• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Think Does Should be Routinely Kept in Hospital Overnight After a Spay??

Should Does be Kept in Overnight as a Matter of ROUTINE After a Spay?

• Yes-Please Give Your Reasons

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • No-Please Give Your Reasons

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters
No- I know that my rabbits recover best at home and I have enough experience to nurse them. When Smokey was spayed, she calmed down as soon as she saw Inky and he was very gentle with her. I'm sure that being in familiar surroundings helped her relax and recover.

I think the only reason for a doe to stay in the vets is if there are complications or the owner feels they are unable to cope with nursing them at home.

I voted no, the reason being that I believe I can provide more attention and time and I am confident in signs of illness and giving meds.

I voted yes as Phoebe had undone her stitches shortly after getting her home so I had to take her back to get her stapled.
I found it very stressful caring for them when they wouldn't eat or drink but at the same time I don't want to have to pay even more for the op and it only works if they are monitored overnight. No point in them staying at the vets alone.

No - My vet does surgeries in the morning, looks after them all day, and then releases them at the end of the day around 5:00-5:30pm. She likes to make sure that they come around ok from the anesthetic and start eating. But I would not leave my bunny overnight, because no one is there to watch her, and I would rather have her in my care to obsess and fret over. :lol:

But if I had a vet like Christobel, I might change my mind... :love:

I said no as a good vet shouldn't let them go unless they are eating and pooing. I know I personally can give them good care & would be happy to take them to the vets the next morning or emergency vet if they needed it. I think it would be a good option for vets to offer it to less experienced rabbit owners though if requested.

i said no ... noy routinely ... most of the time i believe buns recover best in familier surroundings ...

As long as the owner is well advised and confident.

I think no too. It is important to remove the stress of the vet (if appropriate) and remind your bunny that it is a bunny - get it back to its normal behaviour.

I find male or female bun, if there were already living in my house, are much less stress by sitting around my house than sitting at a hospital. When Goofball was spay, I picked her up at 5 pm, and she feel comfy at my house and I can observe her as to her diet closely. I don't want to rely on some nurse who occasionally observe her diet, not to mention I know my bun better than any1

i think the best place for them to recoperate is at home in their own bed and an envirament that they are familar to with the people that love them and they love back. Buns usaully respond better to individual love from thier owners.:D

I voted no but thats only because i can only imagine how stressed a bun must be being at teh vets so may not or take longer to eat after the spey. vets force fed Crystal after her last dental because she didnt take interest in her food (i know dentals/spey different thing but both GA) and when she came home she was straight into her food dish :?

however if the rabbit has taken to teh spey quite badly then yes deffinatly kept in.

I haven't answered because I'm unsure. My vet routinely keeps doe's in overnight after spaying. Sooty might be getting spayed soon and I'm not sure if it would be better if she came home so I can keep a close eye on her. I'm really split on this one and I'm reading people's opinions to try and help me decide :D

I've voted no, but that is because our vets are not in the surgery overnight. They do check the animals last thing and every time they have a out of hours surgery visit, but I prefer to have mine home.
I can keep an eye on them overnight, give any meds needed, I know the rabbit better than a vet and it knows me and if I have any worries, I can still call the vet out for a visit ( although they may not thank me for it.:lol:)

I voted no because i think being in a strange environment with new smells and dogs barking etc would only add to the stress of the op whereas at home she will have lots of care and attention and a nice, quiet and warm area to settle and recover. Well, Fidge did anyway :)

Having said that it does also depend on whether the surgery is staffed at night, if nobody is there then it's a definite no. However if there is a night vet on then it may be a good idea if she hasn't pooed/eaten or they aren't happy with her progress or worried about anything

I voted no because the post said "routinely".

I absolutely trust my rabbit savvy vet and if he said "I want her to stay in tonight" then I would agree.
But generally I think the bun should be allowed home in the evening following morning surgery IF everything is ok and IF bun has been given painkillers and IF owner has been given written aand verbal instructions on post-operative care, because I think buns are less stressed and recover better in their own home and more likely to eat.

Clearly it depends of the health of the rabbit post-surgery and each one will be different. But generally for mine I want them home if they're Ok. -Sue:wave:

I voted no as well, as the poll was 'routinely'.

I think if buns had pain relief they're much less stressed and comfortable recovering at home.

That said, if the vet suggested that my bun needed to stay in, I trust him and would follow his advice, but as a matter of routine, then no, I think bun is better off at home.

I voted no. If the op has been done by a competent vet, and proper after care instructions given to the owner, then I feel recovery is far quicker & less stressful at home in familiar surroundings.

The reason I posted this thread was because I was starting to think that maybe Does should be hospitalised overnight after a spay. Mainly due to an apparent increase in frequency of Does on here with post spay complications, some leading to a tragic loss :cry:

Whilst I feel reasonably confident with caring for a Doe post spay I remember all too well my first experiences (when with my previous Vet) and not only was I very inexperienced with Rabbits but my then Vet gave me know real information about what was 'normal' for a Doe recovering from a spay.
Sometimes I read on here that Does are being syringe fed within a couple of hours of getting home. Not only is this unnecessary it can also be dangerous as some Vets appear to discharge the Doe before she is fully awake from the GA. Force feeding a Doe who is only semi awake could lead to the Doe aspirating the feed.

Again I think so much depends on how good the individual Vet is. They should take time to explain what the spay proceedure involves and what the care-giver should expect during their Doe's recovery.
I do believe good post surgical analgesia is essential and I fail to see how having to keep stressing a Doe out with repeated return trips to the Vet to have an analgesia administered is in the Does best interest. I believe a supply of 'take home analgesia' should be given with clear advice re the importance of careful monitoring of the Does eating and faecal output. Having very recently nearly lost a Doe totally because of stress from Vets visits and nursing care I have had a 'slap-in-the-face' reminder of how very important minimising stress is for a Rabbit, especially one recovering from a surgical proceedure.

I agree that the home environment is the least stressful place for a Rabbit to recover. But as many Rabbits will normally be 'outdoor Buns' they will still be out of their comfort zone at home as they will have to be kept indoors overnight after the spay. But if they would not be monitored overnight at the Vets then I still think being at home would be best as long as good analgesia has been given and detailed information about post surgical recovery and care explained to the care-giver.

Thanks for replying to my thread RUers :wave:

Back