boot my husband out and keep the buns instead. And I fear that I will be too in love with them if I wait much longer and have to give them up.

OP here...Growing up I had two cats that I ADORED, both passed away while I was away at college. I THINK we'd have a cat as a pet now if my husband weren't allergic to them. My husband didn't have any pet while he was growing up (not that his parents didn't like pets-they now have a dog). We've been married for 15 years and adopted a dog within a year of getting married. It was my idea, but he agreed to it. We had her for 13 great years. I of course was the main caregiver, he would occasionally let her outside when she needed out and cleaned up vomit if she happened to throw up and he found/saw it first (ha). He admitted that he thought the house without her was nice and peaceful. My daughter and I took her death very hard. The reason I decided to try another kind of pet was because of my heart ache over our Isabella. I didn't want to go through that pain again. That was 1 1/2 years ago. While my husband wanted to be pet free for a while, I could no longer wait. 8 months without a pet to love was enough, and we adopted Josie in May. In August we got out little Loinhead male.

So no, I couldn't boot my husband out and keep the buns instead. And I fear that I will be too in love with them if I wait much longer and have to give them up.

But even if you gave them up now, wouldn't a part of you hate him for making you do it? I know I would. I hope you manage to work something out where you can be happy too.

Gosh what a difficult situation. I couldn't be with a non animal lover personally plus I had rabbits long before I met my OH. I feel really lucky, he cleans out half the runs every week, cuddles and feeds them, helps to administer meds and so on. He had cried with me when they have died and helped to bury them. There is nothing he wouldn't do. He already has some names picked out for future buns. The bunnies are like our children and very much a joint love.

I hope you can chat to your hubby and reach a solution xx

Back