• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone elses family............

Hehe... I was thinking about this just last night :lol: Usually I find the people will ask a few polite questions and then just glaze over when you start to answer.

I experience the 'rabbits are for kids' attitude a lot and it drives me mad. I can't think of a more unsuitable pet for children to be honest! :roll:

The other thing I get a lot is people comparing whatever I've said to their experiences of the rabbits they had as children. For example:

'Oh, I had a rabbit and a guinea pig together for years and they were fine'

'The rabbit I had as a kid lived in a 2ft hutch it's whole life, it was fine'

'My rabbit lived outdoors and was on his own, they don't need company, he was fine'

Then of course no one listens when you explain why rabbits need space and a companion of the rabbit kind, but there you go! :lol:

That said, my OH is absolutely lovely and he takes it all on board and listens properly when I'm getting animated about something bunny related :love: He's just fab though :D

I dont like to listen to people they are like...

''I used to feed mine lettuce every day''
''he loved chocolate when the kids gave it him''
''ours had a huge absess but we just put savlon on it and it went 2 weeks later''
''i didnt know they had to have hay :s''

and this is true!!!!

''when my rabbits were ill i used to give them bread dipped in whisky and milk...''

it pains me to hear it

know exactly what you mean. i feel like i'm talking to myself. i will text chris every day saying "guess what lily just did" or "pip just did the cutest thing!" and i get "oh right, thats nice" back.

as for family i bought the buns rustic food bowls, hay racks and sample packs from hay experts and was asked why i wasted my money on them. i replied that they were worth it. was told i was mad and they weren't worth it at all. :twisted:

they are my bunnies and i will spend my money on them if i like.

fi x

Jemma&Theo said:
no, but i was thinking the other day, there must be forums like this about really sad stuff like motorbikes, and snakes and cookery and they think they are educating the world and we think they are odd...........

each to their own

My boyfrind is on two motorbike forums! It was him that told me to look for a rabbit forum.
My family love Tango more than they love me! :lol:

chloaster said:
Sometimes when I'm telling hubby about something cute one of them did I realise I sound like my friends who have babies and tell me about them - so I shut up quick! :oops:

That's exactly the same with me - I've just realised that the way i talk about my buns and their poos, mucky bottoms, etc is just like mums with kids! But I like my babies fluffy! :lol:

My boyfriend pretends to listen. But he was the one who suggested i got rabbits, so its his fault ultimately!
Everyone at work says I have a 'menagerie'. I only have two buns, a hamster and some tropical fish! lol!
xxxx

Yep I've got used to now!! :lol: :lol:

The worst comment a woman told me was that when she was a child she got bored of her rabbit so instead of rehoming it, they went out to a field and released it. She was very nice so not nasty or anything just not educated about rabbit care. She was only a child at the time. It does amaze me that peopel even now think its okay or the right thing to relase domestic rabbits into the wild. :roll:

My family all have various different pets and interests and find my bunny interests to be the least of my strangeness however some of my friends aren't even very subtle; I've detected distinct yawning :lol:

Having said that when people find out that I have a bunny [and in the past guinea pigs] I always get the 'you just never grew up did you?'. This usually doesn't bother me but sometimes it gets rather annoying.

I am lucky in the fact most of my work department are animal mad! - and my mum and stepdad let me waffle and join in ( cos they secretly love them just as much as I do) Actually my mum is bonkers about my boy bunny and can waffle about him more than I do! :lol:

Tango has chest problems and a lot of money spent on getting him better/ getting to the bottom of his problem. People who I told just laughed at me for spending more than what he cost so buy (sorry didn't know about rescues at the time :oops: ) my reply was that in most cases babies are free to make but cost more to care for. They soon stopped laughing! :)

When Tilly first got poorly, her vet trip cost about forty pounds, and when I was telling someone, they came out with "All that money on a rabbit?!! Can you sell the medicine to someone else when it dies?" ... I seriously hit the roof :x Went totally crazy, and now I no longer ever mention my bunnies to people who dont ask!! My family are mad about the buns, but there is only so much they can take from me :oops: If Im not going on about the buns, I'll be talking about vets, bun-housing, bun food, bun owners .. I'm scarily obsessed :? Most of my family (grandparents etc) have now accepted that bunnies are my life, and always always ask about them. When it was cold and our heating broke, My Gran phoned me up to ask how Tilly was!!! :eek: I was like, Well shes in her bed with four hot water bottles and porridge, but i'm freezing my butt off :shock: X

I know what you mean. My mum and dad have just been away and I got loads of messages asking how Tango was. I also went out for an evening and they worried that something had happened to me because if something had Tango wouldn't have been fed :lol: They weren't really worried about me! You wouldn't believe it now how much I had to pull the I'm 21 card to let me get him in the first place! :lol:

Back