• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Think Does Should be Routinely Kept in Hospital Overnight After a Spay??

Should Does be Kept in Overnight as a Matter of ROUTINE After a Spay?

• Yes-Please Give Your Reasons

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • No-Please Give Your Reasons

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters
My vets have just recently changed their policy on overnight stays after GA. They assess the bun after 2 then after 4 in the afternoon. If they eaten and look 'lively' they go home. Previous to that they would stay in no matter what.

Not sure what to vote the 'its mine, I want it with me' side wants to vote no but the 'what if' side wants to say yes. :? :lol:

As an aside, I don't give metoclopramide routinely and have no problems with bunnies not eating /pooing after surgery. It's a slightly outdated concept to give gut stimulants routinely. I prefer to treat the cause of stasis by giving pain relief (both NSAID - Metacam, and opioid) BEFORE anything painful occurs and so the rabbit doesn't experience the pain and feel miserable and inappetant.

I have said no as there is no one at my vets over night and I think my buns are happier at home with me where I can dedicate all my time to one of them after an op.It all depends on how much confidence you have in yourself to look after a post spay bunny.If my bunny wasnt eating of pooing I would ring the vets for the relevant drugs but still keep her at home.This is based on only having one bunny savvy vet at my practice and If I was in difficulty I would ask Jacks-Jane as I have found her knowledge on bunnies better than any vet I have ever seen

I said no, as I think they will do better in their usual surroundings. At the hospital they are often surrounded by the noise and smell of cats and dogs, which isn't helpful for a quick recovery.

Nope.
As some have said, there's no one overnight at my vets, and I always felt mine were better in a more familiar surroundings. :)

I have voted no, i feel i know my rabbits best and i always make sure i am off work for a few days after, to keep a close eye on them.

If i suspect anything they are straight back down the vets :)

i would want each case judged on its individual merits...if the doe was operated on early in the day, and she came round well and seemed relatively lively and was eating, i would want to take her home, especially if she'd been separated from her partner for the op.

If she was still groggy/hadn't eaten i would want her under the constant monitoring of a vet till she perked up - although if there's no overnight staff at the vet, i'd have her home regardless, especially as my current vet is only ten mins from my house.

Hmm. A tricky one. I think they should be kept in until they are eating and drinking at least, and also think if their ops are done later on in the afternoon they should be kept in. On the other hand, if the surgery has no one there after a certain time, i would obviously prefer them home with me :)

I voted yes, because, even though i have had a few bunnies done what with fostering, most people only have 1 or 2 bunnies, so wouldnt know what to look out for :? therefore, the best place would be the vets :) xXx

I haven't voted either way as I see it as if your vet is good at what they do then surely if they think it is best for the rabbit to stay in because of something that has happend either under the GA or coming round from it then
fine but if everything as gone ok and bun came round ok then surely it is best for the bun to come home.

YES. Especially after losing Hermy. They discharged her on the fact she was eating a little. If they kept her overnight, they may have seen what was up, but there was really no way to tell about her heart problem. I am NOT blaming/slagging the vets in any way or form, but spays are extremly traumatic, and I think being in the same enviroment overnight, the day they are spayed will be better for them to settle.... rather than get them up in all that stress, and bring them home, when they have just had a major operation.

I am really torn with this too... I think the environment needs to be as stress-free as possible, so a vet surgery isn't necessarily ideal. However, I think vets should warn owners beforehand that they ought to book some time off work etc and that it is a fairly major (if usually safe) operation. I also don't think enough information is given about post operative care generally beyond regularly checking the wound. I certainly wouldn't have known much about it if I hadn't researched on this forum before I had bunnies spayed.

What I mean by this waffle is that if owners were better prepared, it's unlikely that the rabbit should have to routinely stay at the vets. Owners would be prepared for what is to come and if they couldn't accommodate that, perhaps they could opt for the rabbit to remain hospitalised.

I say no because Spice wouldn't eat anything at the vets after spay (the fussy little :censored::censored: rabbit!). She stayed over night, refused syringe feed and starved herself. As soon as the vets opened i went to get her to bring her back, the vets didnt really want her to go but i reasured them i cud litterally walk her bak in 5mins (although i tend to drive :oops:) if she doesnt eat within the hour.

Got her home and the :censored::censored::censored: rabbit gorged as if shed not been fed for...well a whole night and day... lol :lol:

I havent much experience with this. Ive only ever had one female rabbit and I brought her home the day of her op and I looked after her.

Preferably though I would have liked her to stay in overnight because its such a big op for a rabbit. I do trust the vet though that spayed her and I am sure they wouldnt have let her come home if they werent sure she was ok to do so.

I think rabbits respond better to a familiar enviroment and they recover quicker if they are in a place which smells of themselves with the human and animal company they know, eating their familiar food.

I voted no. I think the doe would be better off in her own environement with loving owners who know what she likes best. Provided those owners know what to look for and are happy to get help if needed straight away.
I think pain relief should be given as standard too.

All my animals be it the rabbits or the guinea pigs stay in the vets overnight.

We started this mainly due to finding that the sows recovered better with not being moved until the next day. It's proved useful on a number of occasions and has allowed animals that are showing problems after ga's to be helped without the added stress of an extra car journey.

All my animals are always admitted with their partners so that they are with them through out the night also thus reducing their stress.
In fact last week my vets had a trio in from me with only one needing to be spayed but they all stayed with her.

As for the stress caused by not being in familiar surroundings well alot of animals are moved out of their surroundings to be brought into houses etc which can also cause stress if they're not used to it.

I can't say yes or no. I work at a vets and we will not send a rabbit home after an op if they still look tired and flat. We will keep it in to monitor and make sure the rabbit is stable before returning home. If the rabbit has come around nicely from the anaesthetic and has started to eat after then we send it home. We do stress to the owner that if the rabbit stops eating or hasn't passed any motions by the next morning to bring them back to the surgery for pain relief and some medication to help them eat. If it was my rabbit I would want them home with me if they seemed to be well enough. I think also that it depends if the rabbit is very nervous and stressed by being at the vets. If we think it will eat and recover better at home we will send them home and have them back in the next day if still not well.

Daphne came to me already spayed so I have not got any experience in getting a Doe spayed but as it is such a big op I would prefer her to stay in over night.

I voted no but then again I suppose I am very much on the fence with this :? Most of our girlies have been fine & have bounced back within a day. However, Jemima was a different story when she had her emergency spey last year & Lottie (my friend's bunny that we lost after being speyed :cry:) has made me think yes. In all honesty they should have both been kept in & I would have been happier if they had - especially with what happened with Lottie :cry:

i would want my bunny home unless there was a specific reason she didnt recover as quick as expected... my vets dont generally get manned overnight and id not feel comfortable with my bunny alone even if it is at the vets for these two reasons i voted no..

in saying that i have no intention of getting a bunny that isnt already done, i nearly died from stress and guilt when i had Alvin done and he thumped the the first ever time at 5am on the day of his op.. then the daily checks seeing his empty bags made me cry :oops:

Back