• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you believe in breeding?

Do you believe breeding is okay?

• Yes

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Other...Discuss.

Votes: 23 19.7%

• Total voters
Im against breeding while so many pets sit in shelters waiting for homes.
When I hear the come back "if we didnt breed youve have no pets in the end" it makes my blood boil. I would sleep much better at night if the whole world was banned from keeping pets as to many people abuse the "right". Its sad that I have to think like that but to many pets suffer at the hands of humans. :(

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Totally agree with you!!

I'd gladly have no pets if it meant humans didn't exploit them!!!

I am actually very surprised that so many people on RU are actually ok with breeding :?

I don't understand why loads of you are so against it and say "you should adopt" but I bet hardly any of you have adopted children and have had or want your own birth kids.... :roll:

That's the second time I've seen this comparisson made on here recently and I'm sure I must be missing an obvious link between the two situations. Can someone point it out to me please!:shock:

Some of us look at it from both sides...

Yes, exactly. I can't believe most people here think it's ok buying from pet shops as you have no idea what you are buying. If pet shops stop selling animals I think that the number of rescue animals will decrease (I know this hasn't happened for cats and dogs but they are expensive so worth breeding for cash). Good breeders will then be needed as there may not be enough rescue animals to go around especially if there are only the good type of breeders around which insist animals are returned to them if they can no longer be cared for by the original owner.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Totally agree with you!!

I'd gladly have no pets if it meant humans didn't exploit them!!!

I am actually very surprised that so many people on RU are actually ok with breeding :?

I'm sure most of us are very pro-rescue and would almost always adopt but that doesn't mean you have to be completely against breeding.

That's the second time I've seen this comparisson made on here recently and I'm sure I must be missing an obvious link between the two situations. Can someone point it out to me please!:shock:

well there are animals in rescue centres with no homes, yet animals are being bred which is classed by some as "bad" because it means the rescue animals will have one less possible home taken from them.

Then there's children in adoption centres/orphanages with no home or proper family, yet there's people "breeding and having children", why isn't that classed as "bad"? :roll:

Last edited:
Then there's children in adoption centres/orphanages with no home or proper family, yet there's people "breeding and having children", why isn't that "bad"?

Because we don't give birth to our pets.:shock:

I see the two situations as completely different and I do not have or want children no matter who's spawned them. However even I can see that there must be huge satisfaction in carrying and raising your own children.

Not that there isn't rewards to be gained from adoption but I can completely understand why people want to raise their own children as opposed to adopting.

Because we don't give birth to our pets.:shock:

I see the two situations as completely different and I do not have or want children no matter who's spawned them. However even I can see that there must be huge satisfaction in carrying and raising your own children.

Not that there isn't rewards to be gained from adoption but I can completely understand why people want to raise their own children as opposed to adopting.

yeah and when I'm older, I would like my own children. I'm not saying it's bad just wondering why people aren't against that like they are against breeding animals. Seems selfish in a way I guess.

There's nothing wrong with breeding if it's done well. I think people should have a license to breed animals and could only have a certain amount depending on their set up, then at least there would be some control over it all. :(

There's nothing wrong with breeding if it's done well. I think people should have a license to breed animals and could only have a certain amount depending on their set up, then at least there would be some control over it all. :(

Apparently the council can make you buy a pet shop license if you breed animals to sell. If you can prove that you breed to show and just sell on your "unwanted stock" then you don't have to be registered.

I think that is a stupid rule as the person I know who fell foul of it was a rat breeder and shower so got around it. Rats deal very welll with being shown and it is actually part of the judging process how relaxed they are but other animals such as rabbits really hate it so it is a ridiculous rule.

If there was half-way point for people who do it to produce healthy, long lived animals with great temperaments and check the people homing their animals thouroughly then that would be a good idea to have to have a license but to pay a small fee for it not the heafty pet shop fees now in place.

I personally think the big difference is MOST people keep and support their children, be it through benefits or working, they don't pass them to other people or make money from them, they don't have several litters a year, not saying this is every case...or no breeders are as careful... but it is different. I looked at adopting but we would now be unsuitable as we don't have a spare room. I agree there is a degree of selfishness to it.

well there are animals in rescue centres with no homes, yet animals are being bred which is classed by some as "bad" because it means the rescue animals will have one less possible home taken from them.

Then there's children in adoption centres/orphanages with no home or proper family, yet there's people "breeding and having children", why isn't that classed as "bad"? :roll:

Like I said before, I agree with it if it's not done for fun. :) It's not natural for animals not to breed, we don't go around neutering and spaying humans! :lol: I don't understand why loads of you are so against it and say "you should adopt" but I bet hardly any of you have adopted children and have had or want your own birth kids.... :roll:
Saying that though, I 100% agree with spaying and neutering. All of my rabbits have been done. :) Without breeding, we would eventually have no healthy bred animals. :? Do you all want ill ones? :(

I'm not trying to individually pick you out, but every time I see this subject debated this point is made.

If you believe what you wrote then you are living a long way from the world I know. We cared for a young rex recently who had come from a registered breeder and shower. I hasten to add we did NOT and would NOT purchase from a breeder. His very short life never knew a day without serious health problems. When we managed to find the number of the breeder my OH rang to let her know that she had sold a 10 week old kit with congenital heart disease and that she should review her breeding practices. The breeder's response was that he was healthy when she sold him and that "he caught it from you" and then hung up the phone.

This was a registered breeder so try to imagine the ignorance of backyard breeders.

I'm not trying to individually pick you out, but every time I see this subject debated this point is made.

If you believe what you wrote then you are living a long way from the world I know. We cared for a young rex recently who had come from a registered breeder and shower. I hasten to add we did NOT and would NOT purchase from a breeder. His very short life never knew a day without serious health problems. When we managed to find the number of the breeder my OH rang to let her know that she had sold a 10 week old kit with congenital heart disease and that she should review her breeding practices. The breeder's response was that he was healthy when she sold him and that "he caught it from you" and then hung up the phone.

This was a registered breeder so try to imagine the ignorance of backyard breeders.

Anyone can become a registered breeder, doesn't mean they are good unfortunatley. :( I'm sorry to hear of your loss. :cry:

That's absolutely awful. This is the sort of breeder I do not agree with. I believe that it is down to the individual purchasing from a breeder to find out what their breeding practices are. This breeder appears to just be interested in breeding pretty rabbits which will sell and not actually care about breeding healthy animals. Just because a breeder is registered does not mean that they are ethical. It is up to the person purchsing the animal to decide this for themselves.

My argument with pet shops is that people cannot possibly have access to the person breeding the animals so this sort of thing will go un-noticed and shouldn't be allowed to.

That's absolutely awful. This is the sort of breeder I do not agree with. I believe that it is down to the individual purchasing from a breeder to find out what their breeding practices are. This breeder appears to just be interested in breeding pretty rabbits which will sell and not actually care about breeding healthy animals. Just because a breeder is registered does not mean that they are ethical. It is up to the person purchsing the animal to decide this for themselves.

My argument with pet shops is that people cannot possibly have access to the person breeding the animals so this sort of thing will go un-noticed and shouldn't be allowed to.

To me the really sad point of this was that he was such a beautiful little boy so full of affection who stole our hearts with his bravery. We had to have him put to sleep 5 days before Christmas which was the cruelest blow. This breeder will continue on her way and serve up the same anguish we feel to others in the future. To her winning tacky ribbons and making money is the prime motive. Health does not get a look in.

To me the really sad point of this was that he was such a beautiful little boy so full of affection who stole our hearts with his bravery. We had to have him put to sleep 5 days before Christmas which was the cruelest blow. This breeder will continue on her way and serve up the same anguish we feel to others in the future. To her winning tacky ribbons and making money is the prime motive. Health does not get a look in.

That's so sad and too many are like this. This is why I feel so strongly about using breeders which have good ethics and are happy to share what they have learned. I will always get rescue animals as they deserve a chance but I have also found in the case of my well bred guys that they have helped rehabilitate by mistreated animals.

Im finding this very interesting with everyones views:)
There are good and bad breeders like there are good and bad rescues:roll:
I knew a rescue close to me the lady came across very caring towards animals and i offered to foster for her and then there were complaints about the smell coming from her house that the RSPCA went in and found dead animals and animals that were very sick and had to be put to sleep:cry:
But that does not mean im judging any other rescues because not everyone is the same:)
All the rabbits i bred left here with a big folder full of information that i got from the RWAF so all new owners had as much info as poss.
And i would of never rehomed a rabbit that was ill in anyway and i also asked the new owners lots of questions and always advised them to make sure that they got them neutered and i still get updates on some of the rabbits i rehomed which really makes my day:love:
But all you can do is advise people the same as rescues can advise new owners :love:

I was going to say yes I believe in breeding to keep 'pure' breeds going, then the more I thought about it I have never owned a pure bred animal (though I have always wanted an Arab horse - settled for a part bred). And the more rabbits I see free to good home because owners are bored with them, no time etc etc especially when they are only a few months old I am saying no, unless of course the rabbit population ends up on the 'endangered species' list.

Some of us look at it from both sides...

I afraid am very one sided when it comes to breeding & I will openly acknowledge that - I'm not going to apologies for my views nor change them.

When you've been involved in rescues for a long time like me & many others on here, you may well understand why I & some others have the views that we do. Regardless of what anyone posts to justify breeding, with the exeption of protecting endangered species - I will never change my view!

Sorry but I really do feel that breeding is only done for humans selfishness :(

Back