• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever want a break from your furries?

I wouldn't wish for a break from the animals themselves, but when it's cold and I've got a load of cleaning out to do I wish I could stay warm inside.

But then I do get 'breaks' from my animals when I'm at uni and my mum looks after them, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this :lol: I miss them allll the time when I'm away. I wish I could bring them with me :(

I see my bunnies june - september , december -jan, april, so i dont get to spend as much time with them as i would like and i do miss them like crazy when im not there.

BUT...when i get back to uni, and i wake up at 11am(sometimes 12 shhhh) and im all snuggly and dont have to go outside i do feel a bit happy on the first few days! then i miss them again! and when i go home im so happy to be out there at 7am!:lol::lol::lol:

I had to go shopping for walking boots today and was quite twitchy and grumpy withdrawl symptoms when I got back. :oops: Spenser had been taking his morning doze and not missed me at all. :roll::lol:

Nope :)

I love having all our furries around us - we haven't been away together for almost 4 years & I can't see us getting away for a very long time. Well not with 27 bunnies of our own, 2 foster bunnies & 3 cats - it would be nigh on impossible.

But that doesn't matter, we knew that when we took them on so guess you just accept that there will be certain things you can't do.

I can't say that some days I don't just want to curl up & stay in bed - as well as some days wanting to go straight to bed when I get in from work - but I can't. The furries depend on us & there's nothing for it but to get on with things.

I also love being able to have all our bunsters indoors with us for the winter - especially so this last week. Given our aviary roof is collapsing - it's actually been a good job we brought them all in!! :shock:

I cannot imagine having to keep them outdoors in this weather - especially if they were ill or old. I know they can & do cope with cold weather, but I'd never sleep for worrying about them. I know I'm very lucky to have an understanding hubby & enough space inside to be able to make sure they're all warm & safe indoors over winter :)

Nope - I just wish I could spend even more time with them all - not happy with it going dark early, rain and miserable cold weather coz i can't be out with them as much as I would like. I am off work Weds and weekends and love to spend time outside with them all - PJS, fleece dressing gown, scarf, hat and wellies - GREAT FUN!!! Then lots of cuddles :love::love:

Never, I've not been on holiday for years, most of my leave from work (as well as wages) is spent on improving their living accommodation as well as vet bills:D My Christmas present last year was a shed, my birthday present this year was a shed, I think there's a pattern emerging:lol:

I have 4 indoor buns, Digby, Harry, Gizmo and Dodger, they are indoors due to health problems, Digby is incontinent and wouldn't last 5 minutes outside this weather.

5 of the 7 outdoor buns have dental problems and have to be monitored, which is one thing I hate about the dark cold nights, trying to grapple a bunny to check their faces for lumps and bumps:?

I spend as much time as possible with them at the weekends - so for me the answer is a big no:D

TBH when he was a baby I had one heck of a shock that it was like having a young child, & yes I did want a break at times. But since he grew up I miss him even when he has a dental. The house feels so empty.

Not at all.

I've been staying round my boyfriend's house this weekend and haven't seen them since about half ten yesterday morning, and I won't see them until tonight:(

I've been worrying about them the entire time, thinking their waterbottles will have frozen over, they'll have eaten all their pellets and veggies, Benji won't be eating his hay...

Oh gosh I want to go home:( My family are useless and won't check on them.

Only on the days when I just feel like I'm going through the motions rather than enjoying the things I'm doing for them.

I have to say, the weather is big part of this though! I try to clean them out as soon as I get in from work - in those last few minutes of daylight - otherwise I'm out scrabbling around in the dark. But I've now joined a gym which I go to straight after work (otherwise I wouldn't go back out :lol:) which means its already pitch black by the time I get home. Whereas in the summer I've got the entire evening to clean their litter tray at my leisure.

Usually their little faces make it worthwhile though :love:

xxx

Sometimes it's nice to have a little break. This year it was a nightmare though, and it almost puts me off ever booking a holiday again! I had a guinea pig being syringe fed daily that I had to leave with my poor parents. We ended up speaking every day, and I worried about her the whole time. Oh and I had a hamster needing lots of TLC, so she came with us (sneaked her in!)

I think on the whole, it does benefit us from having a break sometimes - just to recharge the batteries and miss/appreciate them more.

Never, I was talking to someone the other day about this as they were saying 'how do I cope in this weather' to be totally honest it just doesn't bother me. If I ever got the feeling of needing a break from them then I know it is time to stop doing what I do. I love my rescue and I suppose I am very lucky in that I get out of bed every morning and don't dread my job unlike alot of people:D:D. It can be tough at times and very waring but there are more good than bad happenings

i do .. :(..then i feel guilty :([/QUOTE

Don't feel guilty! You know you love them. I love mine to bits so I don't feel guilty admitting that sometimes, as much as I love them and will never neglect them, even for half a day, I would sometimes just like to sit with my feet up rather than go outside in the cold and change litter trays, replace fresh hay, change waterbottles, fluff up bedding (yes, I fluff up their straw/hay mix every night for them!) Like some people with kids just like to get out for a night without them!!

I only have 23 outside buns, there are rescues with lots more than that, goodness knows how they are managing. I just worry as some of ours outside are over 9 years, there is one with a tumour and another with kidney failure and his bowl is constantly frozen :(

I couldn't leave them really as we still haven't had our honeymoon and we have been married 3 years :lol:

Have you tried putting a ball in the bowl? The movement of the ball stops the water freezing over, I did this when I had outdoor buns :wave:

I would love to come and give you a holiday but I suspect you'd never leave the ill buns ;)

Oh yes...answer to the question :lol: Yes, I do, when I come home after a long day and she's nommed wires, lino, chucked hay everywhere, opened the cupboard and ruined food, got into the fridge etc I do think I would like a break. And I only have one! :lol:

Everything is bunny-proofed btw, she's just found a way round it. :roll:

Not from my bunnies, but sometimes from my Cat Simba!

Love him to bits, but when its 3am in the morning and he stands on me and meows because I'm not lying in the correct position for him to be comfy I want a break :lol:

Back