• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you believe in breeding?

Do you believe breeding is okay?

• Yes

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Other...Discuss.

Votes: 23 19.7%

• Total voters
I am not smug:lol: Far from it...

I don't think any domesticated rabbits should be in the wild:shock:

In my perfect world no animals are bred from, eaten or hurt by anything, Also in my perfect world, no wild animals suffer and die. Between you and me I think its called heaven:lol::oops:

But I HATE what breeders do:D

I think most people would like that no animals are hurt/killed in the world. Sadly thats life... pets that are owned by good owners, like people here, have it much better than wild animals. Wild animals are affected by people as well.

I am not smug:lol: Far from it...

I don't think any domesticated rabbits should be in the wild:shock:

In my perfect world no animals are bred from, eaten or hurt by anything, Also in my perfect world, no wild animals suffer and die. Between you and me I think its called heaven:lol::oops:

But I HATE what breeders do:D

Hasn't stopped you benefiting from what 'breeders' do and keeping rabbits of your own though has it? :roll:

Helen xx

Hasn't stopped you benefiting from what 'breeders' do and keeping rabbits of your own though has it? :roll:

Helen xx

:roll: Feels slightly insulting TBH. And vet bills and heart ache are not great. Why the personal attack? I have tried to word my posts in a nice way:?

I have not said what I truly think either;)

:roll: Feels slightly insulting TBH. And vet bills and heart ache are not great. Why the personal attack? I have tried to word my posts in a nice way:?

We've had 17 pages of good, honest debate and there's always one who has to spoil it :roll:, don't let it worry you

Done properly with healthy genetic lines, no inbreeding, no selectivly mutating them to be unhealthy, and fantastic living conditions then I have no problem with it.
When it's done for fun it :censored: me off

I agree. For fun it :censored: me off and for money where the welfare of the animals is secondrary it :censored: me off even more.

Call it what you will but I don't think what I've said is out of line. I'm entitled to an opinion and I'm entitled to question that of others too, this is a forum after all.

I don't agree with your points and I don't quite understand why you can hold a view that compromises you yourself keeping animals the way you do now, but thats just me ;).

'Breeders' as you term them are not all the same. I breed tortoises, and do so only for conservation reasons. Therefore by your insinuation that all breeding is bad and breeders are all the same, I could easily see that as a personal attack.

Helen xx

Call it what you will but I don't think what I've said is out of line. I'm entitled to an opinion and I'm entitled to question that of others too, this is a forum after all.

I don't agree with your points and I don't quite understand why you can hold a view that compromises you yourself keeping animals the way you do now, but thats just me ;).

'Breeders' as you term them are not all the same. I breed tortoises, and do so only for conservation reasons. Therefore by your insinuation that all breeding is bad and breeders are all the same, I could easily see that as a personal attack.

Helen xx

:lol: My dream job is conservation:lol: What breed of tortoise, I love them but hibernating scares me:oops:

I in no way included conservation, that would be nuts. Plus we have to do it as it is us that caused the damage in the first place:(

Ok I haven't read the whole thread as it is WAY too long!

I do not agree with breeding, except if it done with wild animals in some kind of conservation project. I can't quite decide what I think of that yet :roll:

I do not agree with BYB, people who breed for profit, etc. etc. because of the obvious.

The reason I do not agree with what people are calling 'responsible breeders' is because I cannot believe that they are putting the animals benefit first and doing everything you can to make them as happy as possible - which is what as a responsible pet owner you should do. Rabbits for example, (in most cases) are much much happier with a bonded friend/s. You can't have that if your rabbits aren't neautured. Also 'whole' rabbits are driven by hormones and can get fustrated, does are at risk from uterine cancer. The list goes on!

Rescues do an amazing job, but some people just attempt to undo their work by going and bringing more animals into this world!

The people who are for breeding to conserve a breed (note I said breed not species), please tell me why you would want to conserve the sore hocks that Rex bunnies suffer from or the fact that bulldogs can rarely give birth naturally because of the way they have been bred to have small hips :cry:

I'm talking about rabbits that are well cared, and I suspect that most rabbits on this forum are well cared for. do you feel sorry for your rabbits having to live with you, getting everything they could possibly want? they have no fear of predation, they get medical care, they get good food and don't have to go looking for it. most rabbits on this forum live in luxury and are very well cared for, and I'm sure these rabbits want to live with their owners, not out in the wild.

It seems hypocritcial that people on this forum say it's wrong to keep pets in hutches or in a room in the house, when you all own pets yourself. If you felt it was so wrong, you wouldn't own pets in the first place, you'd all put them in rescue or release them into the wild, and you wouldn't get any more pets, but you all still own your pets and I'm sure most of you will continue to get pets in the future. It doesn't really add up to your statement. :?

No, but I feel sorry for the domesticated rabbit population as a whole I would never say, release all the pet rabbits into the wild, I wouldn't of thought anyone else would have said that either. If I could somehow wave a magic wand I would say that, just let the (pet) rabbit population die out.

Rabbits for example, (in most cases) are much much happier with a bonded friend/s. You can't have that if your rabbits aren't neautured. Also 'whole' rabbits are driven by hormones and can get fustrated, does are at risk from uterine cancer. The list goes on!

you can. some breeders keep their intact does in pairs or groups, and when one doe has a litter, the other doe helps them bring up the babies. and good breeders should neuter all the rabbits after their breeding is done, and kept by the breeder to the end of their days.

Helen xx

Debate is good but please be careful not to turn it personal otherwise it's just an attack on someone. :)

No but to a certain extent I only keep them "because they're there". They already existed because of breeding in one way or another, and while mine are well looked after, there's a whole lot around the country that aren't. I would happily forego ever having rabbits again if it meant that no-one was able to keep them alone in a 3ft box :)

No but to a certain extent I only keep them "because they're there". They already existed because of breeding in one way or another, and while mine are well looked after, there's a whole lot around the country that aren't. I would happily forego ever having rabbits again if it meant that no-one was able to keep them alone in a 3ft box :)

I agree with you Santa.

Back